Fixing an ankle strap, any advice?

Before I wiggle on down to a shoe repair, I thought I would ask for some tips. I have an older pair of shoes, and they have straps that go across the vamp and one buckles at the ankle, while the other is attached by elastic. The buckle strap on the right shoe is damaged, and the buckle does not hold as tight. As a result, the shoe can slip off of my foot. Is there any easy way to reinforce this strap, particularly around the holes, so that I can tighten the strap and not worry about it breaking? I like these shoes, but I do not wear them much for fear of injury. The shoes might be suede or imitation suede, I am not sure. Laurie

Try black duct tape or "gaffer" tape as we call it in the UK. It usually comes in silver and has that reinforced mesh weave in it. I don't think black would look too bad for a quick fix. One or two layers can be fixed on the back of the strap and wrapped slightly round the front at the top and bottom. If you want a better solution, then a thin strip of black leather of suitable thickness can be sewed behind the strap. Holes can be made in it with an awl to match those in the existing strap. This is a time consuming job to do nicely. _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-24 05:36 ]</font>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...