Platforms

Debbie(HK)

On 2002-02-21 05:37, Laurieheels wrote:

Terayon, are you named after the modem? I should suspect you are a Rogers customer? Maybe...

And the girls at your school are all mindless sheep if they are into the fashion trends. Don't date any of them, find the gothy one who goes against the trend. She'll be the most fun. That was me in high school, so trust me on this one.

Its not that they are slaves to style...i think it looks really good, and im sure they do too..i have a good friend who wears the platform chunky boots and just loves them cause they look amazing on her...but your right...being unique is a good quality to have =)

• 2 weeks later...

The anti-platform contingent is getting pretty bold and cranky!!! In defense of glorious platforms, I'll give my rationale here. I think the thin, slender heels and soles look good on thin, slender people. Some of us, via good old genetic roulette, aren't so svelte and trim that we look good in thin, slender styles. I like the way platforms harmonize with my short neck and bulkier shape. Of course, I've seen some interesting violations of this theory of mine. Lots of very skinny young girls love to put on the biggest, scariest boots. And some fairly overweight men and women insist on wearing the sleekest shoe possible. I think that these are poor style choices, but let fashion freedom prevail. It's not yet a crime to violate fashion canons (except in certain Islamic republics, sadly), so ride high on the heels of your choice.

i think that any heel is good..i personally preffer block heels with a moderate platform (1-2inches?)...but that doesnt mean i hate stilletos, fashion changes quickly...theres no *right* type of heel...i think its up to the person wearing the shoe to decide what they like...not what people around them want to see

Terrayon, thats the right attitude, I wish more people your age were thinking like that. Keep us posted as to your progress at home, if any. Courage, Highluc

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Hiya Platform_dude, Whilst I hate platforms, I'm probably providing a narrow view, given I'm fairly tall for a lady 5' 9" and fairly slender so I wear clothing that looks good on me, that means never platforms. Anyhow, they only suit a minority and are not classic fashion which stiletto's are. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I know you don't like plats but what has you being 5' 9" have to do with any thing with wearing plats? I wish more women who are tall wore high heels with or with out plats. I mean is there a rule that tall people can't be taller? :???: What if they look good? <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-16 00:50 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Hoverfly, Just agreeing with Platform_dude who wrote: "I think the thin, slender heels and soles look good on thin, slender people." Pretty much sums up me. Oh and you wrote: "I mean is there a rule that tall people can't be taller?" Sort of stange when the lowest heel I wear is 4 inch and am generally in 5 inch, that makes me 6' 2" in heels and I would'nt want it any different. Inga :smile:

Anyhow, they only suit a minority and are not classic fashion which stiletto's are.

hmm, I seem to recall pictures of platform shoes from as early as the 18th century, whereas stilettos appeared around the 50s... how do you define classic?

Hi Inga and Debbie. I think the platform is popular among young girls because they think that it gives more stability and some platforms are rather flat on the sole even though the platform is about 4 inches high which gives height elevation. However, I find platforms difficult to tackle too... what's more... they are ugly looking. So why settle for something that is equally challenging but hideous in appearance ? :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nata on 2002-03-17 13:51 ]</font>

Cheers,

Nata

On 2002-03-16 09:03, Trolldeg wrote:

hmm, I seem to recall pictures of platform shoes from as early as the 18th century, whereas stilettos appeared around the 50s... how do you define classic?

Classic is defined by what sticks out in a sense of social memory. Not many people know about 18th century footwear, but in our media savvy society, we all know everything from 1940 and on, it seems. Maybe even as far back as 1900. Why? newspapers, radios, movies, television, and now, internet. Classic cars, many people think cars from the 1950 and think of watching Greece or American Graffiti. More people look for a 70s muscle car than a Model T. Why? Image.

So when people mention high heels, society in general thinks of the stiletto, and we all remember the higher heels of pinup girls in the 40s and 50s. Not many of us know about Early Modern Society and the fashions of the time.

So classic is what we associate with a term as a collective.

Okay, that was long, but I think it promotes the idea. After all, classic rock is usuall music from the mid 60s to late 70s, but rock and roll existed before that time and after. So again, society's concept of a term, and a term defined to suit society.

The one above is form me...dang did it again. Ok the last one on page 4 is from me. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-18 07:42 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

But you're a tall guy and I'm a tall gal, on average I'm looking down on most guy's too. It's quite a nice feeling, think Laurie might do a bit of the same as she's around 5' 8" ("get to know each other" topic). Inga :smile:

Looking down is one thing...Kissing my wife is another. She is sopose to be 5'7" but she has a crooked back so she is around 5'4". :smile: Any way, I loved how one auther in a fashion mag recomened tall women should just tower with what ever heel hight they wanted and/or look good in.

You're quite right, Inga, I do know the feeling. I have seen some good looking men, great personalities, but I like tall men, and they are always short. Tall men are always taken. And now that my days are five inches taller, roughly, this is not going to get any easier. Sometimes I serve the customers who come in to deal with their accounts, and ther ewas one a bit flirty, much personality, and while he was cute, not really for me at all, and I was flattered, sure, but I felt like standing up. It would have silenced him in a second, I am sure. And these quotes about towering, well I do enjoy it. But I really need a Viking of a man to compliment my style. I know, have my Mum move back to Denmark and take me with her...

Tall dark and handsome I am. Sorry as some as you know I am taken. :smile: You think tall men are in short supply? I see it as tall women are in short supply. I see quite a few tall men every day, but as for women? I guess my definition of a tall women make them scarce. That's why I like plats!! They make up the diffrence in hight!!! B) <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-19 05:57 ]</font>

I always liked tall girls, maybe it's because it would be easier for me to find an excuse always wearing heels. I don't know why, but I twice ended up marying small wifes.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

HaHa...is it? B) However there are some pro and con's for tall girls. They normally don't wear heels except for a few. But, certainly you can easily see normal height girls wearing heels much more than tall girls. So, now do you prefer tall or short girls? :smile:

My ideal women for me would be 2" to 3" sorter than me bare foot of course. Then they can wear heels and not over power me to much in height. Oh well, I can dream.....Mmmmmmmmmmmm... Any way this reminds me of a time when I was around 20/21 years old finishing up going to Tech school. I was renting a room, and the owners son came over one time to visit with his wife in the middle of the summer. Now his wife was a very pretty blond with shoulder length curly hair, and she was very open with people. I forgot her name but we were talking out side, and some where along the line we talking about people of different heights in a relationship. I asked her how did her husband felt since she was a tall person, and her husband was a little on the short side compared to her. She said with a hint of glee in her voice. "My husband doesn’t mind at all. Especially when I wear high heels. He said he loves it that he can bury his face in my chest when we are dancing!!!" :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-19 19:39 ]</font>

Hi Melissa, in reply of yours a few post ago, I sincerely usually fall for tall girls and their heels have nothing to do with it because they usually wear flats anyway. I just like the way a nice tall girl looks and I just like to wear the heels myself, no connections at all between both things.