The best Ballet video clip?

Waisted_Giraffe

Dear all Apologies if this is listed in another thread but; Have just been to ThomasBalletHeelsSeiteClub (Yahoo) where under the "files" section there is a clip, from seemingly a tv program, of the most acomplished ballet walking, outdoors I have ever seen. Needless to say the woman is an ex ballet dancer but none the less, quite simply superb. Enjoy Big D

I taped this too when it was aired in Oct 2002 on German TV (SAT.1). I made it an MPEG1 and it takes 90MB of disk space. Too large to store it on the web. If someone could tell me a good tool to make it MPEG4 then I'd like to post it somewhere. I originally planned to add some English subtitles to it because it's entirely in German (of course). CU! -Mike

It doesn't make any sense to compress video w/ ZIP or RAR. Using them will probably only increase the file size. That's why MPEG1|2|4 was invented. The problem is to encode it using MPEG4 or Divx and a proper audio format. I just got some information on how to set up my tools in order to get an appropriately crunched video. So the 90MB should boil down to 20MB or less or so, depending on the final xy resolution. CU! -Mike

Dear all

Sorry about that, try this as the url for the clip.

http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MF_kQNz69yN4HQDCk4r5co1MIBQ-wZ1ljfejPCZ0aC4pg5dvQXC03tPfB3nukxJFI84jgBQIYkVVwesksSqtwHRzx3uCUYpy8_GJgg/sat1_bb2_walking.mpeg

It seems to work direct from here, if not this is the URL for the group, which has free and instant membership, which I suppose with respect to the owner would not be a bad idea to join.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThomasBalletHeelsSeiteClub/

The name of the clip is; sat1_bb2_walking.mpeg

Enjoy

Don't hold your breath, folks! I might need to edit this clip a bit. I'm sorry but it's not gonna happen today. It's late already (11pm@GMT+1) and I have to get up early tomorrow morning (4.15am@GMT+1). I'll spend some time on Saturday... CU! -Mike

Ruud,

'CODEC' is an artificial word, meaning enCODer / DECoder. This is actually some sort of code-library that is plugged in into the main program which task it is to do the video crunching. It takes the raw data and passes it to the encoder part of the library. When you play back a video then the decoder part is used. Every video stream or -file has an identification what it was compressed with. The player looks for installed codecs on your system and if one is found that matches the stream ID it starts with playback. Otherwise it doesn't know how to handle the data and you see the error message you keep getting.

For those who are interested - MPEG basics:

Video is compressed by converting the image into its frequency representation. Several tests have shown that human visual perception only requires a certain range of information that needs to be transferred/stored. By eleminating those parts of the images that doesn't contribute much we eventually save disk space without a noticable loss of information. Yes, there is a loss of information with that kind of compression, meaning you'll never get the original info back but only that what you need in order to get a 'good' picture. The higher the compression the less the bandwidth and the less the filesize but the less the quality of a video would be. Furthermore, in case you have a continous video stream you can save bandwith by only transmitting the differences from frame to frame in a sequence of images. Every two seconds or so there's a full frame transmitted otherwise you would have to continously watch a movie from the very first picture uninterruptedly.

By plugging in different codecs you can read/play-back a variety of video streams/files. So you must install the right one. This makes the whole thing kinda flexible. I'd suggest to install Divx since this is a derivative of MPEG4 which gives - provided it was configured smart enough - small file sizes by a relatively good quality. Saying 'relatively' means when played back and watched on a TV screen you won't proably notice that there was heavy compression applied since the TV's quality is much more limited than your computer's video system. If you watch it on your computer you'll see how lttle of the truth your TV actually tells you.

So, check the DivX-site or ask Thomas what particular codec was used in order to create the video(s).

CU!

-Mike

Ok, we are dealing with a bit of a technical glitch, but the file should be up very soon :roll: I've seen the video before, but would like to understand what's being said :) Especially when the 'regular people' are trying out the ballet heels. We will get the time zone (and what seems like a nasty storm trying to knock out the power at my house) and get this file up ASAP. Seeya Jim (btw.. since I am currently wearing ballet boots I will only be delayed slightly when it comes to relocating to the desktop to edit my website)

(formerly known as "JimC")

Richy:-) Those are some very nice stills you were able to take off of the video. You fellows can do that from your computers, but I can't do anything like that from my web-tv set-up. Through you fellows I have been able to see a small piece of the video. Keep the stills coming. Thanks--- Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Jim your server must kick incredible amounts of arse! I've never downloaded a file that big so fast. It only took about 8 or 9 minutes! Unfortunately I don't have PowerDVD installed at the moment. Gotta fix that... Thanks

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

Mickey. That is a superb job that you've done in reworking with the subtitles as well. I still can't believe that the woman who could manage those shoes so well was actually a TV presenter and not someone from the fetish industry.

Yeah, she walked well in them. I think I woulda had to try them in the shopping centre if I had the chance too. Wouldn't have made more than standing up though :roll:

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Folks, one more technical comment on the video: You might have wondered why you only got left-channel audio - Must have been a mistake when it was digitized. Anyway, it's a mono-recording. If someone could take it and copy the left audio track into the right one that would be great (post me how you did; fancy ULead Video Studio 9 is not capable of such trivial things or they are not good at explaining it). CU! -Mike

JeffM, you probably need an Mpeg2 codec. I used Ulead Video Studio 9 and configured some standard compression mode - which could be the Mpeg2. Others gave a way bigger file and Mpeg4/DivX crashed with this program. So it's the only way to supply the video vs. codec & file-length. The easiest would actually be to install PowerDVD since this is gonna bring along some Mpeg2 codec which is needed for DVD playback since this technology bases on that particular compression. CU! -Mike

Good news people... I've managed to compress the video down to a more managable (but still large) 17 MB (from 75MB!!)

It's now DIVX with MP3 audio at 500kbps rate, also I reduced the size a little to help the compression.

And the bad news... I need somewhere to place it on the web to allow others to see, Jim - any chance you can help me out?

It's a great video - good subtitles too thanks! I'm very impressed by the lady that can walk in them like they're normal 4" heels... amazing. Also the tall girl at the shopping mall seems a natural.

Bob.

To view you'll need the divx codec, see

http://www.divx.com

http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXPro511Adware.exe

Then you can use windows media player.... or whatever.

Mickey S Thanks for your help. I do have VideoStudio 7 that came with my DVD burner but it didnt seem to work. Then I discovered that I could use Windows Media Encoder to make another copy and view it. Unfortunately there appears to be an error in my download in the voice when the good doctor is speaking and the whole process stops at that point. I am not sure how much there is left after that but I will try another download tonight, while I sleep. It takes about 5 hours by dial up and that is using DAP. If you hadnt told me about VideoStudio 9 I doubt I would have discovered what I can do. So while I wasnt able to do what you suggested I do appreciate you telling me. Thanks again Jeff

Good news people... I've managed to compress the video down to a more managable (but still large) 17 MB (from 75MB!!)

It's now DIVX with MP3 audio at 500kbps rate, also I reduced the size a little to help the compression.

And the bad news... I need somewhere to place it on the web to allow others to see, Jim - any chance you can help me out?

It's a great video - good subtitles too thanks! I'm very impressed by the lady that can walk in them like they're normal 4" heels... amazing. Also the tall girl at the shopping mall seems a natural.

Bob.

To view you'll need the divx codec, see

http://www.divx.com

http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXPro511Adware.exe

Then you can use windows media player.... or whatever.

Bob,

two questions:

• Did you do that with only the "http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXPro511Adware.exe" tool? I've never used it but I suppose it's some sort of encoder software.
  • Regarding the sound, 128Kbps@MP3 should be okay since it's mono anyway which doesn't need a lot of bandwidth. Remember the some MP3-tunes you were listening to? They all come at 128 .. 160Kbps. Did you try that? Would be interesting! I would expect another substantial decrease in filesize.
CU!

-Mike

JeffM, get the MPEG2-codec. But I don't think that's the problem since you were able to play it back to a certain point. The video is roughly 4min30sec. Try to download again or wait till the 'crunched' Divx version has been made available. CU! -Mike