what kind of computer(s) do you own?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Windows ME worked fine untill I upgraded to Explorer and Outlook 6. Since then I often have errors in all programs with automatic shutdown and restarts. Quite frustrating when almost finished typing through a long mail answer.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Ouch....I had Explorer and Outlook 6 but went back to 5.5 because I thought was not mature enough and I had issues with it to. I guess I will stay away form it for a while longer. Besides was it more for XP?

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

On 2002-04-09 02:59, hoverfly wrote:

From the sounds of it some people have a lot of problems with Microsoft Windows. I have Windows ME and when I first got it is was all ways crashing. I did three things to get mine to behave better. This of course is for versions before Windows XP. One shut down as many programs as possible that run on start up. Determine the most important ones that need to be running on start up. Just make sure that you don?t shut down the actual operating system. I use msconfig.exe. Two, buy a RAM manager program, mine only cost me $20. It seems Microsoft did not fix the problem with the Windows RAM manger until XP came along. Three, I have Norton's System Works Pro 2001. I use it when my computer starts to slow down or screw up. Since then I have been having blue screens far and few between.

I am always looking for suggestions for improvements, so lets hear them.

Download a Linux distribution and burn it on cd's. Then, format you HD and boot from the first Linux-cd. It's all up-hill from there... :smile: Less (no) crashes for less (no) money, and no extra tools you need to buy to keep your system up and running. It just does this out of the box, as every operation system should do.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff on 2002-04-10 01:04 ]</font>

Greetz, Jeff

---

Two things, One will it run Window programs or do I have to buy new software, like Work Perfect? Second how is it compared for ease of use to Windows?

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

lion, why waste all that money on cisco routers and 3com hubs(GHETTO, packet collisions a plenty, why not splurge for a switch instead?) and make a 100mbit internal network when you have a significant bottleneck at your actual connection to the internet.... i guess i can relate though...i have cisco catalyst 2900 switch for my internal network, and i have a 6mbit cable modem...hehe, and in the summer i spent many hours messing around with the cisco 12000 routers and the foundry BigIron 10gigbit switch that AT&T bought and hasnt used yet (wastefull bastards! we're in a depression and they have 5+million dollars of switching / routing equipment sitting in a room for 6 months!)

Jeez man, USB 100mbit! why waste money on that junk, GHETTO or what? I'm gettting a 2000mbit cable line and gonna route through a 3 COM hub for my network. 480mbs is tops for USB 2.0. If you're downstreaming through a USB, just say "I suck." _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-04-10 22:30 ]</font>

On 2002-04-10 02:59, hoverfly wrote:

Two things, One will it run Window programs or do I have to buy new software, like Work Perfect? Second how is it compared for ease of use to Windows?

There are a couple of tools that offer Windows support one way or the other. I personally use VMWare for the odd windows-application I need. VMWare creates a complete virtual PC under linux in which you can install Windows (or any other OS for that matter).

There's loads of software for linux out there. Most popular packages also have a llinux variant (not nescesarely from the same vendor). Often these programs are open source, which basically means you can use them for free.

As for easy of use, I think Linux with KDE as a desktop environment is as userfriendly as Windows. The added value is that Linux still has the good old commandline for those guru's (like me :smile:) that enables you to do lowlevel stuff and be able to fix things without reinstalling the OS, which I can't say for windowz.

Greetz, Jeff

---

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff on 2002-04-11 00:07 ]</font>

Greetz, Jeff

---

Linux might be an option, but how can I make my USB burner to work with this system? The burner is an HP 8200e. Is USB at all supported? I heard that it might be hard to find working drivers for PC equipment, thats why I havent changed into Linux yet. Tryed once and I had a hard time to save my harddrive after that. Windows doesnt like Linux formatted harddrives.

On 2002-04-10 23:32, Beeblebrox wrote:

Linux might be an option, but how can I make my USB burner to work with this system?

The burner is an HP 8200e.

Is USB at all supported?

A quick search on groups.google.com for "linux HP 8200e usb" shows that this burner should work.

Actualy, usb is quite well supported since kernel 2.4. I use a usb-mouse and my Fuji finepix digital camera under linux on my notebook.

Greetz, Jeff

---

Pants is not the word Francis. There's only one thing I'd say to the likes of you.... <marquee> <h1><font color=purple>GHETTO!!!</font></h1> </marquee> _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-04-11 01:56 ]</font>

Jeff, I might change OS then, which version of Linux contains kernel 2.4, and is it easy to install an setup. I only tryed to install Linux once, I think it was Radhat and that one didnt like me at all. So a user friendly Linux version would be it, since my knowlige is pour according to Linux.

On 2002-04-10 22:44, Anagram wrote:

I don't think that is a valid argument anymore. Unless you are thinking of specific games there ae alternatives or ports of existing applications.

Asside from games, I'm willing to bet that if you name a program that you can use in Windows I can name one that can name on that can be emulated by Wine or another win32 emulator or an existing program that can do the same thing.

3D studio max 4.2

after just recently coming back to windows from running linux as my desktop for about 6 months, i can vouch that the lack of programs is a real problem...i did try WINE, and it is a horrible attempt at a windows emulator, sure...the programs ran, but about 75% of the options did not work in them...for example..i could run mIRC< but i couldnt load any aliases, remotes or anything else..i could run flashFXP, but i couldnt access the site manager, and as soon as i connected to a site it would instantly disconnect me. linux/BSD are great for a server, but they still leave a lot to be desired when it comes to a desktop

Beeblebrox: I'd go with Redhat (currently 7.2) or Suse (currently 8.0). The latter one has the newest version of KDE (3.0). KDE is the desktop environment I prefer. 3.0 will probably also be in Redhat 7.3 when it comes out. I personally use Redhat and haven't used Suse since their 6.3 release so can't comment on that, but it is known to be one of the most userfriendly distributions. Terayon: Why would you want to use mIrc under Linux? Their are loads of Linux IRC clients. People, don't think of linux as a 'better' way to run your windows-apps. Windows does a better job at that, period. On Linux you should run Linux apps. All I'm saying is that for the odd app you can't find a Linux equivalent for, their are several ways to run it anyway without having to reboot-boot to windows. _________________ Greetz, Jeff --- "She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff on 2002-04-11 22:29 ]</font>

Greetz, Jeff

---

Rebooting often? piece of cake, I changed from garden rubber to ankle to thigh high to kneehigh boots today. No problems, just smilies on my face and no blue screens. Instant power up as from 4-inch.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

On 2002-04-11 15:40, Anagram wrote:

[blender: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10146-100-5739198.html?tag=st.dl.10146.unav.0

Untested by me, but that should work. :smile:

thing is, I don't want to have to learn a new program from scratch. I think I'll stick to windows, linux are for the real geeks. I don't use my computer because it's a computer, but because I can create things with it.

I've used Windows 2000 and Windows XP on several different computers, and not had any major problems, unless I do something really stoooopid. I've found Windows 95 a pain and Windows 98 a total and utter mess. I use Windows 2000/XP on my work laptop and my home desktop machines, Red Hat 6.2 on my home laptop, and I'm 28 minutes away from Red Hat 7.1 on my AlphaServer 1000A. Let's just hope the network card works, as I'm running out of swappable hardware. Computers - an excellent substitute for a life :smile:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

computers... let's see what we have around here... 99% of what I do happens on the laptop, which is a Compaq Armada M700, which is a PII-400 with 192 Meg of ram and a 10 gig HD. That one is owned by my employer, and as I got an ADSL to the LAN, the most obvious choice for most things I'm up to. There are 2 problems with this machine: the unreliable hardware (I can't remember how often this thing has been fixed) and the HD encryption. Company policy requires it... The machine runs 98, which is unstable, but I'm not allowed to get any upgrade due to budget constraints. Then I got here also a Celeron 300 with 384 MB of RAM, which I use for scanning and editing digital photos. It runs 98 too, no problems here. The screen is a 20" HP A4033A unix box monitor, which has a trinitron tube and is great to watch. Scanner is a 1200 DPI Mustek. The digital camera is a Samsung Digimax, which is crap but has served well for the last 2.5 years. The printer is a HP laserjet 4M with a PS module and I filled it up with all the RAM it could take, I forgot how much. I brought a new Creative Labs USB webcam from Belgium, as well as a Gigabyte motherboard for a 800 MHz Celeron that has been lying around here for over a year. Going to put that thing in a case soon. Then there is also the 200 MMX machine which I use for burning CDs (Sony 4X only) and it plays printerserver too. The screen on that one is a 17" Nokia 447Xi pro. Also Trinitron, really good stuff. But as I am no longer a technology buff, I spend almost no time on any of these things. The applications that I use most are: Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel, Word, Lotus Notes, SAP, IE and some small junk. All this stuff runs on anything, and is almost solely work related, so... Bert

What's all the fuss about?

Yeah, Linux can be a bit tricky (he said, reinstalling the AlphaServer).

StarOffice is most excellent. Star 5.2 is free, 6.0 is a paid-for product apparently, but OpenOffice (from OpenOffice Org) is free.

If you like what you've got, great. But I'm a geek, so I'm into playing. In fact, I've just acquired a MicroVax 3100/80 :smile:

At the end of the day, it's not like they're shoes or anything :smile:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"