A Classic: The Stiletto Trap

Always love hearing when people discover this story for the first time! :D I remember when I first came across it through an issue of "The Patent Letter" newsletter so many years ago, and it sent me off a whole new direction with my interest in shoes. Great days! :)

I, too, read “The Stiletto Trap” some time back and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was the first story I encountered with a strongly high heel theme. I hoped to find more but never did. I do remember at the time not being able to get completely engaged because the supposed properties of the shoe were completely unrealistic. Shafted made a good point that new technology has now made many of them possible. For me that makes the story more believable. I don't have to suspend belief quite as much. As Walkonit pointed out, it doesn't answer all of them. For the sake of the story, I could easily postulate a high strength fiber-composite material with a ceramic cladding with a very smooth surface finish. That may be able to pass for patent leather. Don't ask me for samples because I'm sure it doesn't exists but In that context, I found the story more enjoyable now. I do agree that the concept would make a good movie. As Meganiwish points out, here is a long history of novels/films where the lead finds herself in a situation from which there is seemingly no escape. There, the unknown is the star. I suspect there are variations where the lead character wishes for something and then has to suffer the consequences when the wish comes true. I find those kinds of stories more chilling than monster/alien stories where the only purpose is to show mayhem. Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to find more media regarding stuck heels (stuck on as a opposed to stuck in, like so many of those youtube videos,) but they're few and far between it seems.