Rise in heel popularity?

Achilleus

Does it seem to anyone else that high heels have doubled or tripled in popularity over the last 6 to 12 months? It seems to have coincided with a rise in popularity of boots, which perhaps were more comfortable to new heels wearers than were pumps or sandals. In any event, whereas in the past most fashionable women were wearing chunky 2-3" heels, I now see large numbers in 3-4" thin heeled shoes and boots (I live in New York). Even more surprisingly, the number of heels has actually increased since 9/11 - I expected heels to vanish in Manhattan in the aftermath of the attacks, but it seems like there's been a 'return to feminity' or something in response. Achilleus

There has certainly been a return to femininity in the style of clothes currently available for women. This then influences the style of shoes available. I remember reading about the fashion trends a year or so ago, which mentioned about the return of the stiletto heel to the mainstream, and sure enough back they came. What I do find interesting though is that the previous styles are still readliy available. Perhaps the fashion industry is now catering for everybody rather than the dedicated followers. (cue record by the kinks!) Thats enough thought first thing Monday morning.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Hiya, As a compulsive wearer I've noticed this tend too. It's just so cool as you all know I adore my heels. Still the maximum mainstream height is 4 inch (10 cm) and I nearly always wear 11cm and higher, why? My answer is heels give us from the fairer sex confidence, authority and are essential equipment for sexual sorcery. To me heels are POWER and the HIGHER the better! B) B) Think I might just use that one as my sig! Inga :smile: _________________ HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-03-18 10:43 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Yupe. In this 3 to 6 months or so,the popularity of heels has certainly risen. Recently, the fashion trends in US has emphasised more on heels ( i guess ) with clothes that have US flag on it. I guess the fashion designers wanted to show that higher heels will give someone the confidences and power especially after the 9/11 inccident.

I wouldn't say they've doubled or tripled in popularity here in Southern California, but the number of 2.5~3.5" boots over the winter was pretty obvious- it was a lot! :smile: As spring approaches, there still aren't many spike or stiletto heels, or even wedges/platform wedges. A few more to be sure- especially when on the town or at clubs, but nothing in great numbers yet. However, it's not yet April. My first 5" stiletto sandals sighting- with minimalist straps- at the beginning of the month was a NICE surprise!

Stilettos, haven't seen much my self yet. Seen many chunky stiles. I have seen empty store shelves where blades once stood, But not many I have seen on the streets. Maybe stilettos and blades will be more popular this summer. I hope so... <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-18 19:21 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I've seen a lot of boot with heels around in the last couple of years. 3" boots are never going to go out of style for women because the chance to catch up 3" in an easy walkable style, when women often compete in todays business world in pant suits, is a really good market. Height IS power and confidence.

Calgary is awash in boots. Sometimes boots were the only style in a store that had a half way decent heel! I have noticed that most women wearing boots around the building have some sort of heel. And now, a few courts with heels, thinner a bit, blade stylings more prominent. However, from my quick glances, these are only reaching three inches on the women, both boots and shoes. I still get to be highest heeled girl at work. No platforms, just pure heel power. If only this weather would warm up, melt that snow, and then I could stop wearing pants to work and show off a bit more. I would be wearing skirts, let's not get the wrong idea here...

On 2002-03-25 23:08, Achilleus wrote:

Hey Laurie - speaking of skirts, how would you describe your personal 'style' apart from heels? Based on your hair color and your PVC skirt, I imagine you as a bit of a flashy dresser...

My personal style is quite ecclectic. Combine women's suit jackets with short skirts and that' my work ideal. Generally, I make it up as I go along, and I feel that I am not fashionable or trendy. I stand out, at least.

I think I am a little bit flashy, but not as much as I would like to be, as the budget for clothes and shoes is non existant.