Platforms

Debbie(HK)

I realy don't know. Maybe the extra instability they provide? I have a couple pairs with platforms myself, but not much. There are some styles I like. All a matter of personal tast I think. My favorites are the good old pump (when talking stils) and blade/block heels.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

I don't really like large platforms generally. It's been said before, but a small plat up to an inch can help the styling at the instep producing a more vertical look. The extra 3/4" on the heel makes that look much higher as well, so used in the right way a plat is OK. When you get up to 2 or 3 inch plats that's when I don't like them. They don't contribute to the styling, they are just clumpy.

I only have one pair of boots that have a big platform (2.5 inch) and three pairs that have 1 inch platforms. I have stopped getting any more with platforms as I find I don't wear them very much. My platforms are mainly for show and for charity collections. While their minds beggar belief at what you're wearing or they're too busy laughing, they're not counting how much they put in :smile: I don't find platforms any more unstable than standard soles and the ground round my way isn't exactly flat. Even the garden slopes downhill slightly! My gold pair have yet to go for public outing as they no tread on the soles whatsoever. Even on carpet, you skating B)

I know exactly how you feel. But they do have a place, especially in the fetish clubs. For general wear they are totally impractical and do look ugly and makes the person wearing look even more idiotic. Who in their right mind would wear them on the street. It's bad trying to wear them on a flat surface, introduce them to a pavement and they're a death trap

I, too, like platforms for the stability they provide. I just bought a pair of Demonia Ranger boots with a 3.5" heel and probably a 2.5-3" sole, so they're almost flat when it comes to incline, but they have a lot of toe-room, so I love 'em already! SQ

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I like some platforms, but do not really like ones combined with a huge clunky heel, or ones where the lift is only about an inch, they look silly IMHO. My favorite has to be a half / three quarter inch platform with a nice slim heel and a good lift. Anybody else noticed how long the platform has been in fashion this time around? I have some old fashion mags from 1993/1994 and they were showing model wearing them there. Here we are 8 years on and they are still in fashion, thats quite a long time in fashion terms. If my memory serves me correctly when platforms were in fashion in the 70's they were probably only around for 4 or 5 years. I have very fond memories of the girls at school wearing some extremely high ones. I think that is one of the things which got my interest in shoes started, and now look where it's got me!

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Platforms? Talk about awkward! We could all wear ankle weight and get some exercise. Oh wait, this designer says he can just build a heavy platform onto the shoe, increasing the mass and thus allowing for more exercise. I think platforms were invented for very short people who somehow felt shame, but could not master the incline of a high heeled shoe. So let's just jack em and stack em! Being short is no reason for shame. You are who you are, so wear normal shoes and be proud. Even a half inch platform seems a bit ugly to me. After all, it is the actual change in the foot's shape that creates the nice curves that make we walk with that wiggle. Why would I wish to lessen this? If we all wore heels for the sole purpose of being taller, then platforms would be fine. I suspect we all wear them because we like them and what they do for us overall, not just the height.

I agree with Deb, I might have expressed my opinion before, here it is again - platforms urggggghhhh! They're only for the 'jack em and stack em' brigade as so quaintly referred to by Laurie. Also they lack class! Inga

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Being on the small side, only 1m70, and 20 years old when the 70's platform rage (even for men) started, got me focussed on this style early. I didn't like to feel like a lilliput besides all those girls wearing their platforms when slow dancing.

I don't understand people talking about the instability of plats. For me platforms make shoes more stable. The inherent increased rigidness of the soles and feet being kept in one position makes walking a lot easier as on flexible thin soles. Even with very high insteps I never had problems on the ball of my feet in platforms, while on thin soles the continuous flex at that part of the shoe sometimes causes heat spots on my feet.

A platform also can be shaped with upward curves in the front and back of the soles making walking a lot easier and less tiring. I find it important to have lightweight platforms and regret real cork is difficult to find lately.

After wearing platforms since more than 30 years I can assure you I never hurt myself or turned an ankle (and there are lots of cobblestones in Belgium).

I don't care about the looks and I'm happy I can still find new plats this decade. When I know I have to walk long distances (heel meetings shopping etc) I mostly opt for platform wedgies and have a good collection of them as can be seen on my website.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Highluc on http://walk.to/highluc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Highluc on 2002-01-20 09:17 ]</font>

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

evidently, some people have mastered how to walk in platforms, like Highluc, but the majority of people that wear them these days don't bother to train or adjust themselves to the new position or tactile responses needed. Hence, lots of people end up falling off them. The main crux of this debate is the really high platforms. Everyone has their preference whether they like platforms and to what degree. I do own a few pairs of platforms, most with 1.5" of elevated sole and one pair with 2.5". The 1.5" platforms were a doddle seeing as they are not that much to contend with, the 2.5" plats took a little longer. As long as you don't rush it, a person can walk quite easily in them. Anyone who's tried walking on stilts will no doubt be reminded that the feelings between them and plats are fairly similar.

I'm in my devils advocate mood now Debbie :smile: You asked what people saw in them. Well, if someone wanted to be a little taller and they weren't used to the lift of heels, then patforms could be the answer. And many people get something from being taller, not necessarily from heels. Platforms have their own unique feel as well, and some might like that. I still think the thick ones are a fasion nightmare, but then again if you wear or see something enough, you could get used to it, and even end up liking it.

If you like 'em, wear 'em, if you don't, don't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Hello, well the good old platform question - I also tried a high one, with 10" heel and 4" plat, that means that Iv'e almost reached the height auf 7'. But well that was more a just for fun stuff and I quickly lost interest - so I've already sold them at ebay to get some money for new wedge heels :smile: . Today still like plaform, but my favorite is just 1/2" OK 1" is fine too. But i guess at 2" plat would be the highest for me now.... best wishes Joak

The local gentleman's club I go to on occasion, the dancers there always wear platforms. Only once in the past 3 visits I seen a dancer wearing non-platform shoes (Her shoes were 3" black stiletto pumps/courts with ankle straps). They just look bad. At least a few dancers shoe's does have a stiletto heel with their platforms.

I agree with Deb. Platforms are hideous! If you like the look of club foot, I guess there fine! Give me some feminine spike heel pumps or sandals any day. And since when did the sex video industry decide that only platform heels are sexy. I quit renting videos as I can't stand the damn ugly platform shoes.

Quote: Fair point Bob, count me in in the 'don't' category then. Got a few responses though! Amazing how something as apparently simple as footware can illicit such a response!

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

I've seen girls at school wearing horrible black 2-3 inch loafer platforms, and they don't look nice really. To be honest, the only platforms I would buy would be up to around 1 inch, or some of those huge 7 inch heel stiletto 3 inch plat styles, that are kinda like fetish things (like the ones shown below). Of course I'd only buy those for the experience :smile:

Posted Image

SH

AYBABTU

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: squirrelheels on 2002-01-26 02:59 ]</font>

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!