High heels in Pantomimes

Firefox

I don't know if anyone else other than those in the UK has these shows. If you don't know what they are, they are plays which occur around Christmas mainly as entertainment for kids, but adults enjoy them too. It was a post by Carolyn in the womens's forum that reminded me. Common ones are Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Alladin, or Dick Whittington.

In these plays, the girls often play male parts and the men play girls. The interesting thing is both sets of chracters wear high heels. However, the girls playing men wear "proper" heels, boots and thigh boots with 4 or 5 inch heels, whereas the men playing girls wear clumpy old 1 or 2 inch heels that your granny might wear, proving that even when they play men, the girls still get to wear the heels!

This also reminds me of a picture from Jenny's site which shows "prince" Charming and Cinderella. Of course when girls play girls like Cinderella they get to wear nice heels too:

Posted Image

Believe in your right to wear what you want

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-20 21:11 ]</font>

I suppose Canada still has enough ties to the UK to allow us to have these shows. We aren't as strict with the pantomine rules as they are in UK. Here, many of the evil people in roles for women are played by men, but they draw the line at the main characters. So in Cinderella, Ella's mother and step sisters are played by men, and they wear nice but lower heeled shoes. Of course, if they have a ballerina playing Ella, then high heels are not used much except by the men who are playing women. I also remember one about Robin Hood, where the gender reversal was the same as our Cinderella. Only a few of the characters are switched around as to who plays them, and then usually, it is about a comical look at the baddies. The Sherriff was still played by a man, though. Of course, these are all tapings of particular performances which are then shown on TV. Interesting how the same tradition is different in two different countries.