Thought about expanding minds inspired by a movie....

ShockQueen

I watched Amêlie the other night here in Denver and had a really interesting thought..... One night, people should go into stores and surreptitiously (sp?) eradicate all evidence of gender in the different departments so that way there is no sign saying "men's" or "women's" or anything like that. or...... Figuring that "women's size" is "men's size" +2, why not put some heels in the "men's" departments in the appropriate places? Maybe this will fire off some synapses and make people think that there is more choice in regards to footwear than people may think! Perhaps people's lives would be enriched by the experience! Yeah...it's wild, but hey...every thought has to start somewhere....

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Careful what you wish for, it may come true. :smile: On a more serious point, the idea would work. Take the boundaries away in the shopping area and the fashions may just take a more natural turn, instead of being force fed the same routine, some will choose to follow their own hearts. Should prove to be rather interesting!

Yeah...can you just imagine those young men going in to check for those boring boat shoes, and instead finding wedge sandals, pumps, and nice boots instead! Their minds might spontaneously combust! *BOOSH!* Then again....maybe they WOULD get a tad curious!

OMG OMG OMG! Amêlie is THE WORST movie EVER! it nearly ruined my trip to vancouver! they showed that piece of SHIT on the airplane....i brought some vcds to watch, but my laptop battery died...i had to sit for 5 damn hours watching that PIECE OF ASS! its french...with NO english subtitles! WORST MOVIE EVER! i say again...WORST MOVIE EVER!

What flight were you on?? When we went to see it here, the film had English subtitles, which made it so those of us who didn't speak French able to understand the movie and the humor within.

Ah! All the more reason to see it now. Once you watch it with subtitles, so you know more of what's going on, it'll make more sense and you'll see how good it really is (granted, it's just my opinion....but I was truly enthralled by it).

I couldn't agree MORE there! If you are going to watch a foreign film, either learn the language or get subtitles! Even in anime, sometimes the dubbing sucks......

id rather stick to good old fashioned english films thank you very much with the possible exceptions of "Tora Tora Tora" and "life is beautiful", and a few other movies, anything that isnt in english, isnt worth hearing/seeing call me close minded all you want....but its the way i think english is the best language in the world...and i know some german and french, so im not just ranting without experience

For me, if I listen to foreign films, it's best in: Chinese or French (live action) Japanese (anime <Japanese animation>) After a while, you get sooooo bored of hearing things ONLY in English.

I prefer listening to French. It is a very flowing language. But, the good thing about English is you can mess it around and it still makes sense so inexperienced speakers can still communicate. With some languages like French it is much more structured and has to be pronounced correctly. It is a beautiful language, but the French are too protective about it, and it will never be a world language for all those reasons. As for films, I haven't seen the one you mention. Francis gave me a copy of Shrek on DVD when I went over to see him and that is a great film. It's only got two shots of decent high heels in it (Where?.... for shrek afficionados) I love the superb animated feel and the music fits really well too.

Well, not that anybody cares but I think that Amélie was one of the best movies that I hace ever seen. It's ofcourse necessary to understand the language, and I'm sure that a lot is lost in translation. The movie must be awful if dubbed in, say, German... I went to see it here, subtitled in Finnish and Swedish, and it happened several times that I was the only one in the theater laughing at a joke since the subtitled translation wasn't funny at all, and it's quite uncommon to know some French at this corner of the universe... :smile: Bert

What's all the fuss about?

for those who wanted to know, but were afraid to ask :smile:

Posted Image

the first was Cinderella as shown by the Magic Mirror

Posted Image

second was in Lord Farquaads bedroom (sorry about the bad quality, I had to use my digital camera on the screen. will update pics when better screen grabs are available :smile:)