New to heels

poppi

Hey there Just a quick hello to all you heel lovers very pleased to meet you all, and that i am just starting out seriously in heels for my husband and would be happy to accept any tips on how to cope in them Many thanks

Deb's

First of all, welcome to the High Heel Place!!! :admin_welcome: Second how to cope with wearing high heels? Well, start of with a low heel hight like 3", proper fit is important, lots practice, and time. It can take up to several years to work your way up to comfortably wear.....oh l lets say 5" or higher heels w/o a platform, so don't be discouraged. There is a wealth of information on this board so if you have the the time read up and participate. :academic:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Can I just suggest making sure you can cope emotionally as well as physically? Elsewhere you mention courts with locking straps, here you mention doing this "for" your husband. That combination could mean a number of things, from safe sane+consensual to anything but! Before starting down that road, are you *absolutely sure* you're a) happy with where it'll lead and/or :rocker: happy you can get off it if it turns in a direction you're not comfortable with? If not, I'd be very cautious about starting down that road. Otherwise, I'm with Hoverfly: start low and build up, practising over time. You'll be more comfortable and far better able to walk in 'em! This means that the (probably) 4+" locking heels are almost certainly too high to start with if you're not already used to something quite close to that height. All the best, - Peter

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

. . . Elsewhere you mention courts with locking straps, here you mention doing this "for" your husband. That combination could mean a number of things, from safe sane+consensual to anything but! Before starting down that road, are you *absolutely sure* you're a) happy with where it'll lead and/or :rocker: happy you can get off it if it turns in a direction you're not comfortable with? If not, I'd be very cautious about starting down that road.

. . .

Yes, most definitely -- If you are wearing heels because you want to, because they make you feel in a way you like or want, for yourself -- then that's a positive reason to do it. If you are doing it strictly to please somebody else, even somebody as close as your husband, then that is a danger sign. The locking heels veer into the bondage area -- if you are into that then that's OK. If you are not into that then you and your husband need to have a serious discussion.

You are part of this situation too. Your comfort level, wants and desires are every bit as important as his.

Have a happy time!

hi there thanks for making us so welcome in this site, ive been wearing wearing heels a little while now its just that i want to go out in public in them more and could do with a few suggestions on where is good for going in heels for the first few times many thanks again

Deb's

Poppi:-) Welcome to the Forum. I completely agree with the thoughts of Hoverfly, Ozzard, and JMC on this subject. While it is commendable to want to do this for your husband, you are ultimately the one that has to be comfortable and satisfied and wanting to do this for yourself. If this is what you really want and will enjoy and have fun doing this, then by-all-means go to it. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

hi there

thanks for making us so welcome in this site, ive been wearing wearing heels a little while now its just that i want to go out in public in them more and could do with a few suggestions on where is good for going in heels for the first few times

many thanks again

Surely being female there's nowhere that you can't wear them?

Welcome to the board by the way!

Chris

i don't want look to amateurish in heels out doors

Best thing to do (as hoverfly said earlier) is start out with a lower heel and work your way up. If you start with a 5-inch heel you will wobble, tire quickly and probably give it up. But a 2.5 - 3" heel is not all that difficult to manage. Wear them for a few days and get used to them -- as a female you do not have to worry about being "caught" in heels. When you get to the point where you no longer think about your heels, they have become second nature and you can go up a half-inch or so. As heels get higher, incremental height makes a lot more difference. The difference between a 2.5 and a 3" heel is barely noticeable. The difference between a 5 inch and a 5.5 is night and day.

Also, heel height depends on shoe size. A 4 inch heel on a size 6 (US) is very high, while a 4 inch heel on a size 12 (US) is modestly high. A 4 inch heel in a size 6 is more like a 5.5 or 6 inch heel on a size 12.

Listen to your body, listen to your feet and ankles. If you get uncomfortable, change to a lower heel. Regardless of how some of us sound here, very few people actually wear heels all the time.

Have a happy time!

might sound silly but is there a difference between like indoor carpet and out like concrete ive only ever worn quite high heels indoors

Oh, definitely there is a difference.

First, the sound! On concrete, tile or hardwood it's deafening if your heels are hard plastic or metal. You'll swear every eye within ten blocks is looking at you -- especially in an enclosed area where the sound echoes. If you go with a broader heel, with a softer "heel tip" (the part that actually touches the floor) you can cut down the volume. (Be aware, most of us love that sound and I'm liable to take some flames for suggesting a method of reducing its volume.)

Second, a very high heel might actually feel a bit higher on a hard surface. This is because the heel will sink into carpeting and the toe will rest higher than on the hard surface -- a little bit like wearing a mini-platform.

Third, a lot of the soles on dress shoes are very smooth -- even slick. On carpet they will slip quite a bit while on concrete they will slip a lot less. In fact, walking on concrete -- especially if there is a little bit of sand on top of it -- will roughen up the soles amd make them less slippery on carpet.

Stilettos, especially, don't work very well on soft ground. The heels sink in and get damaged easily. Cobblestones or uneven surfaces are a challenge too -- you really need to watch your step (and I do mean that literally).

Have a happy time!

I find the best thing to do with high heel shoes which have a thin smooth sole is to get stick-on soles fitted, this not only protects the sole of the shoe from wear, it also protects your feet from uncomfortable small pebbles that you may step on. It also makes the shoes a lot safer to wear. As regards heel height, I find anything up to a 4" heel is easy to wear, but shoes which have a 4.5" heel feel really high and I would not wear anything higher.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

Oh yes high heels out doors is a completely different ball game, simply put and bottom line as I need to got to bed, wearing heels and working up to higher heels is really an exercises regiment. You have to keep it up and build up endurance. Lessen to your feet, if they get tired sit down and rest. Change heel heights half way through the day to a lower heels. On all day outings carry a pair of flats until you are comfortable that you can wear such hight all day with out any problems. Last thing to think about, It takes twice as many steps in 5" heels to reach your destination as if you were wearing a much lower heels, make sure hubby knows that so he does not walk at warp speed away from you or burn you out.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

poppi as the others have said start at the bottum and work up, start with the stuff u can easily get in high street shops the 3 to 4 inch heels wear them everyday, but with a lower back up pair just in case, and yes listen to your feet, we feel pain for a reason it is to tell you that you are doing damage, so if u get uncomfortable put something lower on, remember our feet maybe free but we can't buy a replacement set. so have fun take it a step at a time and i hope you make it to the heel height u want to get to. and as for the heels i like, i have allsorts, from the high street type stuff all the way through to full ballet heels, style's most things from sandals to shoes to boots kne high thigh high and crotch high oh and if u end up with alot of heels you may begin having storage space issues, just an early warning later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

Hi Poppi Most heels available in high street shops top out at around four inches, so you're starting out very high. No matter how comfortable you feel in heels at home, walking in them outside is a whole different kettle of fish. There's uneven surfaces to deal with, not to mention no handy sofa for when your feet get sore. I'd agree with the advice others have given and start with heels between three and four inches until you're confident in them out and about. You could try going for short walks to get used to the heels and to build up your tolerance for wearing them. It's not just being able to balance in them, the higher the heel the more pressure there is on the balls of your feet and they'll get sore more quickly. Scholl "Party Feet" gel cushions help, but it might be worth taking a pair of flat shoes the first couple of times in case your feet really start to hurt. Chris

Last thing to think about, It takes twice as many steps in 5" heels to reach your destination as if you were wearing a much lower heels, make sure hubby knows that so he does not walk at warp speed away from you or burn you out.

That is probably the most overlooked part of breaking in the custom of wearing high heels..

...women take smaller steps so the spacing between each step-"heel down-roll through-step off"-is not as wide-apart as we men are accustomed to making in generally flat shoes...

...each shoe-heel-height has it's one geometry meaning that it has a cadence, a spacing in the landing-rolling-stepping off unique to itself that you will pick up as you practice...

...you will shorten the step you were previously taking and the shorter distance-between will have a nice, comfortable "just-right" feel to it that can be pleasurable in its own right if you're really into it...

when I was out this weekend I was managing fine in 3 1/2 inch Frederick's stiletto boots with very pointy toes until I forgot I was in them and started to walk like a guy would be walking...longer steps...and I suddenly developed a pressure-point along the side of my right-great-toe three hours after I started out in them...when I realized what I was doing it felt like I had been running-that is, the hurried steps forcing my foot down where a man's step would come down-not the spacing and careful steps demanded by the heel...and that finished it for the day for as soon as I got home off they came...

..of course I wore heels again that evening -recounted elsewhere but different shape and no pressure where I had the problem earlier...

...so define the stride you feel most comfortable taking and make it your own...

Jim

JSpikeheels

Hi Poppi, it's nice to have you onboard. I agree with all the advice, start off with something in the 3-4 " range, and get some padded inserts to put under the ball of your foot. The cushioning will make life a lot easier. Plus, as we don't know your foot size, a 3" heel might seem very high in your in a size 3, whereas the a 4.5" inch heel in a size 8 would give your arch the same lift. When you venture out, think about where you are going. A shopping mall with level floors is a good start, but be careful in a hilly area. Going downhill makes the heels seem higher, and what you need at the moment is practice. BB2000

I love the feel of that ultimate lift!

Jumping in here... I've been out (carefully!) in 6" heels (but I'm a UK 11), and gone to Rocky Horror Show (twice) in 5" heels - probably the equivalent of a hair over 4" in your shoe size. As the other folks have said, key is to practise. Think of it like any other physical exercise or sport - you don't run a marathon immediately. If you're me, you don't even run a mile immediately! Instead, you start with something that you know is under your control; and you build up, stretching yourself a little each time you exercise and backing off if you get too tired. Wearing high heels is (at times very tiring) physical exercise. Start off with something lower and work up over an extended period - weeks to months - stretching yourself slowly. There are plenty of wedge- and blade-heeled boots around in the UK at the moment; they might be worth considering. They're fashionable, relatively cheap, and perfectly reasonable day wear. The advantage of a wider blade heel is that you're not both learning to walk in a higher heel and balance on a spike at the same time - to use a different analogy, it's a bit like stabilisers on a bike. Yes, you can learn to ride a bike without stabilisers, but it'll probably take longer and you'll end up with some scratches from falling off. I'd humbly suggest avoiding doing yourself damage - respect your body (it's the only one you'll get) and go cautiously. Best of luck working up the height and the confidence. You can do it! - Peter

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Hi Poppi, the highest I've been out in my 12" heeled 7"platform boots, not far and carefully. That was a real test of balance and watching where I was going. I've been out with my mates in 5" heels, but as I wear a size 8 it wasn't too bad. BB2000

I love the feel of that ultimate lift!

My first proper outing in heels was in the boots in my avatar which are about 4.5". I went out to a rock club in Manchester with some friends, mainly because it's a good place for a night out, and partly because there's a real "wear what you want" atmosphere and a guy in heels wasn't going to shock anyone. I ended up in the boots for about eight hours, and spent a fair proportion of that on my feet, which were killing me by the end of the night. Bars / clubs are a good place to go though because you can usually sit down. I did take a pair of trainers in a bag in case my feet got too sore, but I was having such a good time in my heels I didn't want to take them off. I'm lucky in that I'm a UK 7.5, so I can find heels that fit pretty much anywhere. Chris