It's hell getting old

To paraphrase a quote I read recently:

You don't stop heeling because you get old, you get old because you stop heeling.

Well, I don't know so much about that, but I still maintain that it's not the age so much as the mileage that gets us.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's so interesting about stopping/cutting down on heeling because of age is this: Women over, say, 35 grew up/were alive to see the wearing of men's heels as a style. Younger women were not, and I'm sure their fathers who wore heels because of Ziggy Bowie/Slade/Whatever in the 1970s or in the 1980s because of Twisted Sister/et al are busy denying they ever did.

"To kiss, pretty Saki, thy shoes' pretty tips, is better than kissing another girl's lips." -Omar Khayyam

What's so interesting about stopping/cutting down on heeling because of age is this: Women over, say, 35 grew up/were alive to see the wearing of men's heels as a style. Younger women were not, and I'm sure their fathers who wore heels because of Ziggy Bowie/Slade/Whatever in the 1970s or in the 1980s because of Twisted Sister/et al are busy denying they ever did.

Isn't the Nile a river in Egypt?:wink:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Isn't the Nile a river in Egypt?:wink:

I think it's a long slender metallic object that's usually hammered into wood by Australians...

We Yanks call it a "nale."

Regardless, while I rarely paint my nails, they do tend to hold the shingles down, so I'll not complain!

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I can see it's nothing to do with age or mileage, its just who you are, and what you've got going for you out of the gene soup. I'm 55 and have spent the last 25 years walking round mountainous Nepal (working, I'll have you know!), and going off to run marathons in my spare time. I still run regularly and stumble in high heels no more than I stumble in flats (but I'm half crippled at the moment after crashing a bare foot into a door during a power cut.)

The thing I worry about is the body starting to seriously limit one's options in life. This was brought home to me just today; the whole of the south of Nepal is paralysed by disturbance at the moment, just at the time I need to do a building inspection there. As no traffic is on the roads I reckoned I could fly down and walk the 50km or so to the site, even take my bike and do it much quicker - but with this foot I'm stuck in Kathmandu. But, it's only temporary; it will heal and I will heel. When the time comes that it doesn't heal thats when I'll finally get old.

We need a smiley for crippled!

Hobble on . . .

It's a Ford Sierra, not exactly a low slung sports car. The only way to go from here is a Range-Rover type of vehicle! :D

Dr Shoe,

Don't even think about it!

It's a long way to fall from one of those things!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lovely lot of replies to this thread. At SEVENTY TWO, I still wear any of my heels up to and including mt 5 inch whites.

I have never even seen 6 inch let alone try to walk in them. I still dream of that though.

I still love going into the shops and browsing.

Muddypaws

:wink:

"I sure do like the look of my new glasses; my new dentures fit just fine; My back and knees don't hurt too much; but I sure do miss my mind." :D

Well, the artic air finally got here. Thankfully, I seem to be running better than my car, at the moment. But then, everything is relative. :wink:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Hey Muddypaws: You give me something to look froward to: I am 55 and love wearing my heels and hose everyday after work. I love buying new heels and trying them on for the 1st time. Makes me real H..... Bernheels

I think it's a long slender metallic object that's usually hammered into wood by Australians...

We Yanks call it a "nale."

Regardless, while I rarely paint my nails, they do tend to hold the shingles down, so I'll not complain!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

real men wear heels

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy Designer, And welcome to the forum:welcome: :smile:. BTW, thanks for saving this thread from dying of old age. Now about that cryptic mssg. you left, I'm still working on it :o but so far I'm still unable to decypher it. ;) Would you care to give us a clue?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

About getting older being Hell---? Having a heart attack and two surgeries in 4 months time sure is a wake-up call for me.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Well, your report seems to confirm the old saying that old age ain't for sissies.;) I'll add you onto my prayer list, since I'm assuming that all of this is recent? Good luck to you.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Yesterday, drove into work. Felt fine, no problems. I open the car door. Feel something rip in my arm and my elbow has been sore since. Can barely move my arm and have no strength to pick up anything. OPENING A CAR DOOR!

What's next?

Breaking my hip getting out of bed?

Breaking my wrist using the microwave?

Thankfully my legs and ankles are fine (looking for a piece of wood to know.....maybe better not, might injure my knuckles ;) )

Scotty

oh please, we dont do ol ol ol no i cant even spell it, we had a previous life now we're stickin at 18 til we die like bryan adams so pls do the same!! Went to a Shadows concert and thought why r all these old people here then i thought oh fk! We dont do hair of the wrong colour and we dont do anoraks jackets or cords so nor shoud u!!

oh please, we dont do ol ol ol no i cant even spell it, we had a previous life now we're stickin at 18 til we die like bryan adams so pls do the same!! Went to a Shadows concert and thought why r all these old people here then i thought oh fk! We dont do hair of the wrong colour and we dont do anoraks jackets or cords so nor shoud u!!

What did he say?;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

That's for sure.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Ther's no end to it.

Molly-coddling ourselves is not the answer. We just gotta acksept that we don't work like we used to.;):o

Muddypaws

ps. We went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang last night-the stage show. very Good. The children enjoyed it too!:P

Why do my smilies only show words now?:smile:

I just found my smilies..--Hooray!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, your report seems to confirm the old saying that old age ain't for sissies.;)...

Yer right, I keep finding myself referring to my army training - keep going and ignore the pain (although it's gettin a lot harder to ignore) and hope that it's downhill after I make the crest of that next ridge. (Actually, it's all been pretty much down hill for the last 5 or 6 years, now that I think about it.) :o

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 weeks later...

So long as you keep the rest of you looking good, viz hair and clothes, then you will keep young forever. Think young and you will be... Went to see the Shadows with my ex and thought why are all these old people here, then thought oh fk!! They're the same age as I could be... Never again, even though Hank and the boys played a blinding set...

So long as you keep the rest of you looking good, viz hair and clothes, then you will keep young forever. Think young and you will be...

Went to see the Shadows with my ex and thought why are all these old people here, then thought oh fk!! They're the same age as I could be...

Never again, even though Hank and the boys played a blinding set...

Well, maybe some of you young squirts (I use the term advisedly) are greatly concerned about your looks, but when you get to my stage of life I think you'll find that there are some much more important issues that concern you - like being able to get into and out of a car without hurting yourself or needing a painkiller afterwards :o. I'll leave the the really hazardous areas - like getting into or out of a bathtub - alone for now.

I think it's amazing how just a few years can change one's whole perspective on things, not to mention priorities.;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

ok point taken, ive luckily never been seroiusly ill and am hoping a positive attitude will keep it away for a bit longer, only frighten myself when i think what age i really am meant to be; don't do anoraks and tweeds and bowls thangyou, save that for old people, plenty of time later for that, keep being 18 as long as we can....

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I had to go to to the hospital for a bone biopsy yesterday. It's been a literal pain in the a** ever since. :smile: My meds ain't been helping much so I decided to try burgundy instead.:wavey: It still hasn't abated the pain, but at least I don't care so much anymore.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Enflamed a tendon laying a new hardwood floor in my dinging room last month. Cannot wear heels even briefly around the house. Getting better but remember when I coud do stuff like that with no after effect. Can (still) hike 20+ miles with no problem but...

classic style high heel boots

That's dining room, not "dinging" room. Guess my ability for typos is not effected by age! Heels so sound nice on the hardwood instead of the carpet it replaced.

Hey man, stuff happens! I just got back from another hospital secession myself. :wavey: I think the emoticons tell the whole story. :smile:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels