Should the U.S. invade Iraq?

Stu

This is somewhat untrue. To this very day the Arab League has been totally neutral during this crisis. It has been only recently that when pressured by the French and Germans that a few of the members spoke out against the invasion. My point being that just because a few members speak out against the invasion that does not at all imply that the entire Arab League is in total opposition.

Take a look at:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=JDFGLC21NAXX2CRBAEZSFEY?type=worldNews&storyID=2236897

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, of course! If my memory serves my correctly Egypt and Bahrain are the only countries (out of all of the Arab League countries) who have made an "official" statement condemning any attack against Iraq. The other Arab League states have done nothing over the past few months but sit around and debate as to what should be done. As defined in one of the articles in the pact of Arab League states (don't quote me on this, but...): If one of the states is under the treat of being attaked it can call the other members together and then they sit around and debate how to repel such an attack - or something along these lines - I am not sure how it goes exactly. This is why the other states have done nothing but sit around and debate what to do. Iraq is a member of the Arab League. What about the other members Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait - places where U.S. forces are massing. It was only until recenty (in the past week or so - I guess) that the Arab League countries, when pressured by the French and German oil companies (I would say the French and German governments but the oil companies in Fance and Germany are really the ones who are doing the talking), started to come out and speak out against any attack in Iraq. The article talks about the "ministers" but which ones? From which countries? And how many were there? Was it all of them or just a handful? Qatar is an Arab League state and we are currenty massing a large number of troops and military supplies there. According to reports Qatar has been very cooperative with the U.S. so far but we have never heard anything "official". I have engineering colleagues who live there and they support U.S. led action. What about Saudi Arabia? Have we heard an "official" statement from them? I really don't understand that government - first they were against the idea of an Iraq attack and then they were for it, etc. What gives? My Saudi engineering school colleagues (of whom I still keep in touch with from time to time) make more sense than that "shit-ass" monarchy that currently governs that country. From what I understand even the Saudis have been cooperating fully with the U.S.. What about Kuwait? We have never heard an "official" statement from them but we have troops training night and day on the Kuwaiti soil. I wonder who (which countries) was at this conference. Is the Arab League in total opposition? Are the following members of the Arab League in total opposition (remember what I said about Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait)?

Arab League Members:

Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen

OK, you can call me thick if you like but I read and reread the article five times and I couldn't for the life of me find any reference to which foriegn ministers attended but the general tone of it suggested that representatives from ALL Arab countries were present.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 1 month later...

OK, you can call me thick if you like but I read and reread the article five times and I couldn't for the life of me find any reference to which foriegn ministers attended but the general tone of it suggested that representatives from ALL Arab countries were present.

Sorry for the long wait for my reply. I have been out working! :wink:

I hate to say this but maybe you are right! Perhaps all of the Arab countries were indeed there! If so, I would not worry about it because it is meaningless. I have been following the Arab League since the successful Operation Iraqi Freedom campaign began and to be very honest with you (after seeing how they have behaved during this ordeal) I strongly believe that the Arab League is worthless - just like the United Nations.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I agree. If the UN were worth anything at all, they would have been able to prevent the attrocities we have seen and continue to see on an almost daily basis. As I predicted, the Iraqi people really don't appreciate foreign interference into their government. It seems that the vast majority want an Islamic Fundamentalist government which of course is the last thing the US and UK governments want. I am not even going to go into the absence of WMDs :-).

Oh I agree. If the UN were worth anything at all, they would have been able to prevent the attrocities we have seen and continue to see on an almost daily basis.

First of all you misspelled the word atrocities. The UN couldn’t stop the US and coalition forces even if they tried. Why? They are nothing but a bunch of do nothing Euros who like to draw up a resolution mandate and then not abide by it by any means. They have demonstrated over and over again that they are nothing but a bunch of cowards and they should have their Asses kicked right out of the US for being the pathetic scum that they are. If you want to see an atrocity you should look at how the UN handled the situation in the former Yugoslavia after the war was over. You just watch. I bet you anything that in 5 years or so the people of Iraq will be much better off than the people in the former Yugoslavia. Why? Because this is a US led operation and thankfully not a UN led operation.

Here is what I don’t understand about people who think like you do. Why is setting people free from a hostile dictator who flipped the world the middle finger at least a dozen times, not to mention, slaughtering hundreds and thousands of his own people seen as an atrocity? Are you against freedom? It sure sounds like it. Yes, I don’t know if you realize this but in real life the war that you see is not like the pretty and happy ones that you see in the movies – it is totally different. Many prices must be paid for freedom, America understands this very well.

As I predicted, the Iraqi people really don't appreciate foreign interference into their government.

You never predicted this! At least I don’t ever remember you doing so and I have a pretty good memory! This is hilarious! Yes, the Iraqi people really don't appreciate foreign interference into their government. According to the vast majority of US media outlets (especially the New York Times and The Wall Street Journal) the percentile of Iraqis who oppose interference into their government is less than 5%. BIG DEAL! WHO CARES? What about the larger majority of Iraqis who do want the US involved? Did you ever think about them or are you just going to focus on the less impertant negative issues to glamorize?

It seems that the vast majority want an Islamic Fundamentalist government which of course is the last thing the US and UK governments want.

This so called, “vast majority who want an Islamic Fundamentalist government” all fall in that less than 2% range. Mark my words – this will not happen and I wouldn’t even worry about it.

I am not even going to go into the absence of WMDs :-).

WMDs? Saddam and his moronic followers are gone and that is all that matters. I’m sure that as time goes on we may or may not discover some. This is only the tip of the iceberg and there is a long path to walk down. The US is just on the verge of looking over all of the documents and talking to all of the scientists in order to get information. We already know for sure that France and Germany were supporting him while he was starving, beating, and murdering his own people. Its no wonder both France and Germany opposed the war.

Oh wait! I get it now! You were thinking that as soon as the US and coalition forces entered Iraq they were just automatically going to find the WMDs overnight – right? They would walk into Iraq and the WMDs woud be there, right in front of them waiting to be found. Sure – whatever. I see…….. :wink:

First of all you misspelled the word Asses with a capital or was this intentional to honnor the ones you worship?

The results of brainwashing by the "free US" media are amazing.

They are nothing but a bunch of do nothing Euros who like to draw up a resolution mandate and then not abide by it by any means

As far as I know, Euros is a word describing a currency, please specify what you understand by it.

Dr Shoe, I'll take you in a coalition, you sound well educated, unbiassed and are open for reasoning and accepting independant valid points.

No further comments from my part, a liberal free European person with a vision.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

First of all you misspelled the word Asses with a capital or was this intentional to honnor the ones you worship?

First of all, the word asses is indeed spelled correctly but there is a CAPITALIZATION error that was done intentionally. It sounds to me like someone needs to go and pull out his English grammar book. When I use the word asses I am talking about all of the pathetic scum that currently reside in the UN Security Council today. These are people like the BELGIANS, the FRENCH, GERMANS, etc – all of the trash in the world.

The results of brainwashing by the "free US" media are amazing.

No, not really! Ever since this war began I have paid close attention to the European media. Oh the horrors! I used to wonder why uneducated people like you and Dr. Shoe believed the things that they do. I used to wonder why both of your minds were filled with nothing but muck and trash about this whole Iraq issue. But then I started paying close attention printed and said in the European media and now I totally understand where the muck and trash in both of your brains comes from.

As far as I know, Euros is a word describing a currency, please specify what you understand by it.

The word Euros is short for the word Europeans (Belgians, French, Germans, etc.). Today one US dollar is about 0.889 euros (currency). The Euro is dropping in value against the US dollar.

Dr Shoe, I'll take you in a coalition, you sound well educated, unbiassed and are open for reasoning and accepting independant valid points.

Oh! Give me a break! I guess that you were crying when you wrote this? So you think that Dr. Shoe is well educated and unbiased (and by the way you misspelled unbiased!)? Right – whatever! I am open for reasoning and accepting independent (you also misspelled independent) valid points. The main problem here is that to this very day I haven’t read any reasoning and valid viewpoints from you at all and I am still waiting.

No further comments from my part, a liberal free European person with a vision.

Here we go again! What vision are you talking about? As usual, you come into this topic, post some really lousy viewpoints that make no sense to anyone, and then you run out of here like a chicken. I do not understand why you do this. Please explain. Remember – I like you and I don’t hate you.

Pathetic scums and trash of the world never have to explain anything. Over and OUT.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Pathetic scums and trash of the world never have to explain anything.

Over and OUT.

Oh Highluc, for God's sake man! When are you going to grow up and grow some testicles (please pardon my French)? Come on now! Stop being a little sissy. I really do want to read some valid viewpoints from you.

WMDs? Saddam and his moronic followers are gone and that is all that matters. I’m sure that as time goes on we may or may not discover some. This is only the tip of the iceberg and there is a long path to walk down. The US is just on the verge of looking over all of the documents and talking to all of the scientists in order to get information. We already know for sure that France and Germany were supporting him while he was starving, beating, and murdering his own people. Its no wonder both France and Germany opposed the war.

Oh, and I'm sure the US hands are really clean when it comes to supporting Saddam Hussien.

Remember, if it weren't for the French, you would live in a Brittish colony.

Oh, and I'm sure the US hands are really clean when it comes to supporting Saddam Hussien.

Well, what can I say, it just goes to show that you can never trust a Muslim. Saddam was living proof of this. You really have to keep an eye on these people or they will backstab you at least a dozen times. We thought that we were doing the right thing during the whole Iran conflict but, unfortunately, the US decided to play with fire (Saddam) and it got burned.

Remember, if it weren't for the French, you would live in a Brittish colony.

You know, this is a true statement but, unfortunately, this has absolutely nothing to do with the war in Iraq. Nothing what so ever! Can someone tell me how this relates to the situation in Iraq? You will not be able to it. I am also tired of hearing crap like this form “educated intellectual wannabe” garbage. They are always trying to tie true historical facts into today’s world and they usually fail miserably because the facts that they try to tie in are usually irrelevant. I am not sure why they do this but maybe it is because they can’t think of anything else to say. I don’t know if you have noticed but France is not the great power that it once was. Ever since the fall of the Soviet Union that country has slowly deteriorated. I have been there many times ever since the fall of the Soviet Union and every time that I go back the situation just seems like it keeps getting worse. Every time I go I see a country that has all the potential of being a great superpower again but unfortunately the French human spirit is gone. If you talk to the average French person today you usually hear a lot of sarcastic negative gloom-and-doom kind of talk. Sometimes after talking to them you are led to believe that the world is coming to an end tomorrow. I call this country crap because that is what it has let itself become over the years. I have never seen a more negative total disregard for the human spirit and the human potential than in France. This same situation can also be applied to Belgium and Germany.

You know, this is a true statement but, unfortunately, this has absolutely nothing to do with the war in Iraq. Nothing what so ever! Can someone tell me how this relates to the situation in Iraq?

Yes. Americans are thrashing France because they are against the war, waving arguments like "Remember who saved your asses during World War 2! We expect some grattitude!"

You will not be able to it. I am also tired of hearing crap like this form “educated intellectual wannabe” garbage. They are always trying to tie true historical facts into today’s world and they usually fail miserably because the facts that they try to tie in are usually irrelevant. I am not sure why they do this but maybe it is because they can’t think of anything else to say. I don’t know if you have noticed but France is not the great power that it once was. Ever since the fall of the Soviet Union that country has slowly deteriorated. I have been there many times ever since the fall of the Soviet Union and every time that I go back the situation just seems like it keeps getting worse. Every time I go I see a country that has all the potential of being a great superpower again but unfortunately the French human spirit is gone. If you talk to the average French person today you usually hear a lot of sarcastic negative gloom-and-doom kind of talk. Sometimes after talking to them you are led to believe that the world is coming to an end tomorrow.

It might just, thanx to George W Bush.

Yes. Americans are thrashing France because they are against the war, waving arguments like "Remember who saved your asses during World War 2! We expect some grattitude!"

This is a true statement but again, it has nothing to do with the situation in Iraq.

It might just, thanx to George W Bush.

Now after reading some of you earlier posts this has to be the most lame-brained, stupidest, and illogical statements that you have made so far. My God man, I can’t believe that you actually had the balls to write something as retarded as this statement. So let me get this right – Bush is to blame for everyone’s problem – sure, right.

Hey, how about everyone stepping back and taking a deep breath. All of this is just crazy. Discussion of this subject has become based on emotions rather than established facts and "un-alter" history. The different schools of thought regarding “Iraqi Freedom,” as presented here, will never be breached by trying to convince one another who’s viewpoint is right. The “unaltered truth” is in the eye of the beholder (reader – TV viewer) and only time will tell which “truth” is really true. All I know is that, despite what the British and European television news has chosen to report, there is a “whole bunch” of Iraqis that are thankful that Saddam Hussein’s regime is gone and they no longer have to fear physical reprisal for voicing their disagreement. The Swedes will never give up their soul consuming hatred for Americans and things American. And the Belgians, regardless how much they whine and pontificate, will continue to occupy their totally irrelevant and unimportant place in Europe and the world -- forever remaining completely incognizant and impotent. As for the French, well – they are French. What more has to be said? Nothing we say or do here will change these facts. However, after all is said, I, for one, am praying that the Muslim fundamentalists that are deeply embedded in the UK and throughout Europe don't decide to commence harmful activities vise-a-vise 911. No society deserves to experience catastrophes of that magnitude.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hey, how about everyone stepping back and taking a deep breath. All of this is just crazy.

I am not sure how you see this whole thing but I am having a pretty good time right now. I really haven't taken a breath since I first started posting in this topic. I assumed that this was clear by now.

Discussion of this subject has become based on emotions rather than established facts and "un-alter" history. The different schools of thought regarding “Iraqi Freedom,” as presented here, will never be breached by trying to convince one another who’s viewpoint is right.

When have I, when did I ever base anything on emotions? Highluc - Yes! Trolldeg - Yes! Dr. Shoe - Yes! But me??? What?

The “unaltered truth” is in the eye of the beholder (reader – TV viewer) and only time will tell which “truth” is really true. All I know is that, despite what the British and European television news has chosen to report, there is a “whole bunch” of Iraqis that are thankful that Saddam Hussein’s regime is gone and they no longer have to fear physical reprisal for voicing their disagreement.

Very true. I totally agree whith you here.

The Swedes will never give up their soul consuming hatred for Americans and things American. And the Belgians, regardless how much they whine and pontificate, will continue to occupy their totally irrelevant and unimportant place in Europe and the world -- forever remaining completely incognizant and impotent. As for the French, well – they are French. What more has to be said? Nothing we say or do here will change these facts.

Amen brother! I totally agree with you on this point also!

However, after all is said, I, for one, am praying that the Muslim fundamentalists that are deeply embedded in the UK and throughout Europe don't decide to commence harmful activities vise-a-vise 911. No society deserves to experience catastrophes of that magnitude.

Let's hope not! I however think that these people are totally finished and they will not be harming any other innocent people for a very long time.

I wasn't talking about you j-turbo2002. If I was, I'd have advised you to save your breath. I really was referring to the fact that nothing you can say would ever alter the views of the others commenting here. Which is fine by me. Even though I view them as being "misguided" and wrong.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

That's quite a statement after writing this:

americans were nothing more than spoilt, self centered, ignorant hillbillies.

Everyone here is pointing the finger at the American people. We as Americans have the right to vote for the president, but after that what he does is not neccessarily the "voice of the people". I was torn about invading Iraq. The people are being oppressed over there. Just look at what Saddam did to his people after the first Gulf War. The US encouraged them to rise up against Saddam. After we left he gassed them, killing innocent women and children. The Ba'ath party is made up of people that were willing to kill innocent people. Just look at the Feddien Saddam (I am not sure if I spelled it right). They threatened the lives of the families of Iraqi soldiers that did not want to fight. This regime needed to be brought to an end for the crimes that they commited against the Iraqi peoples. In regards to the killing of innocent people in the bombing, Saddam had his military in the schools, hospital and mosques. If this did not show that the government of Iraq did not care about their people, then I do not know what will. In Iraq there are supposed to be jails that are underground. Families have told the US that they have family members in these jails. We have not yet found the jails. There are supposed to be tunnels all over the country that we have not yet found. We have found thousands of chemical suits, but we have not found the weapons that these go with. The US would not us chemical weapons where this would harm innocent people. So the chemical suits were not for protection from our weaponry. It can only show that they knew that there were chemical weapons that could be used. The only other thing that I see is that there are people over in Iraq that are willing to give their lives to free the people of Iraq from the oppression that they are under. These soldiers see what is going on in the states with the demonstrations, and it lowers their morale. These people are not there for the oil. They are there were it is their job. They are soldiers, willing to die for this country. If we do not support them, then who will? It is the least that we can do. In regards to the people in Europe, if it was not for the United States giving them aid after WWII, where would they be now. We gave them a lot of money, and then forgave the debt. If it was not for the US they may be in the same situation as Iraq. All I want to say is that if you do not support the war in iraq, at least support the soldiers that are over their. They are willing to give their lives for this country, and it is the least that we can do to support them. That is my opinion I welcome yours. :wink:

If you want to talk about the hillbillies, then you are going to be talking to most of the soldiers over there. They are the people that are in the military because where they are offered schooling, and the GI bill so that they will be able to better their situation. They are the NCO's, the "grunts" that are on the front lines taking fire from people who do not follow the Geneva convention, disguising themselves as non combatants waving white flags, even though they agreed to it a year after if was ratified. (If I am not mistaken it was in 1956 that Iraq signed) It is those "ignorant hillbillies" that are putting thier life at risk and serving this country wether it be here at home, in Iraq or other parts of the world. They are the people that live paycheck to paycheck. So let's just give them a break.

I'm not talking about the soldiers, I'm talking about the ones they take orders from, the leaders of "the land of the free".

Have you seen the news lately. They found a trailer, the kind that moves around so it is not easily found, in Northern Iraq that appears to be a chemical weapons manufacturing plant. So it looks like the ignorant hillbillies were right about there being weapons of mass destruction in Iraq - items that Saddam Hussein said that he destroyed.

All I have to say is..... If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....It must be a duck.

Have you seen the news lately. They found a trailer, the kind that moves around so it is not easily found, in Northern Iraq that appears to be a chemical weapons manufacturing plant. So it looks like the ignorant hillbillies were right about there being weapons of mass destruction in Iraq - items that Saddam Hussein said that he destroyed.

All I have to say is..... If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....It must be a duck.

so? this does not justify them having their way with the world...

These weapons were used against the people of Iraq and could be used against any counrty. There is no doubt in my mind that Saddam Hussien would not refrain from selling those chemical weapons to terrorists so that they could be used anywhere....even in your counrty trolldeg