Alterations on the calf size of knee high boot

originog

I finally found a well fitting 4" stiletto knee high boot in size 13, with the exception that the calf is too wide and looks funny. I plan on bringing the boots to a shoe repair place to see what they can do. Has anyone ever taken in the calf a few inches? If so, does it throw off the look of the boot? Thanks

I got a pair with the same problem to. I was thinking about cutting in such a way that I can add laces a tong to make a snug fit. But it all ready has laces along the back side. I don't think any body is going to be able to do it with out charging a horrific price but let me know what happens.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

It is doable but will cost a bit and can spoil the look of the boot but not always. The lace idea is a good one and if it already has them then a competent cobbler should be able to move them. Perhaps the boots are designed to be worn on the outside of the trousers?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The ones I have most certainly, but lets face it I my wear heel out in public but for now I prefer the pants over the boots even though the heel is fully exposed.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I guess the only alternative you have at this point, hoverfly, is to take the boots to a shoemaker and get an estimate on the cost, that is, if he can do the work.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Having the upper part of the shaft gored with a stretch material might be the answer. FYI: Goring is slitting the material of the shaft and inserting an elastic material that will allow the shaft to stretch.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Hi, I'm interested in anyone's expereince of having boots altered (havng the leg 'slimmed' is on my list for my some boots for my wife - all the high street boots are too big). Has anyone found anywhere that does it? If so, roughly how much? Thanks Wez

Admirer of one special lady in high heels.

last winter I had a woman who is Asian, who had matchsticks for legs...

Nice, but STRAIGHT.

Of course, the boots were those stretchy vinyl, and I told her that that stuff doesn't sew very nicely. In a case like that I would pinch the material against her leg, and mark with tape, or white pencil and draw from the top as far down to the point where the leg touches the material again.

In her case I could go almost all the way down to the bottom of the zipper, practically all the way down.

I decided to do something that I have never done before, I took the stitches loose from the zipper, called her, she came and I measured the boot by pulling the material in from the zipper opening....

I sewed one line, and had her come in...It was almost perfect, I only had to pull the material in about 1/2" more toward the zipper bottom

Cutline----\ @@@@@@@ / ----Cut line

@- spacer to keep redlines in place-Just look for the Red # that is zipper

@@\@|#|@/ -the slanted lines are the cut away

@@\@|#| / <the # is the zipper..the | | lines the

@@>\|#| / <original zipper Lines. cut away the

@@>\|#| / <material- material is apart

@@> |#| <I then glue the leather onto the zipper

@@@ |#| tape,then call the customer to see if I

am on the right track. If okay, then I

sew the rest and lining if necessary.

I have done this trick for many other slender legs... it takes some creativity to make the cut line and the stitch line mold into one near the bottom, but that is where the ankle bends, anyway. If you want more shape for the calf, cut the lines accordingly to make the shape you want.

letting a boot out, is alot more difficult, as You have to match the grain of the leather, find out which seam works best, either the back to make a V or a side to add a V. When you match the grain, and if you dye the leather to match, and it slowly fades, the grains will match... If you don't match the grain of the leather, fabric or vinyl, when it ages, the difference will magnify.

Good night everybody!

Hart88:-) After studying your illustrations for a while, it finally became clear in my mind what you had in mind to make the boot shafts fit that Asian ladies legs. I'll bet the boots looked a lot better on her legs after the alterations than before. I'm sure she was well satisfied with the "after look" over the "before look". You really do know your craft. Amazing what you are able to do. Any more stories from your past jobs that could help out the guys? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

One point I want to make clear is I cut the stitches from the top side, not by cutting between the material and the zipper. I figured if I cut the stitches, I could carefully pull the vinyl away from the zipper...It worked. It takes alot of Patience, cutting stitch by stitch, and I had to be careful not to scratch the vinyl material. Leather would be a bit more forgiving, as I could polish the leather to fix minor scratches.

If you cut the zipper tape, or the vinyl material, you could have a disaster.

They say measure twice, cut once. Making the customer return a couple of times is better than having to take it apart two or three times. Repeated cutting, and sewing will leave you open for more mistakes.

So the moral of the story, is be patient. Plan ahead. If you need something for a costume, or event, try thinking a couple of months ahead. It would take the pressure away from the shoe repairer and they will enjoy doing the job more. I know in this day of microwaves, we think we can get what we want immediately...Most people in this business want to do a perfect job, but if you rush them, it might make the job less perfect.

Hart88:-)

After studying your illustrations for a while, it finally became clear in my mind what you had in mind to make the boot shafts fit that Asian ladies legs. I'll bet the boots looked a lot better on her legs after the alterations than before. I'm sure she was well satisfied with the "after look" over the "before look". You really do know your craft. Amazing what you are able to do. Any more stories from your past jobs that could help out the guys?

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Dawn HH,

at the top of the shaft of the boot, the last few stitches, I sewed a bit of a curve, so that the boot top had a bit of shape, not just flat. It gave the boot some shape. Vinyl material is nice to shape, but hard to sew...

Because I had her come back, It gave me more ideas as I was working on the. It was kinda difficult to make the ankle are wrinkle free, but because I had her return, It was fairly simple to reshape the ankle area also. They fit her "like a glove" {with leather that wouldn't be as simple because leather is more bulky}

When I started "back in 1969" Vinyl shoes were just coming into the market. Now they are here in force. Some due to Vegetarians, some do to lower costs of production.