What Happened to This Site?

BobHH

It was gone for a couple of days, at least most of the time. Many of the recent posts vanished, including a long one of mine, and I was unable to post any messages during the moments when I could reach the board without getting text error messages. The profile settings for my avatar vanished, also. I have restored that.

the server hickcaughed :P I think our computer gurus have things under control and, although I don't know if they can restore a lot of the stuffs that was lost , I know they will do their best. Afterall, they are the greatest, aren't they? :P

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

The ISP where our site is hosted had filesystem troubles which corrupted several database tables. They moved the database to another server and all should be Ok now. As you already noticed, there was some dataloss because they had to put back backups of the day before. This al happened on saterday an sunday afaik, so messages posted (or users regsitered) in the weekend might be lost. Sorry for the inconvenience, but there's not much I can do about it. They where actually very fast in solving the problems after I allerted them.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

There were several of us posters that lost postings. Let's hope that there will be no more hic-cups, although we all know that it could happen again sometime. That's what makes life interesting. Right? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

The database is still corrupted. The 'number of replies' shown assumes the lost posts still present. Whenever you get 'No posts exist for this topic' if you click on the link for the last page, this problem is the likely cause. It's a fairly minor inconvenience. Just in case anyone would like to know.

Considering how much we pay for this forum (free), a few lost postings are just a minor inconveniance. Be thankfull we are not charged for upkeep.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

The database is still corrupted. The 'number of replies' shown assumes the lost posts still present.

Whenever you get 'No posts exist for this topic' if you click on the link for the last page, this problem is the likely cause. It's a fairly minor inconvenience.

Just in case anyone would like to know.

I saw that to ,

First off , I can not complain as everyone else says , it is a GREAT site and FREE. I love the (jelousy) look and feel of this place.

The problem is the one to many relationship with the records and record count , that makes it a little more difficult to repair the "count" of records , so instead of writing just a simple update query , youd probably have to do something stupid like create a make table query to get the number of records in each topic into a temporary table

and then write an update query to repair the count ...

something like ...........

first make the temp count table

SELECT Count([message-table].[Topic-Number]) AS CountOfTopic, [message-table].[Topic-Number] INTO [temp-record-count]

FROM [message-table]

GROUP BY [message-table].[Topic-Number];

then use that table in an update query to repair like this ...

UPDATE [message-index] INNER JOIN [temp-record-count] ON [message-index].[Topic-Number] = [temp-record-count].[Topic-Number] SET [message-index].[number-of-messages] = [temp-record-count]!CountOfTopic;

ignor me ...

im just bored stiff tonight and wanted to play ..

Well done, Kiltsrgr8! Perhaps now you can write a short program that Jeff can implement that would permit members to toggle between Oldest and Newest comments, forum wide, like we used to have in a earlier version. A few months ago, before the website was "new and improved" we used to have a box in the upper right hand corner near the "Log in, Log out" box on the masthead that you could toggle to change the order of postings -- from decending to ascending order (oldest/newest first) for the entire forum. When this feature was available, I used to be able to enter a thread read the newest comments first. It saved me a lot of time by not having to start at with the very frist (oldest) item in every thread and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to get to the point where I could toggle the Oldest/newest box in order to skip to the place where I left off from my last visit. Jeff posted the fact that his program for this feature was lost during the switch-over to this version of the website and he hasn't been able to recreate the program.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well done, Kiltsrgr8!

Perhaps now you can write a short program that Jeff can implement that would permit members to toggle between Oldest and Newest comments, forum wide, like we used to have in a earlier version.

Hey thanks Bubba - I was just toying around (as I do sometimes)

I would LOVE to help out if I ever got a chance ...This site is awsome!

edited because I ramble way to much sometimes , I mean really , blaa , blaa , blaa and more blaa .......................I have to learn not to write(talk) so much ... look at me I am still going here ....blaa blaa