Obligatory Vietnam Picture

mlroseplant

Here is my annual photo of a Vietnamese woman wearing heels in a situation where it would probably have been better not to: Getting on a rickety boat to travel across a lake to visit a temple where walking conditions are downright treacherous. However, I'd have done the same thing myself, had I been allowed to, only with higher heels!

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 11.46.59 AM.png

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Getting on a rickety boa

Thanks for the picture and I assume, if you are having the time to take it, you are out and about and doing well, however that image does not jive with my recollections of a Vietnamese rickety boat which, to my recollection, were held together with nails and rope (I don't think they had duct tape).  Now my recollections are over 40 years old and I know a LOT has changed so I am glad that the definition of rickety has advanced this much. :penitent:

More trip pictures would be welcomed.

:wavey:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

8 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

Thanks for the picture and I assume, if you are having the time to take it, you are out and about and doing well, however that image does not jive with my recollections of a Vietnamese rickety boat which, to my recollection, were held together with nails and rope (I don't think they had duct tape).  Now my recollections are over 40 years old and I know a LOT has changed so I am glad that the definition of rickety has advanced this much. :penitent:

More trip pictures would be welcomed.

:wavey:

You are quite right, this does not meet the definition of a rickety boat 40 years ago. Things have changed dramatically in the last ten years, to say nothing of the last forty.

I will have other pictures, if people are interested, but perhaps it would be better to stick them in a more general forum. Meanwhile, here is the reason why, in my estimation, women wear heels so much in Vietnam. This is a typical picture of what a gathering inside somebody's house looks like. It's Tet holiday, so everyone is dressed up a little bit more, but as you can see, no one is wearing street shoes. So really, unless you are going on an outdoor tour or something, your time in heels in relatively limited. They spend most of the time piled up by the front door.

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 7.37.57 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...

It's more then rude in the Middle East. Streets are dirty there and shoes walk over those dirty streets. Therefore shoes are dirty things down there, and insults that use shoes in colorful wayss are common. That's why that Iraqi reporter threw his shoes at President Bush. To them it was the equivalent of giving somebody the finger. Even worse.