Do you drive when wearing heels

Guest Loveshiheels

I never leave the house in anything less than a pair of 6" ,single sole, spiked heels. I do have a pair of Rockports in the car, In the event I get stranded or have to change a tire. I never worry about damageing the heels becouse I have a huge bath towel ( instead of a floor mat ) on the floor that protects my shoes. Also, I can replace the towel with a clean towel whenever. Mike

The towel is an excellent idea. I have put a hole in a floor mat driving in stiletto high heels. I will use the towel and see how that works.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to make sure I was free to reply to this. The last time I commented about driving in heels it was for women only. My bad. Anyway, I had just picked up some 2 1/2 inch sandals at Payless. I slipped them on in the car just to see how it felt to drive in heels. I had no trouble. I did notice that I needed to lift my foot higher from the accelerator to the brake pedal. Last month I completed a charity walk in 4 inch heels and left them on for the drive home (about 60 miles of iinterstate) I had no problems at all.

I drive in high heels all the time. I use a woollen rug underneath, so I never have problems with damaged or worn heels. Not so clever if I get stuck in the mud however.......

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

• 2 weeks later...

All the time. This weekend I'll take a spare tractor to our land in far northern Wisconsin. A 330-mile (550 km) ride without ever leaving the state and will wear either my 5" Zoey boots with a thick heel from Macy's or a new pair with a wool fabric that goes up to the knee, I got them at DSW in Chicago on Saturday and they have a 5.5" stiletto heel. Will have to dress warmly though as temperatures are not expected above 20F (-7C) at any time this weekend. HappyinHeels:wave:

I alway throught it was unsafe to drive whist wearing heels. What do you think.

No, you don't drive when you're wearing heels. Anything else is fine but not driving. You could have an accident (as I did) and if you were unlucky you might be held responsible for the death of one or more people. Perhaps even a whole family.

If you are male , involved in an accident and were found to be wearing heels then the majority of the public would gladly see you hung I'm sure.

(as I did) and if you were unlucky you might be held responsible for the death of one or more people. Perhaps even a whole family.

If you are male , involved in an accident and were found to be wearing heels then the majority of the public would gladly see you hung I'm sure.

Well actually, I DO drive in heels as it is my choice and no-one else tells me otherwise.

It is a published fact, that the cause of 75% of all road traffic accidents in this Country are caused by.....excess speed. Police figures show this time and time again. Almost 20% are caused by drunk drivers or drivers under the influence of drugs. Which leaves 5%, and there is no evidence to show that high heels have ever been the cause of - or involved in - anything more than a handful of accidents. If a high heeled shoe causes you to drive at excess speed, or interrupts your concentration, then it could be cited as a contributory factor, but that is all. Certainly the Police suggest driving in a more practical shoe yes, however it is not a prosecuting offence to drive in heels - and if they were THAT dangerous, it would be.

There are far, far more reported incidents of domestic violence and attacks involving high heels, than there are motoring accidents.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Yes I do drive in heels, and without any problems, but I personally find 4" is about my limit for comfort and safety. Strangely enough I found the most comfortable driving position while wearing heels was when I was driving a 40 ton truck! because you are stepping down on the pedals instead of pushing forward on them as in a light vehicle.

... It is a published fact, that ... 75% of all road traffic accidents in this Country are caused by.....excess speed. Police figures show this time and time again. ... If a high heeled shoe causes you to drive at excess speed, or interrupts your concentration, then it could be cited as a contributory factor, but that is all. ...

I hesitate to criticise, Pussy, as your comments are well-meant and correct in essence. But a little more precision is needed to put things in perspective.

Accidents are not caused by speeding or by wearing a particular type of shoe (or no shoes at all) or by e.g. eating a sandwich or doing some other act. They are caused by a failure to control a vehicle correctly - to which end any of the other acts may be a contributory factor but not a cause as such. The various offences arise from such a failure to control or to drive in accordance with arbitrary legal restrictions (speed limits, signs, alcohol limits etc) or for using a vehicle that is not in a safe condition. Any of those failings will be cited if a prosecution is brought but the essential wrongdoing is one of not controlling the vehicle properly, having regard to all the prevailing circumstances that every driver is obliged to take into account as soon as he gets behind the wheel.

I neither condone nor condemn driving in heels or in any other manner that might interfere with necessary control. It is the driver's judgement and, alas, an error may be made. But, if there is no accident, there is unlikely to be any related offence (or, at least, any detected and actionable offence). As you say, merely wearing heels is not (yet) considered a specific offence - contrast with being presecuted for being 'under the influence' even if there has been no movement of the vehicle, let alone any accident.

What does worry me is the reported trend of prosecuting for alleged lack of control when e.g. eating an apple at the wheel in stationary traffic. Doing something that might, if continued, contribute to poor control is not the same as actually losing control and (unlike DUI or using a phone) has not yet been made the subject of a specific offence.

Mind how you go!

Maybe a stupid question - when driving, where do you put your heel? I've driven in heels a couple of times, but noticed that I tend to put my heel to the left of the pedal, with only the ball of my foot on the pedal. It ends up that my foot to leg angle is about 90 degrees. I don't have that full foot flex that you'd have when wearing heels. Sort of feels like I'm cheating. So, do other that "drive in heels", is your heel at the base of the gas pedal (requiring that full foot extension)?

I love to drive in heels and never have had a problem. motorcycles no problem, i had even completed a 20' motocross jump in 4" slingbacks. But especially on long road trips if I started to get a drousy i would slip on some sex pumps and perk right up. So in my opinion I drive safer in heels.

or by wearing a particular type of shoe (or no shoes at all) or by e.g. eating a sandwich or doing some other act. They are caused by a failure to control a vehicle correctly - to which end any of the other acts may be a contributory factor but not a cause as such. The various offences arise from such a failure to control or to drive in accordance with arbitrary legal restrictions (speed limits, signs, alcohol limits etc) or for using a vehicle that is not in a safe condition. Any of those failings will be cited if a prosecution is brought but the essential wrongdoing is one of not controlling the vehicle properly, having regard to all the prevailing circumstances that every driver is obliged to take into account as soon as he gets behind the wheel.

I neither condone nor condemn driving in heels or in any other manner that might interfere with necessary control. It is the driver's judgement and, alas, an error may be made. But, if there is no accident, there is unlikely to be any related offence (or, at least, any detected and actionable offence). As you say, merely wearing heels is not (yet) considered a specific offence - contrast with being presecuted for being 'under the influence' even if there has been no movement of the vehicle, let alone any accident.

What does worry me is the reported trend of prosecuting for alleged lack of control when e.g. eating an apple at the wheel in stationary traffic. Doing something that might, if continued, contribute to poor control is not the same as actually losing control and (unlike DUI or using a phone) has not yet been made the subject of a specific offence.

Mind how you go!

Very interesting. I recently received my first and only speeding ticket - and rather than have 3 points put on my licence and pay a fine of £60.00 - I chose to attend a Driver Awareness Course held at the Police Driver Instruction Centre at Winfrith, Dorset UK.

The course was taken by two Driving Instructors and a Police Officer.

All afternoon, we were reminded that the CAUSE of most accidents on the roads are a) Lack of concentration and anticipation...and :) Excess speed.

A driver's inability to control the vehicle after the accident has begun is a secondary factor - which can be avoided if you strictly observe speed limits and thus allow yourself more reaction time . At least, that's what the Police Officer and Driving Instructors told us.

I guess they were wrong then.

jwhite44. Befor I retired, I drove eighteen wheelers for 38 years. In my car I drive in 6" high heels everytime I go out. I also drove the big truck in 5" high heels for a time. Having owned several different makes and moddles of cars, I found ( due to design ) some cars let the driver, drive sitting at different positions. All cars are different, but I still had to rest the heel to the left of the pedal. I have millions of miles on the road accident free. Nock on wood. Mike

... All afternoon, we were reminded that the CAUSE of most accidents on the roads are a) Lack of concentration and anticipation...and :lmao: Excess speed.

A driver's inability to control the vehicle after the accident has begun is a secondary factor - which can be avoided if you strictly observe speed limits and thus allow yourself more reaction time . At least, that's what the Police Officer and Driving Instructors told us.

I guess they were wrong then.

Pussy: this is not the place for a detailed exposition on the legal doctrine of causation - nor do you want one! What you were told (and said yourself before) is essentially correct in lay terms but it is not the full story. (And, given the purpose of the course, you might well expect some embellishment or exaggeration to take place to pursuade everyone to mend their ways.)

Yes, most accidents will have poor concentration/reaction or speed as an indirect contributory factor but neither is the direct cause of an accident. Think about it: you can drive safely for miles at excessive speed or with a wandering mind (as many do!) but there will only be a problem when adequate control of the vehicle is lost - for that or some other reason, e.g. a burst tyre or black ice. It is that loss of control (for whatever reason) which is the direct cause of the accident.

You go on to talk of loss of control 'after the accident has begun'. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that - presumably a failure to react correctly when a collision or other dangerous situation has become obvious - but not yet inevitable. Yes, that is a secondary matter; it is not the same as the failure to control the vehicle which led to the danger in the first place.

If we go back to my example, one may drive at excessive speed for miles without a problem. Suddenly, an obstacle is seen in the driver's path. He reacts swiftly and surely and stops or steers round the obstacle. He has not lost control and there is no accident. Alternatively, he fails to see the obstruction in time or fails to react properly when he does (or both); his vehicle is then not under proper control and some sort of accident takes place - the cause being that lack of control (but not his speed or slow response as such).

OK - this is something of a semantic argument and I accept that speed etc can be viewed simplistically as the 'cause' of many accidents although in reality it is nothing more than a scene-setter or influencing factor, however crucial. I would be hard pressed to convince you that jumping off a high building was not the 'cause' of death in the street below - but the true cause is the failure of the human body to withstand the impact on landing. The jump itself was neither fatal nor particularly unpleasant; the arrival at ground level was however both! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I drive in heels quite often... I know that safety as a factor keeps coming up in threads like this. I say use common sense, if you feel confident you can respond quickly and safely to an incident just as you normally would, then by all means its fine. If however, you dont feel you have complete control of your pedal responsiveness, then don't do it. The way I guage it is this: if it is a sensible shoe that I know I can briskly walk in for a long period of time without any issue, and I test to make sure the heel does not catch on the carpet or the pedal as I move quickly from pedal to pedal, then it should be no problem to drive in. However, I cannot comfortably do a brisk walk in 6" heels for more than about 20 seconds, and I don't feel I can confidently control the pedals while wearing them, so I should never drive in them.

Much of the time I drive in heels Being aware of that end of my body I am more cautious but more so because of the foot angle I am less of a race driver. Different vehicles all have different feel and adjusting is just the same as without Back in the 70s my car was a reliant 3 wheeler that had a cramped peddle area, big work boots were impossible and my 5" platforms were almost as difficult but that was fitting the leg length in. for those overseas here's a picture of a standard Reliant Regal 21E (Extras) Mine had the back cut of and converted to a pick up I thought it looked better (still ugly) and somewhere I have a picture of it, somewhere. it worked it little ends off and gave me great fun even on two wheels..... Al

post-14144-13352293144_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I drive in my boots with no issues. I'm probably more careful driver then and it adds to the enjoyment wearing them all the time, etc. Platform boots are the only ones I can't drive with. I have tried though but I wouldn't be safe.:)

I love wearing heels while driving. My favourite is the classic 5.5" black pumps. I have no problems driving in platforms either. My wife thinks it is cool that a guy can handle a manual transmission vehicle in high heels. I take long business trips by car and I probably have more hour behind the wheel in my heels than many of our lady friends.I own I brand new Chevvy Cruze and I get a huge kick out of the driving well heeled...lolRock on!CheersLegzG

• 1 month later...

I love wearing heels while driving. I wear heels as soon as I jump out of bed while getting ready for work. I then slip on some boots during the winter and wear them while driving to work. I then change to guy shoes when I get there. Once I leave work - back on with the heels and I am in heels at home till I go to bed.

These are some pictures of wearing heels while driving. Hope you like them :silly:http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/bernheels/Driving%20in%20heels/IMG00639.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/bernheels/Driving%20in%20heels/platformswhiledriving3Small.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/bernheels/Driving%20in%20heels/SAM_0640.jpg

Bernheels

I love driving in heels too. When I used to drive for work I'd often make long trips in my heels. I never had any safety issues with that (actually maybe it was even safer as there'd be no chance of feeling sleepy at the wheel wearing my heels).

I've also never had an issue with scuffing. I've found it's more comfortable to bring the heel tip back a bit and pivot on it, extending the ankle for more gas instead of rocking onto the back of the shoe to lift off the gas. If the more limited range of movement means you can't floor it and accelerate aggressively then that's probably safer too (as Alsheels said, "less of a race driver").

For me the problem with the extra heel-height of platforms is banging your knee not having enough space to lift your foot and apply it safely to the brake, so I'd avoid wearing them for driving. The worst has to be flip-flops or flat mules - way more dangerous than heels I think.

A girl friend of mine once told me she prefers driving in heels as she feels she has more control of the pedals. Maybe the heel height is an advantage for smaller feet?

If you like it, wear it.