Just a touch too big

Wolfgang

I bought a pair of 4 or 5 inch all-black patent wedges. In flat shoes, an 8 fits wonderfully, but I like a tighter fit for heels and such [A 7 or 7.5] I would have bought the smaller size, but 8 was the only size in this style and I had to buy them. These are just slightly big - good width-wise, but not tight enough that my heel stays in when I walk. What can I do about this? Is there something I can do or buy to make them fit better?

Depending on how loose they are you can buy self-adhesive heel grips. It's just a wee sticky suede cushion that goes in the back of your shoe.

Chris

It would have to be pretty thick. I tried stuffing the toe so my heel fits into the shoe heel, but I had to use so much. I like these shoes a lot, but if they're not comfortable it's no good. I'll probably take them back and get a different pair.

The other pair is 4 in platform stillettos with cork heels, made out of a pink patent material.

I think they're about 5mm or so. If you need more than that I think you're right and you'll need to exchange them for a smaller pair. It's not worth keeping shoes that you can't wear, no matter how much you like them. :-(

Chris

Yea. The store didn't have them in a 7.

I hate it when you see something you really want but they don't have your size. In the past I've bought shoes that I could squeeze into, and ones that I could only wear with two pairs of socks. All of them ended up either going to charity shops or on eBay. ;) Chris

Absolutely. If they don't have your size in the shoes, better to save the money for another pair that you really want than to compromise just to get a new pair. I'd return them and save the money for your boots. Even if you could somehow make them almost fit, they'd be really uncomfortable on a night out and you'd not wear them again. Chris

If they don't fit right, it would be best to send them back and put the money toward something that does fit well. Being a male heeler I am usually faced with the opposite problem -- too small, either by a little or (more often) a lot. Either way, ill fitting shoes are miserable and if you keep them they will wind up in the back of the closet and then on a yard sale in ten years.

Have a happy time!

Have you heard of insoles, or in this case, half insoles...the half insoles you put down inside the foot or the ball of the foot(shoe) and they help keep you from sliding down into the shoe, and that keeps your foot tighter in the shoe. You could also stick a tongue pad in the shoe (Stick under shoes laces area, slide far under enough that you can't see them) and that also makes the shoe tighter.