Heel height for daily wear

Debbie(HK)

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting discussion, this.

But don't forget that the heel height is not the only thing that matters.

I'm short and my size is only 4-5 (UK). My every day wear is 4.5" but that makes the same arch as size 9-10 with 5" heel.

Small sizes are higher (steeper) with the same heel height.

I have some boots with 5" heels, but they are hard to walk in more than a couple of hours, my foot almost lean forward.

The best choice is 4" to keep your foot in proper shape, and 5" or more for special occasions.

I have some 6 inches as well, but I can only stand up and walk a bit in them.

My highest pumps are 7 inches (in size 8 US) and impossible to stand in, but the feeling of vertical support is amazing.

And girls, don't you just love the smell of leather......

/Ninni

"Vanity is my life and that's my name."

I just love High heels.

I much prefer the smell of fresh baked bread, or rosting garlic, or the forest after it has rained. But leather can have a bit of appeal, I suppose. As for heel heights, I think obvious heel heights are one thing for schools, vs what you can actually wear. I mean, at a glance, who can tell the difference between one inch and one and a half? Not many people, and the school isn't going to go around and measure everyone. So I think a person could get away with two inch heels. But get towards three or four, and then, they can notice and enforce the rule. Besides, rules do need bending here and there. It's expected!

In Sweden (and most of Scandinavia) you can wear (almost) what you want in school. The only rule is fashion. Believe it or not, but here you can see girls 13-15 years old dressed up in latest fashion including pointed stilettos with 3 or 4 inch heels. Good or bad? I don't know? If it doesn't hurt anybody, why not? /Ninni :D

"Vanity is my life and that's my name."

I just love High heels.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've posted elsewhere that I wear 5.5'' heels daily. I don't usually have to walk great distances, but sometimes, as for most of last week last week, I have to be on my feet, walking from room to room, up and down stairs, to and from the car-park and up and down slopes. I have no ill-effects and even forgot to take my shoes off for a while after I got home.Two factors help - I have large (u.k. size :D feet, and the design and balance of the shoe has to be right for the wearer. I get most of mine from 'Leatherworks' (they are sold as 6'' and vary a little according to style, I find, but never lower than 5.5''), and for me they are perfect - although they might not suit everyone, so shop around until you find a maker that suits you, and stay with them. I have a few pairs of genuine 6'' which I will wear if I only have to walk short distances, and some of my very old shoes are 4.5'' to 4.75'' - most of them are getting very worn though as I've had some for twenty years or more. I've a few 5'' which for me is a good height for medium shopping and generally dashing about. The 6'' I have are thicker heels than Leatherworks, and to me less attractive. One or two of you have mentioned 7'' - as someone who likes to push things to the limit, those I would love to try. The problem is, I can't afford to buy things which I shall hardly ever wear, so unless I can mange to walk elegantly and naturally, I might have to resist the temptation. I never wear platforms - that's cheating! Are 7'' impossible for size 8 feet? One of the best things that's been said to me is that I look 'comfortable' in my shoes - which means that I am often unconscious of them a lot of the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree, in the UK most girls now wear 4 to 4 1/2 inch heels. that was one of the reasons why I decided to put in a lot of effort to become a real high heeled girl. So I am now struggling to remain in at least 5 1/2, and preferably always 6 and 6 1/2 inch heels. I notice that sometimes at partie girls would wear 5 inch heels, or 6 inch platform heels here

The fashion height now does seem to be around 4" to 41/2" but the shape is generally nothing like as elegant as when stilettos were fashionable last time around - whenever that was, I don't keep too much of an eye on fashion trends, but I seem to remember being able to buy 41/2" heels during the 'eighties. I didn't have a shoe collection as extensive as I have now, of course - I couldn't have afforded it anyway - and before they came back into fashion I snapped them up in clearance sales and even secondhand. I had to look after them well, because I never knew when I might be able to get replacements, but one thing was certain, I wouldn't be forced into chunky heels, with or without platforms. I've never been a slave to fashion, so I felt very superior clicking around in my stilettos while most women were clomping about in platforms or flats. It was even better when long clothes were fashionable because my stilettos looked terrific with a mini! So guess who got the most attention! And now I can feel superior all over again even though heels are back , because mine are at least an inch or so higher than the fashion and much more shapely, and I wear them daily, not just for special occasions. And not only that, but while fashion-followers are complaining about the difficulty of walking in their 4" heels, I'm swanning around in 51/2" or 6" with no problems at all. Sometimes growing older has its compensations! Cinthy, now that you, like I do, wear 61/2" more often, don't 51/2" seem so low afterwards! Elisha, get those 5", I can't imagine you will regret it. You might have seen my thread 'Am I addicted' where I mention that I seem compelled to go as high as physically and practically possible. I wonder if you feel the same way, in which case you won't be content with 5" for long, except for the convenience of getting about if you have to walk a lot. For all other times I don't feel right unless I'm at least 51/2" above the ground! Anne Louise

to me, looks always come first. and trust me it is not easy and never will be piece of cake to wear 6 and 6 1/2 inch stilettos every minute of the day, but i am dedicated and willing to succeed into becoming a real high heel woman. but yes, my strides are much smaller when i wear such heels, there is a huge bondage aspect linked with wearing those heels as well, a girl feels less stable, is more helpless while wearing such very high heels

I was curious about how the higher heels affected ones stride. The highest I wear now is 5" when I'm home or going out and 4" for work. I've worn the 5" to work once but they just weren't quite comfortable enough to me yet. I'm actually blameing the shoe for that though. I can walk in my 5" sandals for some time without much of a problem, but these courts that I have are awful. I find that the 5" hampers me enough as it is. I can only imagine what 6" or higher would be like. I am heading for that height, I find the attention and the sence of achivement quite interesting. I do love my ballets though, but then I like the look of those quite a bit personally. They are for in the house only though. Heh JinxieKat

it all depends on the shape of your feet and shoes. My pumps are usually longer pointy nose pumps, and i have narrowfeet, which helps. My biggest problem is the ball of the foot, (where the toes join the foot basically) often that can hurt a lot when I have been standing or running around a lot on my heels. I also try to buy real leather shoes (especially for pumps) leather stretches a bit to the shape of your foot. But it's usually also wiser to buy a shoe that is a little too big, rather than a little too small. I always buy half a size larger than my normal (flat size) and that works fine, and to be absolutely sure i don't lose them i often buy shoes with ankle straps.

• 1 month later...

Well, I prefer wearing 4" heels from 8-5 and but sometimes wear 5" the whole day. Higher than that I'll only try for a few hours at most! I do think that the most comfortable height is 4-5" and it also depend on the shoe. I've had 4" heels that killed my feet within hours and still have 5" heels I can wear for 15 hours comfortably!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I usually wear 4" for daily wear. That is comfortable for me. I can go all day in them without any problems at all. I've done 4 1/2 and 5 once in a while if I don't plan on walking a whole lot. Because those will take a toll on me after awhile. But you would very rarely see me wearing anything lower than 4".

• 3 weeks later...

I WEAR 5.5" STILETTOS FOR AT LEAST 12 HOURS A DAY. THIS IS NO PROBLEM. I CAN NOT WEAR ANYTHING LESS THAN 4.5", WHICH IS GREAT :wink: Being 24, I do not want to walk in anything less than 5" stilettos. I am here to please my man in any way I can. He is very happy that I wear my 5.5" stilettos everywhere, and so am I. My co-workers like it also. My feet have not been in anything less than 5" for almost 4 years now , and I can not walk flat footed. I even have special 5" heels that I shower in. Right now the 5.5" hh have won. I hurts to much now to wear anything less than 5"hh. I'll give it 20 years.

• 9 months later...
:roll: Hi all for me on a daily basis is 4 or 4.5" i have tryed 5 and 5.5" but becase i have uk size 3 i find any higher than 5" and my feet curv to much and my sole is visible over the side of the shoes and to me this makes the shoes look as if they dont fit right, so thats me .

shaz

• 3 months later...

Generally, I will wear five inch heels to work with the odd occasion of six inch heels. In Winter, I rarely pass up the opportunity to wear boots with heels as high. I am also starting to learn how to walk in seven inch ballet boots at home for some fun!