Driving a Car in Heels

Nata

Hello everyone. Has anyone tried driving with heels on ? I have tried but I experience problems controlling the clutch (stick shift). I find that an automatic transmission car is easier (hee hee... no need for clutch control). whenever I drive, I slip the heels off my feet and drive bare-footed. :smile:

Cheers,

Nata

I drive in heels quite a bit, usually three or four inches, but I have managed five. Yes, automatic transmission is easy. It takes some practice, and one must leave a bit of extra distance in case reaction time is cut down for moving the foot from accelerator to brake pedal. It gets easy, with practice. The key for me was learning how to position my foot on the floor. Resting on the back of the heel does not work, because in heels, this shifts to the heel tip, and puts the foot at an awkward angle. My foot rests on the back side, and the heel runs along the floor of the car. I find I have better control this way, as my foot has more contact and stability.

I've been driving in heels for some time now, and can wear my platform boots while doing it as well. It just takes a lot of practice to get the 'feel' of it.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

That's what I thought so too... The heel got to be running parallel along the floor or else the foot will be in an awkward position. however, it is still not easy for me though. My dad is still driving a stick shift so I have no choice but to settle for that. :smile:

Cheers,

Nata

I think I'm a amauter on driving cause just started wearing heels and drive around 2 years ago.As for my experinces, I think its best not to wear higher than 4 inch heels during driving and keep a distances of 100 metres from the front car if you are driving 100 km/h. Japan have banned platforms shoe while driving, but if you get used to it, then its okies. :smile:

Driving during the day with heels on is just too risky with the heavy traffic. So far, I only dare to drive with heels on at night in areas where the traffic is light. Of course, I do ask my brother or friend to accompany me when I am practicing. My friend ever once advised me to give safety the top priority in driving and if driving in heels do compromise safety, I should not do it... So I always have reservations about driving in heels. But I do admire women who can drive with stiletto heels. :smile:

Cheers,

Nata

I've been driving in heels and megaplatforms since more than 30 years and never had a bad experience. It is just natural to me but the last 10 years my primary car has automatic gearshift, a bonus and not only for heels in this inreasingly crowded stop and go traffic. When I choose a car I make sure there is sufficient distance between the gas and brake pedal in order to allow the wider platforms I sometimes wear. I also check there is an adequate footrest for my other foot. My curreent car is a Lexus and this has this automatically raising steering wheel coupled on the contact key, making getting in and out a lot easier in whatever heels or platform I wear. It got to the point that footwear influences my choice of cars but I had to set some priorities and so far have been able to combine both.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

One of the first places I got to wear heels was in the safety of my own car, so I've had a fair bit of practice driving in heels. I drive a manual (that'll be stick shift) car, and always have. I've found that up to 4" isn't a problem so far, but you do need to take extra care. The only time I had to pull over and change was early on, in a two mile traffic jam up a hill in London, which was just too much. Otherwise, I go for it. Certainly when I went out to Meadowhall, I drove there and back in my 4" heels, and didn't have a big problem. I think care and practice are needed!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

No big deal for me up to 4 1/2", I have actually been wondering if it is this easy for everybody. The only thing that differs a bit is getting the gearbox into kickdown, as you need to push the pedal really to the floor and beyond, but I don't need it that much as the car has enough horses available even ithout having to push it to the limits. And speeding tickets are SUPER steep here, so I'm not planning to get one. Bert

What's all the fuss about?

No p-r-o-b-l-e-m! And I have a supercharged 4.6L with a five speed. In fact I drive slower in heels because of the increased foot angle. The loud pedal in the dang thang is just to touchy in running shoes.

No problem for me, up to 5" I drive with my sole on the pedal and a carpet mat on the floor. This is all manual gear change, most of our cars are in the UK. Clutches are no problem for us clever Brits :smile: It can still mess up the shoes. A top tip is to adjust the steering wheel up if it is adjustable as your knees are higher. I try not to drive in platforms, not that I have many platforms. Anyway, they are for standing on, not for driving in B) _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-03-27 03:29 ]</font>

I only drive in heels. The other day, I drove with my sneakers on for the first time in almost a year and it felt extremely awkward! My jeep is a 5 speed manual transmission. I've never owned an automatic. (although what Highluc said w/regards to the world being much more stop and go is very true, and has me considering an automatic someday) Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

i coulda gotten my G1 in february, but i dont really care about driving so i havent gotten it yet...but when i do, i do wanna try and drive with heels for sure...im not sure how it will feel...my parents have a ford expediton and a mercedes slk...both automatic (i think the mercedes is at least..never really looked). I think ill do most of my driving in flat shoes though cause they are really expensive cars and i know if i got into an accident cause i was wearing heels id get my friggin ass kicked...not to mention never being able to drive again :smile:

I drive in heels all the time unless, like today, I did physical work which involved getting dirty. Afterwards, I had a long shower to remove the dirt, and changed into fresh clothes .... and 4" blocks, to return a trailer to a friend's place and eat a pub meal on the way home. I have a jeep where the seating position is more upright than most cars. This means I can put the tip of a 4" heel on the floor and reach the pedals with my toes. This gives good clutch control. The other advantage is that the backs of my heels don't touch the floor and get worn and unsightly. With 5" heels, there isn't enough length between heel tip and toe end to bridge the gap between floor and clutch pedal, so I have to do what many small-footed women do and balance my whole foot on the clutch. This means the level of control is not as great, but thankfully the clutch is smooth and progressive on this vehicle, so I don't find myself leaping off from stationary like a scalded cat. The gas pedal is longer, so doesn't give problems. I've driven in 2" plats and 6" heels before, and the only thing I had to do was to move the driver's seat back. I had to do an emergency stop while driving in these plats. With the seat moved back to allow for the plats, all the subconscious movements of my feet were the same, but I caught some of the metalwork of the jeep in my hurry to stop. This slowed my reaction down by a fraction of a second and put a horrible cut in my nice new plats. Yes, I did manage to stop in time. My conclusions about driving in heels go along the lines:- If you are comfortable walking in 4.5" heels and can do most things without really noticing they are there, then you should be OK to drive in them. Yes, I can walk in 5.5", but it certainly isn't easy and effortless. Driving must be, so don't drive in heels that you can't walk in easily. This goes for plats too. I find the 2" plats heavy going for walking, and, as I have experienced, not so clever for driving. IF YOU CAN'T WALK IN EFFORTLESSLY IN 'EM, DON'T DRIVE IN 'EM.

I can drive in 4" without any problem and often do since I find it more relaxing. I have tryed 5" and it work very well too, I even tryed 2" platform boots with 6" heel and I discovered it was no problem either. But, an it is a big but, if an emergancy occours it will most likely slow down my reaction time with heels over 4", especially with platforms. In some way it seems to have something with how wide the sole is and the material of it. If its made of hard slippery plastic it would be easier to slip on the pedals, I think. By the way, I have been driving both automatic and manual gearboxed cars, well, automatic is easier with higher heels, there is only two pedals insted of three.

I agreed with xaphod, only drive in what you can comfortably handle walking all day. More often I'm cycling in heels, up to 3 inch don't notice them but above that some loss in power - just seems to be harder to push, something to do with the mechanics. No problem with that back of heel scuffing on a bike. I remember back at school admiring the teachers with fine stilettos and tight skirts, and they managed well. ..

No problem for me driving in my heels, in fact I did when we were recently over in the UK. One thing that I've always found though is that you tend to scuff the back of the heel. So driving in your best ones is perhaps not to be recommended :smile: Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

Yeah driving messes up shoes. I find the inside of the right heel can get torn and scuffed as you move from accelerator to brake. I try not to drive in my best pairs. On a slight aside I've seen whole websites devoted to women driving in heels or for some reason pumping on the gas pedal. Some people must find it a great turn on but I'm completely indifferent to it. _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want Edit: spelling only <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-03-28 14:48 ]</font>

Fox, some people are... different. I think this comes from the car being power, the heels being sexy, and power, and combining them, a sexy heeled woman who has power is taming a powerful machine. I agree, be careful with the heels when driving, they tend to be damaged. I have little makrs all over my oxfords. Speaking of the oxfords, a new observation. The type of heel also determines the driving style. With a stiletto, you have a small point and the foot can pivot easy, but this means a lack of control as the slightest twinge of the foot can create some pivot action. My oxfords have the square post shape, and they offer more surfance contact on the car floor. This allows for better grip and control, so despite the four inch height, I can manage by balancing on the heel, or laying the heel along the floor. Either way leads to dirt or damage. This is why my ankle boots have tape on the back, because I drove in them all winter and the back seam for the fabric ripped open from the pressure of rubbing every now and then.

I've driven in heels since I began driving. It never seemed to be a problem for me until once my 5 inch heel got caught on my floormat. I didn't get in an accident, just got really scared for a minute. Since then I secured my floormats. :smile:

So many shoes, so little time...

I have no problem whatsoever driving in heels. So far I tried up to 5,5". I read in a engineering magazine this week that someone invented a combined gas/brake pedal. This thing makes the time-to-brake shorter than with the conventional two separate pedals. I saw a pic of it, we heelers definitely don't want this.. It makes it impossible to drive with heels on.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

I like the two pedal system, it forces a driver to be aware, alert and develop good reflexes. Sometimes we need to teach saftey as a habit to be formed, a way of driving, and not perform a quick fix with technology. If I am wearing heels that day, I am driving in them, and no designer will be allowed to get in the way! :smile: