Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

That blogspot was interesting, especially since there's a pic of me on page 62 of the first slideshow:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lolla72002/HighHeelsForMen?feat=flashslideshow#5361683868492867618

Thighbootguy showed up there too!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

That blogspot was interesting, especially since there's a pic of me on page 62 of the first slideshow:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lolla72002/HighHeelsForMen?feat=flashslideshow#5361683868492867618

Thighbootguy showed up there too!

Basically everybody is in there. Kneehighs checks in at number 298 and I come in at 485®. If you're not showing up there, you're just not trying hard enough!

boyslegs good or bad it doesnt really matter as long as they are talking about it, you are always going to get people that either love or hate the idea, even bad publicity can spark the imagination of someone who likes the idea.

• 2 months later...

I found it recently at High Heels for Men blog,

http://highheelspassion.blogspot.com/2010/08/man-in-high-heels.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

What can I say?

I think that le mademoiselle looks excellent!

I'm impressed - especially by the first picture. Great length coordination, elegance, class, good matching of garment lengths and materials, awesome silhouette... and the legs many women would kill to have. I'm fond of the photo, despite the fact that I'd crop it to remove the fragments of a couch and picture. Or, even better, I'd use wider angle... the interior seems arranged with good taste and worth photographing as well.

As for the second one, I like it for the obvious deathrocker / old-school goth aesthetics, and many of you know that I'm into the scene :).

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

• 7 months later...

Men in stilettos at Toronoto Fashion Week video on You Tube

Well, that was certainly interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get this thread moved to the For the Guys section, to give it the exposure it deserves (more traffic circulates in the For the Guys)

Anyways, a major breakthrough in the world of high fashion occurred for men who wear heels. It's in the May issue of American Vogue.

When I was going through my new copy, reading the contributors section, I saw in the lower right corner a photo of a man. A man in chunky heel calf high boots with buckle details around the ankles. The same man in a skirt. And next to his photo were the words, "The Man in the gray flannel skirt, Jon-Jon Goulian" As I studied the photo, he still appears as a MAN. There is no wig. No fake breasts. No fake hip pads.

A contributor for American Vogue? THE FINAL WORD in fashion? I had to learn more. As fast as I could, I read that Jon-Jon had, "spent more than two years in his highly anticipated new memoir The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt"

Vogue's own words on the topic? "What will readers find most surprising? 'The extent to which a man can suffer so painfully from bodily and sexual insecurities, and, further, can be willing to discuss these insecurities so intimately and graphically.'"

Incidentally, I started to wonder if there was going to be stark mention of his sexual orientation. Nowhere in the article did I find a specific reference to his sexual preference. In fact, I read in fascination as Jon-Jon told his tales of going to high school prom in a skirt and pumps and leggings with the most popular girl in high school. How they went shopping together, wore the same clothes, exchanged clothes....and how he reunited with her 20 some years later.

I know the words on page 114 will ring curious with many here, "...shaved my underarms, waxed my chest, and started wearing lip gloss and eyeliner. Stirrup pants, halter tops, UGG boots, sarongs, and my mother's perfume..." The fact is, Jon-Jon did all that and implicitly (based on an inductive reasoning from the 2 page article) still appeared as a man. There was no mention of a female alter ego.

From what I read, Vogue didn't really comment favorably or unfavorably on the "crossdressing" issue in this article. They let Jon-Jon tell his tale without political commentary. Most of all, they let Jon-Jon tell his tale without the usual defense of stilettos being the exclusive aesthetic territory of an "all girls club."

The most exclusive fashion magazine in the world now tolerant of men who wear women's clothes and arguably, even empathically embracing the emotional challenges inherent in those who pursue such lifestyle choices.

Yes, this article received the stamp of approval straight from the Queen Bee of fashion, Anna Wintour.

Let everybody here take heed, the respect among the high fashion industry you have long cried for already exists. It's up to you as an individual to act on your beliefs. As well, I look forward to following the press that will follow this book.

p.s. I'll upload scans of the article tomorrow when I get home for readers who don't have access to the May American Vogue yet.

That certainly is an interesting perspective.

In recent years, there has certainly been a tolerance to men in heels in the high fashion arena, if not exactly a celebration of it. However, in the vast majority of cases this appears to have mostly been done in a highly camp way and almost always promoted by people who were very obviously of the gay orientation. The video you linked to just a few posts back is typical of such media coverage.

We are barely emerging into the wider world with this. We're still largely in the situation faced by women a century ago, where if you wore trousers then "you must be a lesbian". The new article moves the debate on another small stiletto-heeled step and that can only be a good thing.

At present, there are almost zero Google results for

http://www.google.com/images?q=%22Jon-Jon+Goulian%22 but it is one to watch in the future.

The article is scanned below for people to read. I should make a few things clear: 1. Vogue is the world thought leader when it comes to fashion. What Vogue does, the rest of the world follows. While there are 3 Vogues that share the top tier status (Italy, France, and American), American Vogue reigns as the Final global though leader when it comes to fashion--largely because of Anna Wintour. For American Vogue to place their stamp of approval on this article is, to the world of fashion, a justification for a similar attitude towards men who wear gender non-comformist clothing while still appearing as men. I haven't read the book though, so I don't know the deeper details. 2. I personally no longer believe in the "we" aspect of obtaining large scale acceptance. To me, there is no "we". The "we" of hhplace.org is likely too small and insignificantly numbered a community on the internet--let alone in Real Life--that "we" will likely obtain our victories on a case-by-case basis. One. Person. At. A. Time. For many years to come. 3. IMHO, it doesn't matter if other guys who wear heels are gay and/or campy. People in high fashion are desensitized to quirky dressing. See Anna Dello Russo's fruit head pieces, Lynn Yaeger's quirky dresses, Daphne Guinness. The fashion industry respects people who have FUN with their fashion more than they do their sexual orientation or campy idiosyncrasies. Again, IMHO, there is no "we". Tolerance/acceptance for men in heels will likely be won on a case-by-case basis for many years to come.

post-486-133522939475_thumb.jpg

post-486-13352293948_thumb.jpg

post-486-133522939483_thumb.jpg

post-486-133522939486_thumb.jpg

We don't hear much from former Russian republics; perhaps Di Marni in the Ukraine and very little else.

There's a thriving fashion shoe industry in Ukraine and Georgia:

and
and others.

It doesn't take a lot of searching to find videos from Tbilisi Fashion Week, Ukraine Fashion Week, Georgian Fashion Week and so on.

Again, IMHO, there is no "we". Tolerance/acceptance for men in heels will likely be won on a case-by-case basis for many years to come.

Couldn't agree more. But then, I never worried about acceptance anyway. I just go about my business dressed the way I like, if people choose to accept it, fine, if not, still fine.

Regarding the Ukraine show follow through to facebook for KAZAKY and there is one very huge following, with you tube hits running at 6 figures.

Al

MARWENCOL: The True Story of Mark Hogancamp

An outstanding documentary film on the life of Mark Hogancamp, who was beaten senseless for being a "crossdresser" by 5 thugs outside of a bar in Kingston, New York.

There are a couple of direct references to his heel wearing as a man, in the film. At 53 minutes while showing his closet to the camera and at 1:15 where he is shown talking to a man and woman about his heel wearing.

The film is viewable in Watch Instantly format on Netflix.

The video at the bottom of the guy strolling around the mall is really cool, despite the lame music, and yes, he is fully CD (except maybe the head, didnt get a good look at him from the neck up), but he makes those heels and the outfit look great, anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great article kneehighs. Comments mixed, but good article. The day is coming.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.