Changes in my feet.

tallguyinheels

Question

So now I estimate I'm spending about 10% of my time in 5 inch heels - some days several hours other days only an hour or so. Never at night, and about 1/3 to half the time I'm in heels I'm walking ot standing. All this said I've begun to notice some changes in my feet. I should first say that I was born with very high arches, strong calves and spent a lot of time in my youth on the beach in the sand. all this has led to a moderate case of hammertoes - not uncomfortable but my tos only lay somewat flat when I put pressure on them. In a relaxed mode they curl upwardfrom the ball with the first knuck forming a 120 degree angle. Now my toes even more curled upward at the ball of the foot - t the point that in typical dress shoes the tops of my toes are drawn up agains the top of the shoe. When I'm in heels the toeslay flatter aand more comfortable - As long as I stretch every day I don't seem to have any tightness in my calves and I notice I also have to spend nore time streatching the quads. My toes are also forming a little closer together at the toe, but there is no serius redness or callouses

27 answers to this question

So now I estimate I'm spending about 10% of my time in 5 inch heels - some days several hours other days only an hour or so. Never at night, and about 1/3 to half the time I'm in heels I'm walking ot standing. All this said I've begun to notice some changes in my feet. I should first say that I was born with very high arches, strong calves and spent a lot of time in my youth on the beach in the sand. all this has led to a moderate case of hammertoes - not uncomfortable but my tos only lay somewat flat when I put pressure on them. In a relaxed mode they curl upwardfrom the ball with the first knuck forming a 120 degree angle. Now my toes even more curled upward at the ball of the foot - t the point that in typical dress shoes the tops of my toes are drawn up agains the top of the shoe. When I'm in heels the toeslay flatter aand more comfortable - As long as I stretch every day I don't seem to have any tightness in my calves and I notice I also have to spend nore time streatching the quads. My toes are also forming a little closer together at the toe, but there is no serius redness or callouses

Something I am aware of wearing heels:

Symptoms of a Morton's Neuroma

If you have a Morton''s neuroma, you will probably have one or more of these symptoms where the nerve damage in occurring:

• Tingling, burning, or numbness

• Pain

• A feeling that something is inside the ball of the foot, or that there's a rise in the shoe or a sock is bunched up.

What Causes a Neuroma?

Anything that causes compression or irritation of the nerve can lead to the development of a neuroma. One of the most common offenders is wearing shoes that have a tapered toe box, or high-heeled shoes that cause the toes to be forced into the toe box.

People with certain foot deformities—bunions, hammertoes, flatfeet, or more flexible feet—are at higher risk for developing a neuroma. Other potential causes are activities that involve repetitive irritation to the ball of the foot, such as running or racquet sports. An injury or other type of trauma to the area may also lead to a neuroma.

The higher the heels and the pointier (??) the toes I have to be careful of how long I wear the shoes or boots.

I have been wearing nothing but 3.5 to4 inch heels for the past week and find that I am unconfortable walking flat footed. I am trying to become permanently heeled and hope that I suceed. I will be posting my progress and keep informed readers informed.

77r90dL lf

I have been wearing nothing but 3.5 to4 inch heels for the past week and find that I am unconfortable walking flat footed. I am trying to become permanently heeled and hope that I suceed. I will be posting my progress and keep informed readers informed.

My experience has been that 3.5" to 4" is a pretty good height for heels, even after "middle age" when stuff just doesn't work as well as it once did. Personally, I think that "permanently heeled" is mostly a state of mind that can be acheived far more readily than most people allow.

However, it might be desireable to give the feet some rest in order avoid hammertoes, bunnions, etc. :smile: After all, heeled or not, you only have one pair of feet to take you through life. So IMO it pays to take care of them.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

just be clear... my hammer toes are a very PRE heeled condition. and according to my podiatrist - a mostly genetic condition because of my inherited high arches. A great byproduct of these high arches is the ability to easily walk in high heels. I think if I keep my heel wearing to existing levels I se no untoward effects - we'll keep you posted.

After all, heeled or not, you only have one pair of feet to take you through life. So IMO it pays to take care of them.

Just like the rest of our bodies. Not much use to us when we retire if our bodies are well done by then.

I haven't been wearing heels much for the past six months. I'm having quite a bit of pain in my left ankle, so have seen an osteopath and a podiatrist. I've now got a pair of expensive insoles which have given me quite a bit of relief. This week I've worn heels for the first time for ages, today the osteo asked me "have you been wearing different shoes?" no I lied! "Been walking down hill a lot" he continued - "not especially" I replied. Ok - this guy knows his stuff. I'm falling apart, I think it's time for me to retire from heels.

I haven't been wearing heels much for the past six months. I'm having quite a bit of pain in my left ankle, so have seen an osteopath and a podiatrist. I've now got a pair of expensive insoles which have given me quite a bit of relief. This week I've worn heels for the first time for ages, today the osteo asked me "have you been wearing different shoes?" no I lied! "Been walking down hill a lot" he continued - "not especially" I replied.

Ok - this guy knows his stuff. I'm falling apart, I think it's time for me to retire from heels.

I think you have been rumbled fog. these folk know what goes on you know.

might be worth laying off the heels until you get better.

The angels have the phonebox.

I've been wearing high heels (4-6 inches) for about a year now and have developed a training program that I highly recommend to anyone (male or female) who plans on wearing heels regularly. I spend about 45 minutes a day on a treadmill walking and running in various heel heights. I first run for a mile in 4 inch heels at about 8 miles per hour. Then I slow down to a brisk walk at 3 miles per hour for a half mile in 5 inch heels. Finally, I finish off at a slow walk (about 1 mile per hour) for 1/4 mile in 6 inch heels. This exercise, which I do first thing in the morning, gets all my leg muscles loosened up, strengthened and stretched, which helps me to avoid any leg cramps of muscle aches the rest of the day. It also helps me to avoid turning ankles when in 6 inch heels and makes walking in high heels the rest of the day seem like a dream.

I had a very short walk out in my 5" thigh boots in Bromley on Tuesday lunch time. It was pouring with rain, and I'd brought with me a black shiny woman's coat for the purpose. The outfit looked good, but I really couldn't go far. My right leg was fine, but I was having problems with the left. There was nothing for it but to go back to the car and get a pair of flattish knee boots. Didn't look half as good as you could see my trousers between the top of the boots and the bottom of the coat. Didn't protect me from the rain as much either. I've been having problems walking since then. I fear another trip to the osteo is due. There's no need to tell me 5" is a bit high for occasional wear. I'm looking for a nice pair of flat thighboots.

I've been wearing a super comfortable pair of suade leather boots with 4 inch heels out a lot lately - every chance I get. I'm at the point where I dont't even think about what people who see me might be thinking. The boots are super comfortable, look great, my wife loves them, and I think that this is probably the lowest heel I'll feel comfortable walking in from this point forward. I just love the feeling I get from walking about in high heels. I can't imagine what women must be thinking who walk around in heelless shoes. What an opportunity lost.

I haven't been wearing heels much for the past six months. I'm having quite a bit of pain in my left ankle, so have seen an osteopath and a podiatrist. I've now got a pair of expensive insoles which have given me quite a bit of relief. This week I've worn heels for the first time for ages, today the osteo asked me "have you been wearing different shoes?" no I lied! "Been walking down hill a lot" he continued - "not especially" I replied.

Ok - this guy knows his stuff. I'm falling apart, I think it's time for me to retire from heels.

I'm not giving up for a long time yet. I got no probs @73 Who'se a lucky guy then!

Muddypaws.:smile:

I'm not giving up for a long time yet. I got no probs @73 Who'se a lucky guy then!

Muddypaws.:smile:

You are a lucky guy! Since this post I had one trip out in heels and suffered for about a fortnight after it. Actually I managed about fifty yards before I had to return to the car and put some flats on.

I've since bought myself a nice pair of flat knee boots to cheer myself up.

I haven't been here much since the last post - just popped in to have a look and the occasional game of tetris. I haven't worn heels since. I can't do it any more, which is a shame, but since I stoped wearing heels, I got to the stage where I didn't have pain when walking, which is obviously a bonus! Since then Mrs F and I cycled to our house in South West France, 923 kilometers in total, so there's life in the old legs yet.

I had a very short walk out in my 5" thigh boots in Bromley on Tuesday lunch time. It was pouring with rain, and I'd brought with me a black shiny woman's coat for the purpose. The outfit looked good, but I really couldn't go far. My right leg was fine, but I was having problems with the left. There was nothing for it but to go back to the car and get a pair of flattish knee boots. Didn't look half as good as you could see my trousers between the top of the boots and the bottom of the coat. Didn't protect me from the rain as much either. I've been having problems walking since then. I fear another trip to the osteo is due.

There's no need to tell me 5" is a bit high for occasional wear. I'm looking for a nice pair of flat thighboots.

Well if yer going back to see the doc, then at least get honest with him/her. After all, it's hard to expect much benefit from him if yer not going to level with him. If you don't want to "spill the beans" about wearing high heels then you could say that you thought about wearing some shoes with somewhat more heel than usual.

But from what you describe, it sounds like you need to leave the heels in the closet for a while. Remember, you only have one pair of feet to carry you through life.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

It's been about a year since I've had a pair of heels on my feet. I've had virtually no pain in my ankles since about January. I've given up not only heels, but the mules I was wearing around the house in France, as the action of gripping them on with my toes caused tension. I've managed without my heels, and at least my ankles and legs are good enough to take me cycling reasonable distances with a camping load on. So it's not been a purge out of guilt but a conscious decision.

Fog, sad about the heels but good news about your ankles and feet. I guess, when faced with reality, it's best to take a decision for reason which is best for your health. Hope you can return to wearing heels occasionally. But, not wearing heels isn't reason enough to become a stranger to this place.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Fog, sad about the heels but good news about your ankles and feet. I guess, when faced with reality, it's best to take a decision for reason which is best for your health.

Hope you can return to wearing heels occasionally.

But, not wearing heels isn't reason enough to become a stranger to this place.

RIGHT ON! :thumbsup: Because of my health issues I can only wear heels maybe once every 2 or 3 months. I did actually did put on my kneehigh black boots when we went out to eat the other night, but that was only the second or third time this year I've managed heels. But heels or no, yer still welcome around here. I really enjoy this forum and hearing what others have to say. :smile:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I haven't been here much since the last post - just popped in to have a look and the occasional game of tetris. I haven't worn heels since. I can't do it any more, which is a shame, but since I stoped wearing heels, I got to the stage where I didn't have pain when walking, which is obviously a bonus! Since then Mrs F and I cycled to our house in South West France, 923 kilometers in total, so there's life in the old legs yet.

I am truly impressed, biking 923 km. (I don't think the US guys realizes that it is almost 560 miles!)

Anyway, missed you at last meeting in London. You could have come also without heels. Looking forward to see you again sometime as I enjoyed both your, and mrs F, company last year. Give my regards to her, ok?

I am truly impressed, biking 923 km. (I don't think the US guys realizes that it is almost 560 miles!) QUOTE]

Thanks - we like to think in kilometers - makes it seem faster!

We did it in easy stages, around 80k (50 miles) a day - with a couple of rest days in between and stayed in hotels all the way. Mrs F didn't want to cycle all day without a pool at the end of it. Sensible woman.

A shame about the heels fog, perhaps you can eventually return to some more moderate heels on occasion, but your health is of course most important. I hope I dont ever have to give up heels. I am sure I'll have to eventually, but will enjoy the heck out of them while I can. I have bunions which seem to run in my family. Although I know my condition preceded my heel wearing (noticed having them since before the age of 10), I realize that my heel wearing is not helping this at all. I do my best to avoid very narrow or overly pointy heels, so perhaps the damage I am causing is slower, but it is still there.

Fog -

I had a similar problem a few years earlier. Back in October 2004 I decided to refrain from wearing my black thigh high boots, 4” heel, in order to give my feet a rest since my wife and I were going to Disney World in December, and there would be plenty of walking. But as I stopped wearing heels I started to feel pain in the balls of my feet and a burning sensation on the soles of my feet. After researching this online, I had all the symptoms of plantar fasciitis or heel spurs. Needless to say I was very afraid that my heel wearing days were over and that I would need foot surgery. I was starting to get very depressed.

Being a martial artist I consulted with one of my master instructors, she recommended that I massage the pressure points where I feel pain. Here is a link to shiatsu, Japanese art of massage: http://www.ehow.com/video_8591_apply-pressure-points.html. Basically there are pressure points all throughout the body. If you take your thumb or index finger and place light pressure on a point on your body and feel some pain, most likely you are touching a pressure point. When you feel pain in a pressure point it should be massaged out.

I started to use my thumbs to massage the pain in my feet, knees and the tendons near my ankles, then eased up and let my feet relax. As I rested I started to feel a tingling sensation in my feet, as if the circulation in my feet was coming back. I also noticed my muscles in my feet twitching involuntarily but it felt good since I felt circulation coming back. The burning sensation also disappeared. I felt good again and was able to enjoy my trip.

Currently I use a vibrating massager with a ball tip and use this on my pressure points in a short circular motion. My master instructor agreed that this would work well on my feet. I also use a Chinese rolling massager with rubber bumps on the end of the rollers. Rolling the soles of my feet against the rollers also helps restore the energy flow.

Though I am no podiatrist or expert in massage, doing these simple techniques have done wonders for my feet. I was able to keep my boots and massage almost daily. There are links to massage and you can also search for massage devices online. I hope you kept your high heel boots. I hope this helps.

Thanks for that. Interesting video, however, I was reflecting that I've been pain free in my ankles and feet for about six months, and that's worth having. I'm certainly going to keep a lot of my heels, and I occasionally wear them for very short spells, but I don't think extended wearing and especially out of the house is an option for me any more. Mobility is the key to keeping fit and healthy. I intend to do the bike trip to the south of France every year from now on. This summer we're pulling a trailer and camping - should be fun.

post-1414-133522879807_thumb.jpg

Kitty, Thinking of your advice, a lot of what the osteopath did to me was much as you describe - putting pressure on various points in my feet and calves to get the blood flowing. I'm also wearing orthotics which really help as well.