Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

50 minutes ago, kneehighs said:

I already know some here will have strong opinions against this line, because it's innovation doesn't represent the interests of "critical mass"  (Sears, Debenhams).  And that's fine.  I look forward to hearing their strong opinions.  

Oh hell - I don't think Sears, Macy's, Nordstrom's or any of the big chains really know what men want. If they did they might be doing better than they are.

As for Alejandro Gomez Paloma and his designs - - Not really any stranger than some of the other designers put out there for men.

Mens fashion really hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. Jeans and t-shirts are just that. The three piece suit is pretty much the same with different cuts. About the only thing that has changed is that men don't wear Fedora's any more. As a whole, men no longer dress up unless they have too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heelster said:

Oh hell - I don't think Sears, Macy's, Nordstrom's or any of the big chains really know what men want. If they did they might be doing better than they are.

As for Alejandro Gomez Paloma and his designs - - Not really any stranger than some of the other designers put out there for men.

Mens fashion really hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. Jeans and t-shirts are just that. The three piece suit is pretty much the same with different cuts. About the only thing that has changed is that men don't wear Fedora's any more. As a whole, men no longer dress up unless they have too

I think part of the problem is that even men don't really know what men want--and I'm referring to the demographic around which you and I work--blue collar, heavy industry/construction. The fact is, I know very well that I look better when I take even two minutes to throw something on better than what I wear to work, and I think that's true of most people, whether they want to admit it or not. The question is, why don't they want to admit it?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

The question is, why don't they want to admit it?

Good question - I think it boils down to 'do they have too'. For a lot of guys, there is absolutely no reason to. Then again, some of the wives don't dress much beyond the men. Just go to any Walmart in the rural areas.

Edited by Heelster

I remember my mother always dressing up in her fine travelling clothes, complete with gloves, hat etc whenever we went on an airplane. While I am not exactly a clothes horse, some of that rubbed off on me. I always dress nicely when I travel and despair at the sight of most of my fellow passengers - shorts, flip-flops, torn T-shirts, looking like they just came off the beach. Both sexes are pretty bad but the men are worse. Real slobs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

I remember my mother always dressing up in her fine travelling clothes, complete with gloves, hat etc whenever we went on an airplane. While I am not exactly a clothes horse, some of that rubbed off on me. I always dress nicely when I travel and despair at the sight of most of my fellow passengers - shorts, flip-flops, torn T-shirts, looking like they just came off the beach. Both sexes are pretty bad but the men are worse. Real slobs. 

I tend to agree.   In the UK at least, the rule of thumb seems to be 'casual = sloppy', with many men turning sloppiness into a studied art-form.   But don't overlook the possibility of observing women (of all ages) shopping in a supermarket dressed in pyjamas/dressing-gown/slippers or (in warmer weather) a bikini or other swimwear and flip-flops.   The male of the species, in tatty shorts or tracksuit bottoms, filthy trainers and a grubby singlet or (yuk!) string vest, is also seen in selected summertime High Streets.    

• Like 2

It is not different state side! When did pajamas become suitable for shopping? Another one I just can not stand is Ugg boots, sure I can give them a pass in cooler weather, but to see them worn in the summer with a cute summer dress, or back to pajamas or sweat pants and Uggs at Walmart again!

Some clothing people wear such crappy clothing in public I would not even wear in the privacy of my own home. People have forgotten that if you dress well you feel better about yourself. I read "Dress for Success" years ago and it stuck with me over the years. Even in the middle of a project at home and I need to run out for more building materials or paint I generally will at lest change into clean jeans and t-shirt and take off the grubby clothing I was wearing.

My wife and I try to dress up a bit when we go out for the evening, it might be just jeans and a nicer shirt, but it still beats the normal jeans, t-shirt and sports shoes crowd. We went out last weekend. We planned to go out to a nicer restaurant and I told my wife she need to wear one of her skimpy party dresses and I was in dress  pants and a fancy shirt. Friends called and asked if we wanted to go out to eat and we told them to come with us, but dress up and they did! Even there we were the best dressed group in the place.

• Like 1

It's an interesting question: When did it become acceptable, indeed almost fashionable, to look like you don't own a mirror? I personally think it started in the 1990s, with the Grunge band movement. During this time, it seems like the object was to look like you were as poor as possible (usually while spending a small fortune on tatty-looking, ill-fitting clothes). At the casual end of the spectrum, I don't think we ever completely climbed out of the abyss.

When I get back to the States, I intend to do a small amount of research on the subject within a tightly focused group. I'll let you know what they said.

• Like 1

That's just it. It isn't a matter of money. Even when didn't have much money at all, my mother would always dress up in her best for travel and would not in a million years ever have gone shopping in pyjamas. I was recently travelling in the company if someone who was really quite rich, a millionaire many times over, and who wore scruffy shorts and flip flops on the plane. (This was in Australia, not England in the winter!)  I took a certain gleeful (and disguised!) pleasure when this slob was denied entry to the business lounge at the airport.

Edited by Shyheels

4 hours ago, Pumped said:

It is not different state side! When did pajamas become suitable for shopping? Another one I just can not stand is Ugg boots, sure I can give them a pass in cooler weather, but to see them worn in the summer with a cute summer dress, or back to pajamas or sweat pants and Uggs at Walmart again!

Some clothing people wear such crappy clothing in public I would not even wear in the privacy of my own home. People have forgotten that if you dress well you feel better about yourself. I read "Dress for Success" years ago and it stuck with me over the years. Even in the middle of a project at home and I need to run out for more building materials or paint I generally will at lest change into clean jeans and t-shirt and take off the grubby clothing I was wearing.

My wife and I try to dress up a bit when we go out for the evening, it might be just jeans and a nicer shirt, but it still beats the normal jeans, t-shirt and sports shoes crowd. We went out last weekend. We planned to go out to a nicer restaurant and I told my wife she need to wear one of her skimpy party dresses and I was in dress  pants and a fancy shirt. Friends called and asked if we wanted to go out to eat and we told them to come with us, but dress up and they did! Even there we were the best dressed group in the place.

As it should be. Truly believe your correct maybe conservative or do you draw the line somewhere? For me i may dress in a more feminine style but would that be acceptable to many agreeing with your sensibilities?  To be clear i'm not sloppy wearing my clothes in fact i prefer to dress up casually but never sneakers or bulky boots even when in climatic environment.  

I agree with your conclusions hate seeing females in gym, yoga attire walking the streets as if they were at the gym, sweating then go shopping. More times then not they wear the workout leggings as black pants with three inch chunky booties with a slim fitting leather jacket.  Yes, showing off sexy slim legs and booty but still looks to me not fashionable as some black lux denim designer jeggings.

• 1 month later...

I found that men into fashion (and especially the brand YSL, since Hedi Slimane introduced high heeled boots for men) are wearing heels without the  "hhplace syndrome".

http://yooying.com/tag/Hedislimane

http://yooying.com/john_philippe

"hhplace syndrome" could be defined as "as there is no heeled shoes in my mens store, I buy the ones sold to womens and I have problems doing this".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 6:12 PM, Shyheels said:

Swapping clothes with your partner? Yeah, right. Leaving aside colour and style preferences which are most unlikely to be shared, this silly premise also assumes your partner is exactly the same size as you - same height, waist, chest measurements, sleeve length etc.  I am trying to think of a single couple that I know where that would be the case, and I am struggling to come up with any. Certainly I could never wear my wife's clothes, nor she mine, even if we wanted to swap. Which I can't ever imagine either of us ever wanting to do.

Besides, people can already dress as they please - what is stopping them? - without Ms Westwood's imprimatur and without trying to look as though they came out of a cookie cutter. 

Just caught up to the styling and swapping clothes theme. Here is a link which a Vancouver Photographer has done much work with couples and switching clothing that I found very interesting. Check it out! If anything it is a photographic portrayal of switching versus switching up the Unisex fashions. The concept is great though!

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/10/switcheroo-crossdressing-portraits/

Interesting photographically

He would have had to have chosen his couples carefully. With the best will in the world there is no way I could get into any of my wife's clothes or shoes without ruining them, if I could even get into them at all. 

Still, an interesting sequence of portraits

Height one could get away wth. A couple's overall builds - waist and chest measurements, etc - would have to be similar. Their shoes sizes could not be too far off either.  I take a mens 13 or 14. While my wife could get her feet (both!) into my hiking boots, I could not possibly get mine into her biker boots. 

I can wear some of my wife's clothing, since our sizes are not too much different. Some of her shoes I can wear too and she does wear some of my heels too, which she has done in the past when she wants a special looking shoe for her to wear. She will say to me, what shoes of yours will go with my ensemble, I want to wear. Since I have 3-4 times as many shoes that she has, It's nice to be able to swap clothing and shoes with your spouse. We enjoy it and we even have matching pairs of heels, especially sandals, because we both like to show our colored pedi's, which we match colors some times.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

This article with the SEO friendly ULR "Men in Heels: Harry Styles, Justin Bieber, Kanye West" title has been on the Vogue Landing Page above the fold for 3 consecutive days now:

http://www.vogue.com/article/men-in-heels-harry-styles-justin-bieber-kanye-west

The attached video came from an instagram story that ran Saturday 4.22.  I downloaded it b/c Instagram stories are only live for 24 hours. 

@cristalserranoo.mp4

AmericanVogue Screen Shot.png

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 2

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

5 hours ago, kneehighs said:

This article with the SEO friendly ULR "Men in Heels: Harry Styles, Justin Bieber, Kanye West" title has been on the Vogue Landing Page above the fold for 3 consecutive days now:

http://www.vogue.com/article/men-in-heels-harry-styles-justin-bieber-kanye-west

The attached video came from an instagram story that ran Saturday 4.22.  I downloaded it b/c Instagram stories are only live for 24 hours. 

@cristalserranoo.mp4

AmericanVogue Screen Shot.png

I am glad to see that there is coverage mentioning men in heels that depicts them in a positive light. The only problem is, none of those boots are what I'd call heels. At all. There are plenty of guys who wear logging boots on a construction site that have higher heels than those shown here. What, exactly, is there to say here? If at least one of them had been wearing something closer to 3 inches, I could see it, but I can't even figure out why this is an article. Must have been a slow day.

A very slow day indeed. 

If the notion of a man wearing incrementally higher heels than those found on bog-standard brogues can really be such big news, the societal straight jacket must be on tighter than one imagines. 

Edited by Shyheels