more support outside the home

ShockQueen

Today I went to the technical school I'm working on my A+ certification at, wearing my thigh-high white-patent platform boots (under jeans of course) as well as my protector rings. My mentor thought I had on the 'coolest kicks he's seen in a long time'! I thought this was a high compliment coming from someone I thought was so 'straight-laced'.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

why would you waste your money going to a tech school for you A+ cert...its soooooooooo easy, i got mine this summer....ud be better off getting a $30 study book, browsing through it and then just taking the cert...i was shocked at how easy the A+ was

On 2002-03-29 12:50, terayon wrote:

why would you waste your money going to a tech school for you A+ cert...

Because I didn't have to pay for it. My company pays for our training, so I figured it was worth it. Besides, it's actually an I.T. membership there, so that means that after I complete the A+ I can start right away on my N+ cert.

I'll just be known as the fashionable tech-guru.

Hey Shockqueen: You say your professor was cooler than you thought and not so straight laced? So he wears a corset? That's where the term "straight laced" came from. Isn't that funny how we commonly use such old terms still to this day? :smile: Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

So that's where it came from! LOL...I had no idea. Guess I'm more out of the loop than most. I think it'd be interesting to see him strapped into a corset just to see how many curves we can put into him.

I received some compliments tonight from my female co-workers who can't understand how I can walk in my platform boots the way I do. This is an interesting turn of events as usually we wonder how they can do it sometimes (not people here obviously as the men here have grace built in). One of my friends E-mailed my professor (mentor) at the technical school to set up a time to go talk with him about some schooling options and he said I can come only if I show up in my boots, so I'm wearing my white patent platform boots like I did last week, and then go to work after that. My new sup loves my site too, so I think I'm really on a roll here. Guess it's not bad being different from the rest of the flock (seriously kicking myself for not doing this MUCH sooner!).

it's great how you are receiving a large amount of credit for being yourself. your heels are just an extension of you. People obviously are recognising the fact and like you for it. Keep it up! It's fantastic it's working for you! and yes! you should have done it MUCH earlier !! :smile:

I agree wholeheartedly, Francis! I went to work in my thigh-high white-patent platform boots (where I'm typing this from right NOW) and WOW....how easy it went over! Not a problem whatsoever! My eyes have been opened, and I feel SO much better! JeffB was the trailblazer, and I just happened to hop on the wagon, and off to the emerald city we go!

Hiya, SQ! Congrats on your latest achievement! White platform boots, eh? I'm most impressed! Thanks also for the kind words. I never thought of myself as a trailblazer, I simply wanted to do something I enjoy, so I took that big step by wearing heels to the workplace, and discovered it wasn't as horrifying as one might believe. More power to you, my friend!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thanx! What was cool is that last night I was getting a soda in our break room, and one of my friends was wondering why I chose that particular color and was kinda puzzled by it, but my supervisor thought they were really cool. Hey...if you can't trust your supervisor when at work, who can you trust? Another one on our side! YAY!

My experiences are sort of different to those of SQ. No one really pays that much attention to my boots. Sometimes I push the boundaries and wear some 4.5" boots with thin heels or something, but still noone says anything. The only time they do is if I don't wear heels!

I think they are used to you showing up in heels, Firefox. That is why they only say something when you don't wear them. Kinda like being a celebrity in a way as we're those brave souls that break through the barriers and wear what we like.

• 4 weeks later...

I work as a supervisor in an Internet Access Site and the computer room is situated in a recreation center for 55+ people. I started going to work with 4 ins. hh for the first time about 2 weeks ago, not having worn hh for many years. During that period, hundreds of people, some in their eighties, have seen me with the full heel showing and, so far, I haven't seen or heard any reaction from anyone. Maybe it will come later. But yesterday afternoon, while going back home - a half hour's walk- I hear a female voice yelling out loud: wow, wow WOW, WOW from somewhere on the other side of the street.I keep on walking, and then the voice comes back again: "hey! won't you give me your beautifull boots"! I turn around and don't see anyone on the street as obviously that person is talking from inside a house through a window screen. I wait for a few seconds in case she would come out of the house, and seeing it doesn't happen, I go on my way. So far, in wearing heels on and off since the mid 70's, this is the strongest reaction I've seen. The few others I've had were all nice complimentary smiles. Hi to all!