What's the most treacherous landscape to navigate in high he

e

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is the right place for this post.. Ive just had new timber floors laid at my house, and I was reading the "maintenance instructions " last night ""High heel shoes, espcially worn ones, will dent any hard floor surface, even concrete. It is interesting to note that figures supplied by the National Wood Flooring Association of America indicate that an exposed heel spike can exert up to 13,790kPA (2000 ppsi) pressure on the floor when worn by a woman weighing 55kg. (When weight distribution is considered this is more than a two tonne truck or an elephant) """ No wonder floors get marked ! Rog

Roger_au1's citing the tremendous amount of pressure per square inch produced by high heels reminds me of the story I heard when I was transitioning from C-130s to C-141s. That is the problem aircraft designers faced when designing early versions of the Boeing 707. While weight of the floor pannels was the primary design factor, the strength of the metal floor pannels had to be designed so stiletto heels wouldn't puncture them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Perhaps, High Surprise, you might wait and see if your floor 'settles' down in time - I remember a floor which was marked, but near the photocopier it had so much standing the marks were almost invisible as the whole floor got 'compressed'. You might also check whether the heels hurting your floor might be worn to much narrower than the original tip, say just a few mm or fraction of an inch across. It can happen with some.

A slight digression, perhaps, but Channel 4's "Scrapheap Challenge" explained the concept of ground pressure with cute cartoons of an elephant in (four) stiletto heel courts. I watched that one quite closely, I can tell you :wink:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Perhaps, High Surprise, you might wait and see if your floor 'settles' down in time - I remember a floor which was marked, but near the photocopier it had so much standing the marks were almost invisible as the whole floor got 'compressed'. You might also check whether the heels hurting your floor might be worn to much narrower than the original tip, say just a few mm or fraction of an inch across. It can happen with some.

Hi All heel - I think my issue is that because I wear heels so often, the floors just get more and more worn. Many of my heels are also metal tipped and I wear them all outside too. The metal becomes sharper when you wear them outdoors. A sacrifice I am quite happy to make :wink:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I live in a shopping neighbourhood with lots of traffic lights and crossings at all the main roads. At the crossing points all the paving has been replaced right across the footpath by slabs manufactured with protruding studs every few inches. These are intended to indicate the safe crossing points for those with visual impairment. Can't complain about the whole reason for this, but the galls' shoes do tend to have very thin soles and I find it rather irratating walking across these studs. Though one would hardly say this was painful or even 'treacherous'! /I

/I

The volcanic rubble slopes of Mount Etna, The alligator swamps of Florida's Everglades, the north face of the Eiger Mountain, the log-piles being flumed and floated down Canada's lumberjack rivers, The ice-floes North of Hudson Bay, the molten bitumen pools of Iraq, the granite-chippings quarries of Cornwall, and Lodge Street, Central Bristol. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Oh he's a wag isn't he, that Heelfan.... _ The chipping quarries in Cornwall that I have seen are for Gabbro rather than Granite. Gabbro is a basic rock from deeper down and is a more abrasive rock for road surface aggregates; granite is an acidic rock, weathers on exposure and not abrasive enough. It would be slippy if used in crushed aggregate for roads or so my geology guide told me. /I

/I

I stand corrected Ionic! Nay, I humble myself before you, I prostrate myself at your wonderfully-clad feet as the most ignorant of wretches, grovelling (or gravelling!) for your forgiveness as one that did not know his gabbro from his granite! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

OK I asked for that one too.... :(

but we don't need to limit ourselves to educating ourselves about heels, do we ?!?

[yes bubba, the gabbro should be heavier; granite is light and giant globular plumes of it float up from the mantle, e.g. Dartmoor 280million years ago, Bodmin Moor 287mYa etc are huge blobs or plotons of granite].

Try this webby for Cornish geology and archaeology: http://www.colbyweb.co.uk/cornwall/02geology/index.html

/I

/I

• 3 months later...

I hate those new pavements and pedestrian areas with tiny concrete cobbles - I've even sometimes left a shoe behind when it's become stuck, and had tolook as dignified as possible hopping back for it! Gravel is horrible and wrecks the heels. Uneven steps and paths in the dark - I always carry a little torch with me in winter. I live in quite a hilly area, and walking downhill needed the most care when I was getting used to very high shoes, though it's not a problem now. Tarmac can be unpleasant if it is coarse, and that softish floor covering they have in schools gives an unpleasant sensation. It makes you wonder why we bother! That's true addiction!