Platforms

Debbie(HK)

All the women that I have dated have been shorter than I, being that I am 6'6" tall ! Platform shoes help make up the difference in height. I like the sexy thin heel platforms the best, but they have to have a tall instep to look sexy ! Not all platform shoes are sexy, some look pretty ugly !

• 3 months later...

Hi all I have never been to any other part of the world.. but i can tell you that here in NYC platforms are still being worn,.. actually for about 2 summers or more.. Not as much this summer as the last 2.. But i still see them mostly in the wintertime..women here like to be in style and i guess that is whats they are wearing. Even when i go clubbing thats what i see...I have not seen a classic pump with even a 3 or 4"stilletto heel in a long time..just my 2 cents..but me? I love both!!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

about what some one posted before about not all platforms being "nice" looking, I agree, look at those horrible red platform pumps on jenny's picture page, however I l also agree that platforms can look good; have alook at the model on Sunset strip Shoes' website (if you can get past the annoying password!) for those people interested, here it is www.sunsetstripshoes.com byw I am NOT affiliated with Sunsetstrip Shoes in any way, shape or form, But I will be buying a pair of their "7.5 Dream" boots (from another supplier, Reactor Rubberwear Australia - www.reactor.net.au for Au $375.

ps. sorry for the long post

TXT-1

I'm only 5' 6" (167.6 cm) tall barefoot. I guess I should throw myself from a bridge?!! I personally wouldn't care if my wife was taller than me. Many attribute physical and inner strength directly to physical height alone. It's not so simple. I've known many tall cowards. Another thing to consider is that 5" stiletto heels probably don't add any more height than 3 1/2" platforms do. The angle of the foot in the footwear matters. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Hi, this is my first post. I hate joining these things late because I have to go through 5 pages of material :smile: I chose this topic first because platforms have been a pet peeve of mine since they started reappearing in the 90s (?). I don't find plats sexy at all, despite some of them having thin heels. But then I'm pretty picky about the shoes I like to see women wearing. I love everything to do with women's legs so obviously shoes play a huge part. My personal fav is a classic pump, 3"-4" narrow heel (75mm-100mm for you metric types), plain leather, no adornments, a pointy toe, but not too pointy. The kind of shoes you'd wear to the office with a business suit maybe. Based on what I've read so far, this shoe would be pretty boring to a lot of people here, but I'm ok with that. I think I was influenced from growing up in the 80s when stiletto pumps were everywhere. So hello to all and a special greeting going out to Debbie, Inga, Laurie and the rest of the anti-plat crowd. :-) Oh and one more thing, I agree with RonC way back on page 2 - the platform saturation in the adult entertainment biz has ruined it for me too. :grin:

Hi, me again. I just submitted a shop that sells classic pumps and only classic pumps, if anyone else is interested in my favourite shoe style. They only go up to 4" heels though, so some of you might think they're pretty tame. :smile:

Darkstar, it's nice to have support. However, platforms are a touchy subject, so we will just have to smile and say it is okay for other people to wear them and like them. Not us, though. :smile: Liking what you consider tame is not bad, the shoes sound very nice. I prefer nothing under 4" myself, and would love to spend every day at 5", but I need more shoes for that, I guess. Soon.... :grin: Welcome, and enjoy, and join in, and remember, personal expression is most welcome here. Stiletto heels rule, platforms are, for other people. Let's just be nice and leave it there.

If some one said that they did not think that S#$t could be stacked that high, I can say let me add at least another 2" on top of that!!! :smile:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Laurieheels, as a guy (and a member of the "platforms are cool" brigade) :grin: I don't have time to get used to anything higher than 4.5 (without platforms) because anything higher than the afforementioned heel hight (without platform) would be a real pain in the backside as I am a lazy kind of person, and if that makes me a "cheater" so be it, I just want to be able to wear flats later. :smile:

...Cheating. Hmmmm

At fetishwear sites, such as trashy.com, I can find 5" heel boots with no platforms, or 5" heel boots with 1-1/2" platforms.

As it happens, I like shoes and boots with 1/2" to 3/4" platforms because it makes for a more rigid, and therfore more stable, sole/heel transition area. At 240lbs, I need all the help I can get. If I were a more modest, say, 160lbs (we can dream, can't we?) I wouldn't need the stability as much.

That said, I have found that it is impossible to find shoes or boots in size 12 or 13 that have a modest platform with an effective heel height greater than 3-1/2". I would at least like the experience of wearing a 4-1/2" to 5-1/2" heel boot with stability, but it isn't likely to happen anytime soon. :grin::grin:

As for myself, I'm NOT trying to "cheat", but apparently the shoe designers ARE, otherwise they would design truly HIGH heel footwear with just enough plat to provide stability for us fatso's out there! :smile: :drinking: (And no, I don't drink--I just like the animation)

While living in a very small, very Mormon, town in eastern Nevada several years ago, I took a great deal of pleasure at ribbing my fellow hypocrites with a bumper sticker that read Eat, Drink, And Be Merry, For Tomorrow You May Be In UTAH! :grin::grin::o

And now I find myself LIVING (if you can call it that) in that self-same state. Must be God's sense of humor working overtime. There are about 3X the number of law enforcement personnel here in St. George per capita than in Las Vegas, 120 miles away, with about 1/10 the crime. Which makes it one of the most popular retirement sites in North America (it couldn't possibly be the HEAT!). And what is the number one crime that results in arrests?? Teenage underage drinking!

Let's see, Utah has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in the US, and the highest teenage suicide rate, and all my fellow Mormons rant and rave about what wonderful family values we have, and what a wonderful place Utah is in which to raise a family...

&%$@#! Sorry, soapbox just got zapped by lightning. :grin:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Hi Laurie, I hear ya. I didn't mean to put down anybody that likes plats, just saying they're not my thing. So no offense to anybody in the stilt crowd. To each his/her own, I say. (hell, you should hear some of the music I listen to) :smile: On the other hand, if anyone in here likes Birkenstocks, well, I'm sorry but I have to draw the line somewhere... :grin: ty for the welcome

(Tisk) Oh dear look what I started...... :smile::grin: Hehe

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

On the other hand, if anyone in here likes Birkenstocks, well, I'm sorry but I have to draw the line somewhere... :grin:

Agree, can't take Birkenstocks...

But I did finally break down and buy a pair of men's Chaco toe-loop hiking sandals the other day!

I was wearing my LEI toe loop clogs today Posted Image and a fellow computer geek, thinking they were my Chaco's, asked me where he could get HIS soles raised like that!! :smile:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just have to check in. Platforms are the ugliest thing going. Once had a teacher that had a short leg, and she wore a built up shoe. In the US, I think they call it club foot. It was hideous then, and the platforms now only remind me of that ugly, built up shoe for club foot. So girls (and guys) if you like looking like you have club foot, then, by all means, keep wearing your platforms. Me, I'll stick with thin soles, and continue to worship my hero, Laurie, from afar!

I think that a small platform can enhance the look of a shoe. Something like half an inch or so, perhaps. But anything much more than that looks out of proportion, and ugly. I've got a pair of 'Son of SQ' big platforms that I bought for the 7" heels, but I don't wear them often, as I'm not so keen on the platforms any more.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I think from an artistic point of view, platforms, especially the exagerated ones with spike heels, make interesting photographs, but I have to confess that as a personal preference I am glad they are on the way out as we have had them, and chunky heels for too long now. On the other hand I don't mind a small platform if the shoe/sandal/boot still looks feminine and not too clumpy. I am glad stilettos are back in fashion as they are more feminine and more flattering to the feet and legs and I hope they stay around as long as the platforms have done or longer. Julietta xx PS I am an Aquarian and what I say today could easily change tomorrow LOL

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

I like my plats (6" round shank stilletto heel and 2" platform, (black "Q" strap sandals) look in the "everyone" forum under "TXT-1's new platform sandals" but even now their popularity has declined a little because they aren't as fun as they were when I got them probably because my balance when wearing them is so good i could probably wear them out of the house but since I have quite a few people I know around where I live in other words my confidence (in heels) sucks but even I can see that the popularity of plats is waning but i'd prever my plats to the "new" stilletos' as the heel look like it could come off at any time. but I think that Sunset Strip and the other platform shoe manufacturers will still make plats in limited numbers to exotic dancers, sex workers, cross dressers etc. sorry about the rant. later, TXT-1

• 4 months later...

for you, they might rule, but for me, they are cheating. :wink:

Cheater cheater cheater, nya nya, na na na na boo booooooo

:D

I agree, Laurie.

Too often plats are abused to make the highest heels possible, as if heel height alone is the holy grail when it comes to heels...

When used for this purpose, plats areugly and they look cheap.

Every time I see a pair, I wonder how they would look without them. Usually better.

Sometimes platforms do look good, but they are never an excuse to make higher heels.

GRRRR. I'll try this again. It seems to have vanished on the first try. Of course platforms are used to make the heels higher! They can improve the proportional look of the shoes if they aren't too extreme. When is a platform a platform? Any molded unit is sometimes called a platform, even though the sole may be 1/2 in. thick or less. The most popular ones are 1 1/2 to 2 in. thick, with heels 6 to 6 1/2 in. high at the back. The heels do not seem to vary in height with the shoe size. The wife's heels are the same height at size 9 as mine are at size 13 (US women's). I don't get to experience the same heel height sensation as she does as a result. :wink: But, the platforms make the proportion of heel height to length more attractive for the large sizes, in my opinion. I'm sure Babe and TXT-1 can testify to the comfort of platform heels, even if the platform height can make them more treacherous on uneven terrain.

Yes BobHH, my plats are EXTREMELY comfortable, it took me 4 hours yes 4 HOURS to get used to them and they are as stable as 4 inch chunky heels! can't say how stable the 7.5 inch heel/3.5 inch plats are but to me the 8 inchheel 4 inch plats, They are OTT (wouldn't mind trying them in a shop though!)Later, TXT-1