Newbie - Loves Victorian era footwear

Hello all,

I have been browsing this forum for a few weeks and finally decided to join. I am 16 years old and have only recently acknowledged my love for high heels, particularly period Victorian/Edwardian footwear, both ladie's and men's.

I have s-l-o-w-l-y begun to work my way up in heel height, beginning with an eBay pair of comfortable original 1960s Beatle-type boots with 1 3/4" Cuban heels. I wear these to school often and have only gotten compliments on them (technically, they are against the dress code -no boots allowed- but no one has stopped me yet, and I've worn them often since I bought them in August 2006).

Of ladie's Victorian/Edwardian shoes and boots, my favourite heel by far is the beautiful Louis XVI heel:

Posted Image

Typically, these heels ranged from 2" to 3", but I have seen some slightly higher permutations. They were designed to show curves no matter what angle they were looked at from; they were introduced in the 1860s and were popular from the 1880s into the 1920s

The other favourite is familiar to everybody. A typical block or 'cube' heel of 1900:

Posted Image

These heels usually ranged from 3/4" to about 3" in height.

I love the style of lace-up boots, as they are what the majority of women might have had 100 years ago. However, lacing them takes forever and a day...an original pair of calf-highs can take about 20 minutes! Speed hooks were around but mostly for men's boots; some women's cycling boots had them.

Posted Image

I also love button boots. They were preferred for showing off shapely ankles, but lacked the adjustability of lace-ups. Nevertheless, they were popular until the mid 1910s.

Posted Image

As a note, button boots typically had cube heels more often than Louis heels. Also, these pictures do not show how small women's feet were back then - the typical surviving pair of boots/shoes from 1900 is a size 6 AAA - about 2 1/2" to 3" wide at the ball of the shoe. Ankles were often as diminuitive; sometimes the ankle of a boot might measure just 9" around.

Sorry for the history lesson, but this is what I enjoy, and I hope to be accepted for it. All of you sound like very nice people and I look forward to making some new friends.

Thanks,

EdwardianEra

I am impressed by your historical interest and knowledge. Most people here don't care that much about the history of heels I think, me included, but it is nevertheless very interesting to read about it. Don't worry about being accepted, this is a cool bunch of people and you will hopefully have a great time here.

• Like 1

Well, these shoes and boots are beautiful! I like the heel shape, they don't make'em like they used to... Although I'm not really interested in history itself, I like these shoes and want to see some more. Do you actually own vintage shoes?

• Like 1

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

Some very interesting historical photographs there. Also of interest around the turn of the century were quite high fetish type heels. Not the stilettos of the 1950s but blockier wooden 4-5 inch heels. These I think were a reaction to the long years of prim Victorianism and also the coming of the new century.

Accepted? How about welcoming you with open arms! That was a fascinating first post. I felt like I was walking through a museum wearing a portable headset. You've taken a very wholesome, constructive, and educational angle on our interest which is great. Hope to see you around more here.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Hi again, Thanks admirer. At school, I'm the different teen who actually cares about history and knowing a lot about times past. I have a lot of "Did you know that..." moments. I agree, Elegant, that footwear is, for the most part, not made the same anymore. I was happy last year to find a pair of men's ankle boots that could pass for Edwardian-style reduced to $20, but now the soles are coming unsewn and one eyelet is being pulled way out of place. Nothing lasts anymore. I have one pair of ca. 1900 brown calf-high boots that I bought off eBay on a whim. Display only, strictly speaking, as they are a size 6 1/2 Narrow. I usually wear a men's 10 D, with no idea of what my women's size would be. Firefox, I've never seen photos of such heels. The closest I have seen in books was a turn of the century pair of oxfords with a 7 or 8 inch modified Louis heel that was used for training ballerinas. If you come across any photos, I'd be very interested in seeing them. Your comment is much appreciated, kneehighs! Whenever I join a group, the first post is always the most nerve-wracking. I want to introduce myself without the standard "Hi I'm ____" ; I want to go deeper. In an ironic way, mother works at a Famous Footwear. She does NOT know about my love for high heels (she may suspect it, but has not asked me). So I hate going into her store and seeing the huge and interesting women's selection and the smaller men's section full of boring sneakers, work boots, and rubber soled dress shoes that all look the same. I'll definitely be around here for a long time. I always suppressed my urge to wear heels because I thought I was alone in my thoughts. That changed when I found High Heel Place.

Firefox, I've never seen photos of such heels. The closest I have seen in books was a turn of the century pair of oxfords with a 7 or 8 inch modified Louis heel that was used for training ballerinas. If you come across any photos, I'd be very interested in seeing them.

So will I. I'm a big fan of oxfords, as most of you probably know ;).

Your comment is much appreciated, kneehighs! Whenever I join a group, the first post is always the most nerve-wracking. I want to introduce myself without the standard "Hi I'm ____" ; I want to go deeper.

When I join any forums, I don't have "awkward moments" (unless the board rules seem too strict), and I write quite a few words about myself, interests, fetishes and so on in the introduction post.

In an ironic way, mother works at a Famous Footwear. She does NOT know about my love for high heels (she may suspect it, but has not asked me). So I hate going into her store and seeing the huge and interesting women's selection and the smaller men's section full of boring sneakers, work boots, and rubber soled dress shoes that all look the same.

Why not suggest her to introduce some heels for men? :o Of course stillettos may be too progressive, but 2- 3" block heels, or cowboy boots, may do the thing. Does the store cater for more stylish and sophisticated kinds of people?

I must echo and re-echo what Kneehighs has so eloquently said. For a 16 year old to be interested in vintage footwear and it's history is quite different and a welcome slant for us all to consider here on the Board. Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your stay here. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• Like 1

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Hello again,

I meant to reply a few days ago but my high school's spring musical took up all my free time. I have my life back now ;) .

Elegant, I would ask my mother, but unfortunately she is only a sales associate with no executive-level decision making power. So for now I mainly browse eBay, not local stores, if I'm in the mood to buy (or dream).

However, I just won a pair of black suede lace-up ankle boots on eBay. They have 3" modified Louis heels and are a ladie's size 12 (I am a 10 in men's). I'm crossing my fingers that they will fit, as I had good fortune with the cuban-heeled "Beatle Boots" I bought before on eBay. These boots are fairly gender-nuetral (or as close as possible) except for the embroidered detail by the eyelets. I got them for $24.90 total with shipping from Alaska - I'm not complaining!

They will most definitely NOT be worn at school, as the uniform pants will expose them completely (I'm newer to heels and want to hide any higher than about 1 3/4 inches). Boot-cut jeans would hide them well, though; I haven't street-heeled in anything above 1 3/4 inches high. Also, I am contemplating going as an Edwardian woman for Halloween 2007, and costumes are allowed to be worn to school that day. I have a lot of time to plan.

These are the boots. I have to mail the payment still, so I won't get them for a while. Hopefully they will not be so generous in the ankle that they won't lace tightly....

Posted Image

I'm also very interested in Freestyling; before I came here I had never heard of it. I would love to wear a long skirt, but Western society ridicules it, of course. I love the skirt offerings from the famous J. Peterman company (they made incredible reproductions of many of Kate Winslet's costumes from the movie Titanic for a short period).

The ankle-length denim walking skirt:

Posted Image

And the voluminous "Geometry" skirt. The hemline measures 236 inches all the way around, and is about 75 inches wide. Gravity would cause all that fabric to drape and fold in a very pleasing way. It is shown in tan but is also available in blue; I think it was available in burgundy and black last year.

Posted Image

These skirts really lend themselves to the Victorian/Edwardian boots and shoes I love so much. Most of their skirts go up to a size 16, if anyone is interested. Their clothing is expensive but is very well designed and constructed. http://www.jpeterman.com

That's all I really have to say right now.

Thanks,

EdwardianEra

Hi again, Dawn HH - thanks for your kind words! I really like that website, Elegant! I had visited it some time ago but didn't know they had updated their "shoes for sale" pages. Thanks for bringing it up. In a different vein... The more I think about it, the more I want to buy a skirt and wear it publicly. Unfortunately, I could only wear it when my parents aren't home, as they are not accustomed to the idea. However, they have noticed my general behaviour over the course of my life has indicated that I am not straight - at this point I am unsure if I am gay or bisexual. Thankfully, my mother and father are not the ultra-conservative religious fanatic-type parents that I would dread having. We are Catholic but have the sense to figure out when the church is way off-base (such as in its treatment of homosexuals - and its nonrecognition of bisexuals). I go to a Catholic high school. I have made friends with many surprisingly open-minded and caring people, but the majority of the school is comprised of rich snobs who trash gays and supected classmates at every possible chance. Additionally, everyone is labelled the second they enter the school. And the Catholic faith is supposed to be accepting and loving...homophobia doesn't help my perception of the church. In all honesty, I do my best to not care what classmates and society think of me, but sometimes it is so hard resist peer pressure. As I said before I want to wear an ankle-length skirt for Halloween 2007 to school but am kind of afraid of the comments I'll receive. Wearing high-heeled shoes with the skirt kind of make it a double-whammy. Hmm.... .................. Ah, to hell with it, I'll worry about it later. Anyway, the black suede ankle boots I bought off eBay should be arriving this Monday, the 8th. I can't wait to try them on! I do hope they'll fit. That day my older sister and I are going to the Salvation Army, and if I can muster the courage I'm going to look for and buy a few skirts. Something else - I am a very Aesthetic and artistic person. I love drawing...my notebooks are full of drawings and sketches from when I get bored in class. I did a small sketch of myself wearing a skirt and heeled Edwardian button boots; if I'm able to scan it in soon I'll post it before I retire to bed. Happy Easter, all. -EdwardianEra

Here's that sketch of me wearing a skirt:

Posted Image

The outfit would consist of a tailored vest, a collared shirt and tie, a pleated ankle-length skirt, and low-calf button boots with 3" Louis heels. A custom-made corset would be an interesting idea, as well....

Forgive the grainy quality of the paper and the smudging in some areas.

G'night,

-EdwardianEra

Hi EdwardianEra, I just was reading your forum, welcomenote. You really made your homework about edwardian shoes and heels. Congratulations. It was very intresting, but as I remember of my historical lessons.In those times, the males also had heels on there shoes, and sometimes higher then the ladies. Look at Louis the fifteenth, he was only a small person. Or am I wrong. That is also why I would say,why can't we wear high heels like they did in those days. Anyway, keep the good work up, FL

• Like 1

FoxyLady

Hello foxylady, You are correct that persons such as Louis XV wore heels, often four inches high or more. However, with the French Revolution in the late 1700s, high-heels became associated with the despised wealthy and aristocratic class. Therefore, heels were not seen on shoes again until about the 1860s, and then only for ladies. The highest heel I have seen on a man's daywear boot from ca. 1900 is a one-and-one-half inch block heel. I just want to say how great this forum is. I feel very comfortable posting about these issues and ideas; all of you are very kind and open toward what I have to say. Thanks for that. -EdwardianEra

Hello and welcome EdwardianEra. I, like the others here, am very impressed. You have really done your homework. You seem to be very mature and inteligent for a young man. You have struck an interest in the history of heels with me and I look forward to reading your posts and experiences in the future. I to thought I was alone in the world with my passion for heels until I came across this site and it has really opened me up to the fact that its OK to be myself and wear what I want when and where I want. I have posted pics and videos all around here and have not hid anything and am proud of it. Have fun my friend and once again, welcome.

real men wear heels

Thanks johnieheel. I'm appreciative that others recognize my maturity (most of my classmates at school are very immature toward change, people who are different, etc.).

I took that brave step on Friday and bought my first pair of heels in person. They were black patent knee-high boots from Pleaser. I bought them at a vintage clothing store near me for $35; a friend (girl) went with me and pretended they were for her when my dad saw the box (he was waiting in the car). The clerk was in her early 20s and was very kind; I simply said, "I'd like to buy these", she said, "Okay, great", and I paid and left. This was after I went with my friend into the lone dressing room to try them on.

Posted Image

My sister joked that they looked like something Frank in 'Rocky Horror' would wear; I don't blame her, they do. But I think they would look fine, especially hidden under jeans for street-heeling.

I will tell my mother about my high-heeled boots; I don't know when. Sometime before Saturday, this week, I hope. That day my sister is taking me to Affirmations, a gay and lesbian community center. It's located in Ferndale, Michigan, which is a supposed to be one of the most accommodating cities in the United States (surprisingly).

http://www.goaffirmations.org

To go there, I plan to wear a grey sweater, a grey skirt about four inches below the knee, black knee-high stockings, and either the Pleaser knee boots or my newly arrived lace-up ankle boots, which I'll post pictures of soon. In fact, I'll post pictures of the whole outfit with both boots in the Freestyle thread in the men's section.

I bought another pair of boots from eBay on Saturday morning. They are not high heeled, only 1.5 inches, but they are women's and I think they will be a good way to transition from men's to women's shoes and boots in front of my friends and family.

Posted Image

They are made by Oak Tree Farms (oaktreefarms.com) and are the lace-up style I love so much. They should arrive later this week or early next week.

Well, I've got to go and sleep; school resumes tomorrow.

-EdwardianEra

Well, these Pleasers are IMHO a bit too shiny- I'd prefer genuine leather, but that's just me. The heels could also be nicer- they seem too chunky and uncomfortable to me (I prefer heels that aren't so "rearward"). As for the second pair- it's GREAT! I think guys could wear them with no problems.

I have found that it's pretty much like anything else. Once the first shock of seeing or hearing about something out of the ordnairy is over, It's all down hill. My friends love me for who I am, not what I wear. I have a very close male friend that led me to passionforfootwear and this site. At first I was a little nervous to tell him about my passion for heels but his reaction was not at all what I expected. The next day I went to his house, he guided me to his computer and showed me what he found for me. At the time I had no computer, he was teaching me that also.What a great way to learn about computers.LOL .I might add that I and he are very straight so I didn't know what to expect when I told him I about my heels. That is a true friend. Now we joke and have alot of fun with it. Just remember Edward, we only go around once and if you can't be yourself, then who can you be. Don't miss out on who you are simply because someone else thinks it's wrong. They're the minoriety, not you. P.S. I love the white boots.

real men wear heels

I agree that the Pleasers are a bit too shiny, Elegant. Unfortunately, it was all the store had that fit me, and they will be less noticeable than white or red patent if worn under jeans. I am a little strapped for cash right now - $35 was a fairly decent price for the boots, even if they are all man-made materials. Eventually I want to get a pair of leather knee boots. As for the heel, I don't love them either, but they will be better for getting used to standing and balancing in three inch heels (a first for me). I am hoping for the best, johnieheel, when I tell my parents. They really shouldn't be upset over it, considering how many other things are going on that are truly significant, mostly in negative ways, in the world today. Time to leave for school. I'll finish posting later. -EdwardianEra

EdwardianEra That sketch is brilliant! Good luck in coming out to your family. Perhaps you might find some pictures that might aid you in coming out to your family from among this collection of pictures?

Or perhaps not. Either way, we are all here rooting for you and offer our support. If you ever feel the need for a pm or more "private" talk, please feel free to pm me.

Hello all,

foxylady, I have told my sister, but my mother...now that I've had a little thinking time, I think I'll wait to tell her for a while. It won't be disastrous if I wait a time longer to tell her and my dad. I just have to keep the small collection of heels and skirts well hidden for now.

Thanks kneehighs. I really appreciate the offer, and if I need to talk I'll let you know.

Now I know I'm addicted...I found yet another pair of heels on eBay I really want.

Posted Image

I don't have a nice pair of pumps yet, and it's even harder to find ones in size 11 with Louis heels. These have only 2.5" heels, which would be good and comfortable (the jump from 1.75" to 3" is a little much for me now with my other boots). The embroidery is nice, and I think these would go well with my grey skirt when I go to Affirmations in the future.

These boots (below) are not in my price range, right now. I want them in the future, though, as the Louis heels are period-authentic and only 2.5" (more comfortable). They are available in black, distressed light brown, and distressed dark reddish-brown.

Posted Image

They cost about $100 on eBay, but they are made by the same maker as the ivory laceups I posted (Oak Tree Farms), and they are available in a size 11. However, these boots only come in wide sizes; depending on how the ivory boots fit I'll know if a wide would fit okay.

By the way, the lace-up ivory boots are being shipped tomorrow morning, the 18th. I hope they get here by Friday (I may wear them to Affirmations on Saturday instead of my 3" ankle boots, which I am not completely comfortable wearing yet).

I finally posted a photograph of me in a mid-calf skirt and heeled ankle boots in the men's freestyling thread, if anyone hasn't noticed yet. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

-EdwardianEra

Just being curious but what are your "Affrimations?" and, how often do you have to "affirm?" and are your "affrimations" given in a public setting? --Let us know how you are received dressed in your skirt and pumps.

Hi JNR, You may have missed what I said in a previous post. Affirmations is a gay -lesbian community center in Ferndale, Michigan. They offer a safe haven for people of all sexual orientations to make friends and get advice on issues with family, school and life. -EdwardianEra

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone, That's a great suggestion, Stomcat. I'll have to start scoping out such events in areas close by me. At Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan, there are vintage car shows throughout the year, and one car show focuses specifically on late 1800s to 1930 automobiles. They are very fun, because all the drivers (and their children and spouses) and mostly required to dress up in period correct clothing. Although, sometimes I see historical mistakes in the outfits that bother me, such as the shoes being incorrect (heels too thin, too wide) or patent leather (overly shiny and sometimes scuffed). Most good-quality leather back then was treated to be so shiny that it would be close to, but not quite, as shiny as patent shoes today. But the leather was also 'glove soft'; some modern patent can be a bit stiff. If you have never had the pleasure to handle an original pair of Victorian boots, you do not know how incredibly soft the leather is. The ivory boots I ordered came about a week-and-a-half ago (the Friday before last). They are absolutely wonderful! The fit was better once I put my gel arch support insoles in, though. The toes are pointy, and the toebox could use a slight stretching, but they fit fine otherwise. The heel is about two inches, and very comfortable to walk in. I'll post more about them shortly (have to go help with dinner). -EdwardianEra

Hello again everyone,

I went to the mall this morning with a few friends and picked up some shoes at Payless!

Flat black pumps with small bows on the toe, three inch heel, size 11 wide:

Posted Image

I don't love these shoes, but they fit better than most of the others I tried. I wore them out of the store and around the mall for a few hours. They began to really hurt in the toe and heel, so I'll need to get some kind of pad that will help those areas without affecting the grip fit around the back of my heel. They were also only $15, so if I end up donating them or something it won't be too much of a loss.

Now, these are great:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Red patent sandals, size eleven wide. I had previously ruled out buying any sandals because I don't like to wear shoes that expose my toes, but I tried these on and I fell in love with the faux t-strap design. I then went to Sears and bought six pairs of knee-high stockings: four black, one brown, and one flesh-coloured, the last to use with the sandals when I find an occasion to wear them.

I tried on the flesh stockings with the sandals and they look great, but with a skirt, my blantantly unshaved legs show through them. ;) I can't shave my legs because my parents (a) don't know about my heels yet, and (:o would become suspicious if they happened to see my hairless leg if a pant leg gets pulled up when I'm lying on the sofa or something.

Anyway, I measured the heel at the back, and it is exactly four and one-quarter inches. I was amazed; I didn't know I could walk well in three-and-a-half to four inch heels yet. They seem shorter because of the thickness of the sole in the heel area. They fit well, and they do not have a severe case of "flip-flop" syndrome like some backless sandals do. They were on sale: only $17.

If I find them fairly comfortable for extended wearing, I may splurge and buy another pair in black patent.

I'll post photos when I can; my parents are out right now for their 24th anniversary but my little sister is home with me.

-EdwardianEra

Congratulations on your public outing, EdwardianEra. It's always an inspiration to read interesting stories of people's public outings. ;)

Here are a couple of pictures I thought you might find interesting:

Posted Image

From VOGUE

December 14, 1947

by Richard Rutledge

Nanette Fabray’s feet, scene from "High Buttoned Shoes."

Posted Image

From VOGUE

February 1, 1935

by Horst P. Horst

IMAGE ID: 70060

Shoes and gloves (from top): glove by Alexandrine in black antelope and silk; short black leather boot by Bentivegna; satin and leather evening sandal by Greco; leather evening sandal with interlacing straps by Bentivegna; Russian high boot by Julienne in black antelope; and black reindeer glove with ermine trim by Hermès.

Wow, kneehighs, those are great photographs of some gorgeous shoes! I can't find any information on the musical "High Button Shoes", but I'll keep looking. That second picture is interesting; I didn't know boots had yet entered the fashion world in the 1930s. I have an appointment with my school counsellor tomorrow morning. She is the best and most understanding of all the counsellors, and therefore I can talk openly about my heels and skirts with her. It's a bit risky, but I'm going to bring in my new pumps and sandals and show them to her (when I bring in shoes to show her, I take them in large paper grocery bags, and always put a change of clothes on top of them as a front). There is little to no chance that my bag will attract attention on the way into the building, and I can leave them in her office in morning until my appointment during third period. It's so nice having someone to talk about this kind of stuff to, like my counsellor, my sister, and all of you here at HHPlace. -EdwardianEra