Are You Stuck In High Heels?

Anita C.

Are you 'Stuck In High Heels"?  

390 members have voted

1. 1. Are you 'Stuck In High Heels"?

What height heel are you most comfortable with Alexa?

While I wear heels on a regular basis, I typically wear heels with at least one layer of thick socks and two layers of pantyhose for padding to offset the heel thus I still can't wear heels barefoot. Without padding, I am still stuck in flats like Uggs, sneakers or ballet flats.

I'm getting closer and closer to being stuck. On the increasingly rare occasions I walk around in flats I can certainly feel it in my calves, and even my shins. It's still possible to walk in flats, but, for example, after a shopping trip a few weeks ago where I wore ballet flats for a day wandering round the shops, it was a relief to get home and slip some heels on for an hour or two in te evening. Felt like my feet were finally in the right position!

Alexa

The natural line of my foot in its most comfortable position is the equivalent of a 3 or 4 inch heel. However, with the benefit of platforms I can manitain this foot angle and go much higher. If I put my foot flat on the floor I get a stretching sensation in my calves and an ache in my shins after a while. If I keep walking I can sustian this for longer because my feet are off the ground for around half he time, but standing still in flats would be a bit uncomfortable if I had to do it for morre than half an hour. Alexa

Alexa, it looks like you are a natural at wearing heels, especially if your foot feels very comfortable at the angle 3" to 4" heels place on you. Lucky you! When wearing such high heels for an extended period of time, do you need to slip off your shoes and flex / stretch your muscles for a little while before putting them back on to walk again?

I take my shoes off a lot. Under my desk (at home or at work), when I'm sitting down for any reason, or if I'm in pumps without a strap to hold them on, even when I'm standing up. These days, I tend to put them on again though, even to walk short distances, as my feet have adapted to walking at an angle and it is more comfortable to do so. I was able to walk flat footed last year, but I've worn heels every day for the first six months of this year and that seems to have tipped me over the edge! Not as flexible as I used to be when I was younger, thats for sure. Alexa

Its not easy for me, I have to get my german to englisch. I never thought over it but I think I am stuck. It starts when I had my 1 child. There my feet changed and toes changed a lot. I have to be better englisch for write more but my school time was schort.

I take it if you were sitting on an airplane for a long flight, you would take your shoes off, even if you had to undo laces, buckles and straps, right? :)

I take my shoes off a lot. Under my desk (at home or at work), when I'm sitting down for any reason, or if I'm in pumps without a strap to hold them on, even when I'm standing up. These days, I tend to put them on again though, even to walk short distances, as my feet have adapted to walking at an angle and it is more comfortable to do so. I was able to walk flat footed last year, but I've worn heels every day for the first six months of this year and that seems to have tipped me over the edge! Not as flexible as I used to be when I was younger, thats for sure.

Alexa

• 2 weeks later...

I’m getting seriously heel adapted these days. I had to walk to the station this morning to get a train for a work related trip. Thinking of all the uneven pavements between my house and the station I wore a pair of last year’s ballet flats, and found the walk quite uncomfortable. Fortunately I had my trusty New Rock Hells in my bag and changed into them once I arrived on the platform. They’re turning out to be my favourite everyday shoes this summer. Instant relief! Next time I shall keep my heels on and call a taxi.

Sometimes I take my shoes off on planes, sometimes not. Depends on how I'm feeling, how long I expect to be there and whether I get absorbed in a film or with looking out of the window.

Alexa

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I had two long walks, and the results have convinced me that I am indeed stuck in high heels. On Saturday my partner and I had a long beach walk for which I wore some platform trainers, which don’t look as bad as they sound, and hold my feet at an angle so are kind to my shortened Achilles tendons and calf muscles. Here they are:

http://www.newrockdirect.co.uk/new-rock/new-rock-cyber/new-rock-cyber-cib010-c1.html

This wasn’t too bad, so when we went out again on Sunday I wore my usual walking boots and we went for several miles along cliff top paths. I wish I hadn’t now, as my calf muscles are really aching today!

Alexa

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend that you carry on walking in your walking boots.

if it's only making your calf muscles ache a bit then you still have a chance to avoid getting stuck in heels.

This weekend I had two long walks, and the results have convinced me that I am indeed stuck in high heels. On Saturday my partner and I had a long beach walk for which I wore some platform trainers, which don’t look as bad as they sound, and hold my feet at an angle so are kind to my shortened Achilles tendons and calf muscles. Here they are:

http://www.newrockdirect.co.uk/new-rock/new-rock-cyber/new-rock-cyber-cib010-c1.html

This wasn’t too bad, so when we went out again on Sunday I wore my usual walking boots and we went for several miles along cliff top paths. I wish I hadn’t now, as my calf muscles are really aching today!

Alexa

Yes, you’re quite right Amanda. It’s a good idea to keep stretching my feet back into a flat position before I get too far past the point of no return! It’s just so tempting to stick my heels on, though. The sudden satisfying pop as one’s heel drops into the heel cup, the caress of a boot shaft on one’s leg as the zipper rises, the grip of straps as one buckles them over the instep. But I’m rambling. You don’t get anythign like the same sort of pleasure with flats!

Alexa

Great thread! It also reminds me, after work, I should always take off my high heeled boots and wear my Uggs or my aerobic shoes around the house so I won't be locked in the high heels position forever. It is so hard to take off my heels and swap them for boring flats after work though ........

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to stretch my calf muscles over the last few weeks so as to get used to wearing flats again. I've been walking about the house barefoot, and when going upstairs I've been taking the opportunity to exercise them by putting my toes on the tread and raising and lowering my heels so that at the lowest point they're lower than my toes. I think it's working. I spent Sunday afternoon in wellies doing a bit of gardening. Sounds very boring I know, compared to the glamorous lives some of you on here seem to lead. But after about six hours in wellies on Sunday, my legs weren't aching too badly on Monday. So maybe it's working. Alexa

• 1 month later...

So I wear heels for 3 years only. Meanwhile, I notice it too. Also have a strong and often times painful pull in the foot and calf whom I wear heels sometimes not. If I'm honest I think it's actually also nice to remember to adjust the heels because my feet. Would like to start earlier to wear high heels but, unfortunately, am only later came up with the idea. My husband had to give me a kick :) I also have to shower high heels.

• 1 month later...

Hi Esther for many years i have suffered with feet problems due to wearing high heels more or less all the time, the physicale afspect of being stuck in heels are somethink i have tryed to think is normal and hope it dont show, i have seen many foot drs and the first thing they say can you walk flat footed ?. Having deformed toes like i have and bunions, having excessivly tight tendons is the first thing i must combat in the health of my feet is to regain full movement but i have had xrays of my legs and feet and the changes in tendon lenth and strenth has been dramaticly alttered, so for some girls who are totaly stuck in there maximum hight i know they must be doing such damage to there achilles and they dont realise but i do know and its so hard to get back down in heel hight .

• Like 1

shaz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I think I've just given up on the idea of ever getting out of my heels. How many of us have shower heels?

I actually have some.

Hey Jen, I just wanted to send you a PM, but somehow your mailbox here is full...?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been reluctent to talk about this because of people who would say that I must be crazy, but I am stuck in heels. I wear five inch heels all the time. Rather than go into my story right now, I would like to chat with other women who find themselves in the same situation and how they deal with it. Jennifer

At one point I wore heels every day. Then when I'd switch to flats on the weekends my legs would hurt like crazy. I mentioned to a friend, who is an orthopeadic surgeon, about the pain I was experiencing. He suggested switching up my shoes and not wearing heels everyday...but the trick was to get my leg and foot muscles to "reset". It took a couple of weeks of no heel wearing, but I finally got my calf muscles stretched to the point that I had no pain when wearing flats or low heels. It was truly an experience of "no pain no gain". For instance... I wore heels on Monday, flats yesterday, mid-wedges today and will probably wear heels again on Thursday. But I stay away from days on end in heels.

It's about Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of New Shoes!

As a newcomer to wearing heels, I'm a bit confused as to how exactly a person finds themselves 'stuck' wearing heels. On a normal week I wear heels almost all day, with the exception of the gym and sometimes the evening. I make sure I do stretches so that my calves and Achilles' tendons don't shrink.

"Porsche...There is no Substitute"

It may happen over time for the more permanently heeled among us. If you wear flats for sports and frequently on evenings or weekends, you most probably won't be affected. I don't wear any flat shoes at the moment and I know I am affected, but I am completely ok with it.

• Like 1