Boot Repair

Hi All,

I am looking for someone in the USA that can fix a pair of boots. I got them off Ebay last year and they are made by Skechers. They are my favorite boots and I wear them pretty much ALL the time in the winter. The problem is that one of them has started tearing pretty bad in the front of the boot. The other probably could use the zipper replaced.

I've taken them to a local repair shop last year and the guy didn't do a great job of fixing them. I've tried to self repair them with a leather repair kit, but they don't look that great and it just flaked off.

Anyway, I would love to get another pair but can't find any anywhere (checked ebay, online, etc). Would anyone out there be willing to take these on, even if we had to do major "rebuilding" of them? The soles are in excellent shape. I am pretty much willing to almost have these remade since I can't find a pair like them anywhere.

PM me if your interested. Obviously I need someone qualified in the shoe repair business.

Thanks,

Scotty

Posted Image

I think I will try taking them to a different repair shop. The ones I took them too in the mall were not that great. Oddly enough, I was going to wear my new Steve Madden boots this weekend and the zipper broke on them (I think it was defective when I got them, bought them MONTHS ago on Ebay and never really looked that close at them, my fault). Anyway, I will take both pair in to get fixed. If they aren't able to fix them or do a hack job, I will take pictures and get your advice. Scotty

Scotty,

could you take a closer picture of the damage?

you could send directly to my email, and I could see it better.

It looks like it might not be leather, Dr Shoe mentioned a trick we use sometimes with both leather, or viny to disguise the defect, not to entirely cover it.

When I see the picture, I could tell you more.

Most of the shoe repair places who are in Malls, have high overhead to deal with, so they depend on repairs that they can do while customers are shopping...that means they don't want to do "junk" jobs, so that is one reason you may not get a good answer. (also some grumpy old men don't like seeing vinyl shoes, because it reminds them that the current shoe repair climate is not what they like to see.-vinyl shoes)

Gene@hartlandshoes.us

Hi Gene,

Here are some pictures I tried to take this morning. Not sure if your able to tell much from them. I did try to use a leather repair kit on them, but I think I might have made it worse (not sure if they can clean that stuff off of them first).

Scotty

Front view of boot.

Posted Image

Next 3 pics are of the larger damage on the left side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The last pic is the damage on the right side.

Posted Image

What I would do is to put a piece of leather (or vinyl) over it and perhaps make a bit of a feature of it. Maybe a contrasting colour without forgetting to do exactly the same with the other boot.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

What I would do is to put a piece of leather (or vinyl) over it and perhaps make a bit of a feature of it. Maybe a contrasting colour without forgetting to do exactly the same with the other boot.

Great minds think alike. I was considering doing the same thing as well, except using the same color black.

• 4 weeks later...

On a different pair of boots, I had the seen rip (on both pair) just over the back of the heel on the side. I tried to sew it back together put a few days later it ripped again. This time I tried to superglue it but it ripped again later in the evening. This time, I found some black duct tape and taped it inside and outside over the rip. It seemed to hold for the entire day, but I had concerns of the duct tape slowly pealing off. I then came up with an idea. I have this brush on superglue which is alot easier to apply. I first used black magic marker to cover the edges of the duct tape so the tape was less obvious. I then brushed superglue over the edges of the duct tape. So far it appears to be fine, and since my pant leg seems to cover the tape, I don't see any problems with it showing. My question is, do you think the same thing might work on the tear on the boots above? Also, do you think the brushing superglue over the edges of the duct tape will work permanent or am I just asking for more problems down the road? Thanks, Scotty

Are you sure these are leather? the way the scratches look, it looks like vinyl to me, because vinyl creases , like tin metal, creases with flexing... If it were leather it would crack more. It also looks like a flex point, The only thing I might suggest, is if I were to do something, I would take the boot apart at thoses seams, sew a new piece of leather the shape of the vamp, (like making another line...wide enough to cover the damage, and then sew back together //\\, if that makes any sense?) I did that with a pair of snake skin cowboy boots, that were cracked right there in the front of the vamp ^ , I put a piece of leather that matched behind the vamp, like a cuff, because his instep was really high and stretching couldn't do the job.

Are you sure these are leather?

the way the scratches look, it looks like vinyl to me, because vinyl creases , like tin metal, creases with flexing... If it were leather it would crack more. It also looks like a flex point, The only thing I might suggest, is if I were to do something, I would take the boot apart at thoses seams, sew a new piece of leather the shape of the vamp, (like making another line...wide enough to cover the damage, and then sew back together //\\,

if that makes any sense?)

I did that with a pair of snake skin cowboy boots, that were cracked right there in the front of the vamp ^ , I put a piece of leather that matched behind the vamp, like a cuff, because his instep was really high and stretching couldn't do the job.

If I mailed you the boots, would you be willing to do that? How much would you charge to make the repair?

Thank you, one cool thing about this business, is, you gotta keep t hinking. it is dissapointing at times to see cheap shoes and boots and alot of them are harder to repair than before.. the more expensive shoes seem to be easier to repair, due to better construction. I have a cheap pair of boots in the shop that the shank was broken, and it was a bear to take apart, because the inside construction is terrible. the leather wanted to tear like a postage stamp around the edges. I have to do alot more repairs than expected. (free of course!)

• 1 month later...

hi, could somebody help me, i got a pair of burgundy knee highs that im due to start wearing out on the street. BUT my problem is the wedge heel unit is coming away from the inner edge of the heel but the cobblers will not touch them. any ideas for my situation any help would be very handy cheers kinheels

Get you hands on a tube of "Barge" cement. This is a fairly standard shoemakers glue and you should be able to find it online. Follow the instructions exactly as it is a contact cement.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

hi shafted thanks for the advice, i tried a few shops that do repairs and they said it wouldnt be worth it. like he would know hey lol maybe get the boots repaired and get some pictures on here for all to see. i will let you know how i get on with the fix. kinheels

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all just a quick message to say that i finally got round to fixing the boots, i tried them today after fixing them yesterday, all seems to be good at the moment, but the big test is going to be next week when i go out street heeling in them, cheers kinheels

• 1 month later...

Sorry, for some reason, I can't get the Instant Message or Private message to work for me, that is why I mentioned to you to e-mail or call me, Because of Kidney problems, I haven't been on the website for a couple of months... If you are still in the hunt for an answer, let me know by email or phone. Sorry for any inconvenience I have caused you! email hartlandshoes at yahoo dot com