How do fix noisy heels to be quiet?

This is what I did. Pulled the old heel cap off. Then filled heel with foam and leveled it off with knife after it dried. I bought some new soles for Burkinstock Sandels and cut a new cap from them. Or buy a pair of used soft sole shoes from Goodwill and cut them up. Glued them on and trimmed to size. Click noise was gone. Good Luck Ruby

As a "professional" this is a post, I can't get my head round! my view is meant with no disrespect to you Ruby John, but I can never understand why anyone would go to all the effort & expense of doing what you have done, when you could go to someone like me & get the whole job done, cheaper, quicker & with a better quality finish :winkiss:

Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

Best way I know is , look straight ahead, set your target where you are going, don't pay any attention to what everybody else is doing and GO! Also when I'm with my wife, its much more fun. People look to see where all the clicking is comming from and when they look down and see, I'm the one usually making the most noise. I get a kick out of it.:winkiss:

real men wear heels

I did have heels replaced at two different shoe repair shops and they still made a lot of noise. They said they only use a hard rubber because the soft ones wear too fast. If you move to Chicago I will be GLAD to come to your shop. Thanks for the reply. Ruby

Does that mean there's an option for softer heels? Since it's not like I wear them everyday, I'd much rather have softer heels (if that makes them quieter) at the expense of having to re-heel them more often.

That would be kinda nice.

real men wear heels

As a "professional" this is a post, I can't get my head round! my view is meant with no disrespect to you Ruby John, but I can never understand why anyone would go to all the effort & expense of doing what you have done, when you could go to someone like me & get the whole job done, cheaper, quicker & with a better quality finish :w00t2:

Lee

In defense of Ruby John, it's often difficult to get a repair shop (of any kind) here in the States to do what you expect. I think the problem can be identified in the following:

"I'm sure you think you understand what you heard me say.

However, I'm not so sure if you realize that what you think

you heard is NOT what I meant." :lmao:

These days, getting anything done to one's satisfaction is almost mission impossible.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Does that mean there's an option for softer heels? Since it's not like I wear them everyday, I'd much rather have softer heels (if that makes them quieter) at the expense of having to re-heel them more often.

Yes there is an option for softer heels, BUT if the shoes are hollow, soft materials will collapse into the voids unless they are filled with (in my case) a corking to fill them (back to an earlier post!)

Its not all about how soft they are, but the rubber content of the replacement heel, removing the hard plastic original heel & altering the acoustics of the design.

In defense of Ruby John, it's often difficult to get a repair shop (of any kind) here in the States to do what you expect.

I appreciate what you are saying but the states runs one of the most prestigious repair competitions in the world & the "good" repairers do exist its a matter of finding them! the answer to this I don't have though!:lmao:

RULES of engagement

ASK

Do you fit quite heels on shoes? If the answers anything but yes, question yourself why!

Can you fill the heel block to reduce the acoustic? If the answers possibly or yes then you have a repairer who's thinking!

if your in the shop ask

Could I see a pair of shoes you have heeled If the repairer is proud of his work he will happily show you his finished repairs, then you can let your eyes be the judge. If you don't like what you see walk away.

I fully except my industry has some dodgy people working in it, but it also has a high percentage who are engaged in what they do & love it, myself included if you can find one of these you'll have a repairer for life.:w00t2:

Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I go out of my way to buy heels that are made of rubber or a similar synthetic. They might not be your style though, they are usually chunky heel or wedge heel, and typically you can only find them 3-4" range, but I have a few pairs that are up to 5" with non-clacking heels. Almost 3/4 of my collection have heels similar to avoid that sound since I too want to avoid attention.

I found two example pictures online that are kind of close to some that I have that and I know both are quiet heels. Yes, and before you tell me those are ugly, well I sort of agree, but you know, it shoes like this that work for a stealther like me.

If you shop carefully and patiently, non-clacking heeled shoes don't have to be as ugly as the ones posted here... I do have some nice quiet ones that are actually good looking too. :cry1:

Last note, there are vendors that sell rubber heel replacement tips for stiletto heels if you must keep that style, here is one I found on a quick search on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260495455171&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*I7&GUID=0ec124f91260a0265347abe7ffce6fba&itemid=260495455171&ff4=263602_263622

post-12379-133522900966_thumb.jpg

post-12379-133522900969_thumb.jpg

Well no great affection for the second pair of boots. However, the first pair, they're actually pretty nice. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be wearing them out (appearance wise). If the little bumps (discs?) on the soles could be eliminated, and the platform eliminated (ideally keeping the same heel height - I'm guessing close to 4"?), they'd be a great pair of heeling boots for me, and in fact close to what I've been looking for. My biggest problem is my d*mn foot size of 13 men. Boots like you showed I'm sure are pretty much size 6-10 ones, it's doubtful you'd find them in larger sizes. I'm basically relegated to Payless or Avenue (Cloudwalker) size 13 availabilty, which is basically hit (but more often) miss. I found a pair of acceptable boots at Avenue, if the heel could be replaced. Took them first time to my local shoe repaired, asked if he could replace the heels (previously he replaced the heel tips on a similar Avenue pair of boots - no improvement). He said that there's no inventory anymore of available heel replacements. A little after that, I found a pair of boots on ebay like your first pair, which I asked if he could remove the heels from those, and install them on mine. He said that most shoes today aren't designed for that type of repair/modification, and he'd basically end up destroying shoes trying to get them apart. [Would others agree this is a true statement?] I'm starting to look into a custom pair of boots, pretty much because I think it might be the only way I can get a pair of discrete looking boots, with quiet heels, in my size. No my first choice: definitely more expensive, with no return option if I'm unhappy with them, but I don't see many other options for me.

• 1 year later...

I go out of my way to buy heels that are made of rubber or a similar synthetic. They might not be your style though, they are usually chunky heel or wedge heel, and typically you can only find them 3-4" range, but I have a few pairs that are up to 5" with non-clacking heels. Almost 3/4 of my collection have heels similar to avoid that sound since I too want to avoid attention.

I found two example pictures online that are kind of close to some that I have that and I know both are quiet heels. Yes, and before you tell me those are ugly, well I sort of agree, but you know, it shoes like this that work for a stealther like me.

If you shop carefully and patiently, non-clacking heeled shoes don't have to be as ugly as the ones posted here... I do have some nice quiet ones that are actually good looking too. :silly:

Last note, there are vendors that sell rubber heel replacement tips for stiletto heels if you must keep that style, here is one I found on a quick search on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260495455171&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*I7&GUID=0ec124f91260a0265347abe7ffce6fba&itemid=260495455171&ff4=263602_263622

I have a pair of the exact boots you're showing on the right hand side (with the laces going up the back). Great pair of boots for the money! They're comfortable, have excellent traction in the snow, silent, etc. I wear them all the time.

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, Well I read a number of your post and also posts on other forums on how to fix the noise of my boots that were almost 100 dB !! The heel is a chunky hollow block made of plastic and it is a horror. First I tried with cloth stickers for chairs (1/8 inch thick). 1€. They were worn in half an hour without having made the slightest noise reduction. Thus I took the shoes to the cobbler this afternoon. First one said he had never done that and anyway did not have any foam or corking liquid. So I drove to the next mall. The second I met fixed it all. He removed the heel tips, stuffed absorbing paper inside the heels, and replaced the heel tips with softer ones. I was amazed how easily and quickly he had removed the heels tips (3 secondes max with its tool). Far better than drilling holes or anything. The whole thing took 20 minutes, 8€. Gained at least 50 dB, this is a success !! Thank you all to your very helpful posts.

I had a pair of heeled loafers that I wanted to wear out and about, but they were so damn noisy that I felt subconscious no matter where I wore them. I took them to a shoe repair shop and the owner said that one of the prime reasons for the noise was the fact that the heels were hollow. He said it would help to fill the cavity with some material (I think he said foam?) and then put a softer rubber heel plate on the bottom. He did say, however, that they could never be completely quiet. I told him to go ahead and make the changes. When I got them back, they were ten times quieter than before. Do they still make a noise? Yes, there is a bit, but no more than most other mens shoes, so I no longer feel like everyone can hear me coming a mile away! I am quite happy with the results.