First Public Experience In Heels

HeeledSteve

Typical it's my day off and I've woken up earlier than normal. So I thought I may as well post about my first ever public outing from earlier this week. Wasn't sure if I should post this here or for everyone but thought here wouldn't break any forum rules. 

I had ordered two new pairs of ankle boots one with an 80mm stiletto heel the other with a lower 55mm cone heel. In hindsight probably the lower pair would have been the best choice but since I'd ordered them first the stilettos arrived first.I also figured maybe I should just go for it and not try to avoid the stilettos otherwise  why had I bought them? I had got them to wear and so decided I would.

I got off the train from work in the evening having decided today was the day, feeling confident and ready to go for it. It was early evening around six thirty pm and all the other commuters were like me heading up the well lit main road from the station to the parking in the town centre.

I changed into the boots and took my first steps, initially waiting until the last crowd of commuters had gone.  I figured if I found I hadn't mastered the heels around the house I didn't want to be unable to walk with confidence in public. As it was I was ok on them but immediately noticed how much smaller steps I had to take. I didn't feel too noticeable in the way I was walking but the noise sounded like gunshots, well at least to me.

I walked to my  car which took about twenty minutes calling at the cash machine on the way. Passed several people on the high street who took no notice,  hardly surprising as I was dressed in my work clothes, so unless they noticed the heel noise  they were hardly likely to think twice. By this time I'd also come to realise that the best approach was to be confident and treat this like any other evenings walk to the car. I passed the front of the Indian Restaurant in town where several people were looking at the menu outside, again no reaction.

Driving home I was happy  I'd taken my "first steps" and started to plan where my growing confidence was going to take me next, more on that later.

• Like 9

Addicted to the click

Congratulations !  You did it !  Always nice to read about the first outdoor heeling experiences from others. I hope you will get more confident on heels, And it goes literally step by step. An advice given already by many others in this forum but still very valid: try not to start too high in the beginning. Our feet, ankles and legs need to get used to walk in a different position which requires some practicing. But it is worth the effort !

Don't be afraid to wear your heels as you would wear any other shoes, just put them on and almost forget that you're wearing heels, that way you can be natural and not show any nerves or apprehension, go about your normal daily routine as you normally would and you'll be surprised how easy it is, show confidence and enjoy yourself 

this was some advice i posted to someone on here and i stand by it, works for me, maybe as time goes by you'll try longer boots over your trousers on full show 

I agree, peoples senses are alerted to behaviour  around them. I personaly  notice anyone behaving out of the ordinary, not because I immediately wonder about their fashion choices simply because it would make me wonder what they are up. Having confidence and just doing the things you would be doing but in heels seems to be working for me so far. I also agree with you on the height. I know I couldn't walk naturally in  anything higher than a mid heels with confidence. It doesn't matter what the gender of the wearer no one looks good walking badly in heels.

• Like 1

Addicted to the click

2 hours ago, maninboots said:

Don't be afraid to wear your heels as you would wear any other shoes, just put them on and almost forget that you're wearing heels...

Good advice except nearly impossible for novices to follow. I'm sure most of if not all of us were apprehensive early on.

Good luck, only time and experience will get you to the, I didn't even know I had heels on stage.

Edited by Jkrenzer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HeeledSteve said:

By this time I'd also come to realise that the best approach was to be confident and treat this like any other evenings walk to the car.

Confidence is the key.  Even if folks notice your heels, when you are projecting confidence folks will respect it.  Congratulations, it usually takes new heelers a bit longer (and some never get it) to realize how important confidence really is to going out and enjoying your heels.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I wouldn't say I wasn't a little apprehensive in fact I was, I think that would be normal. It's more I was able to overcome it. In part this is because the one other traditionally non male fashion trend I like is nail polish. I'm not able to wear it at work but nearly every weekend I wear polish on my hands.

As you can imagine it's impossible to hide this, it's seen anytime and place someone would see your fingers. I'm very comfortable doing this and well supported in this by my Wife. I've therefore had a lot of exposure to public situations doing something your not seeing men do all the time. You also have to overcome your concerns regarding the opinions of others as it is impossible to hide nail polish on your fingers. I tend to wear dark colours so again its very quickly noticed.

My experience with this is that people will notice most will show no reaction a few might look a bit longer but not in a disapproving negative way more out of interest. In many years doing this this has been my experience. I find if anyone does ask about it then it is usually women and with a positive reaction. It is usually to comment on the colour or to give positive support for having the confidence to use polish or both. The manager of my local coffee shop before she left couldn't wait to see that weekends colour.

Bottom line my experience with polish has been positive when anyone's ever seemed to be interested. It's this experience that has made me feel able to go public in heels.

• Like 1

Addicted to the click

13 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Good advice except nearly impossible for novices to follow. I'm sure most of if not all of us were apprehensive early on.

Good luck, only time and experience will get you to the, I didn't even know I had heels on stage.

Not only were we apprehensive, but we were simply not physically accustomed to wearing heels out in the "real world." Even without the psychological baggage, it takes months if not years of practice before you can just "forget" about them.

14 hours ago, HeeledSteve said:

I also agree with you on the height. I know I couldn't walk naturally in  anything higher than a mid heels with confidence. It doesn't matter what the gender of the wearer no one looks good walking badly in heels.

I also did my first outing in mid heels, and it was a good thing. Despite hours of wear around the house, one of the things that I wasn't prepared for was how tired I would get walking a continuous distance. It seems quite silly now, but I was definitely using muscles I'd never taxed that much all at once before. Congratulations on your successful outing!

• Like 1