Boot struggles

maninboots

I seem to have huge problems getting into boots without a zip, high heels seem to be worse, I'm only a uk size 5 (euro 38) so women's sized feet really, admittedly with high arches which probably doesn't help, I sometimes have to go up 2 sizes just to get into them which then looks and feels way too big, I've been known to take over an hour to get 1 pair of boots on which is ridiculous to say the least, it's really frustrating when you've planned your outfit then can't get your boots on or even worse you struggle into 1 and then can't get the other on.

Is it me? Surely they are not designed to be so difficult, is it technique? am I doing something wrong? Is it predominantly a male problem or do women have the problem too? With a zip no problem but without no chance, i would welcome any advice on this matter other than sticking to zips of course 

• Like 1

Almost all of my boots have zip.  I have a few pair that are of a stretch fabric that are designed to be tight but I have had a similar problem with boots without a zipper.  The ones I have without a zip are flat heeled fabric boots: post-530-0-73801300-1437857805_thumb.jpg  (mostly from Payless).

In this particular pair I cut a slit in the ankle and installed a lace.  Others which are a little bigger, I push my toe into the boot as far as it will go into the front of the boot and then pull the back of the boot up over my heel.  This is a little rough on the back of the boot and eventually it will fail.  Sometimes I have even had to put something slick (plastic bag material, aluminum foil) over my heel to get the back of the boot to slide upward (these boots don't last very long).

I think your solution will be to either by stretch fabric boots or boots with a zip.

:wavey:

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Well, I certainly admire your determination for sure!  I don't know, seems like even though your foot size is small, your foot and leg dimensions are larger than usually found on women that wear the same size boots.  I'm guessing the boots you already have (no zippers), are the ones you love, very frustrating indeed.  I like TBGs plastic bag idea, perhaps some talcum powder might help as well.  I'm thinking you better stick with zipper boots for future purchases though. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, that's pretty much what I expected you to say, i do like my zipped boots aswell and do have many pairs, you can tend to get them to fit tightly, but you just occasionally find a gorgeous pair without a zip that you can't resist and if you want to wear them badly enough then you just have to persevere, the strange thing is they do fit perfectly once you've got them on, it's just having the energy to go out after all that struggling, I'm not getting any younger you know 

• Like 1

I hear ya buddy, and know exactly how you feel.  There is nothing more disturbing than finding a pair of boots you love, but not being able to wear them.  Our foot dimensions surely do change as the years go by, making it harder to fit into the boots we love.  I too, will do most anything needed to squeeze into great boots. 

I usually have the opposite problem--I have trouble getting non-zippered boots back off after I've been wearing them a few hours. I think in my case, the fact that I have rather flexible and slim ankles for a guy helps in getting the boots on in the first place. I find that a side-to-side rocking motion tends to gain me faster entry than an up-and-down motion. Still, I have simply learned not to wear these type of boots if I will be visiting a place where I will be required to remove my footwear.

• Like 1

I have similar issue but nowhere near your level of perseverance. I think it comes down to how far the ankle bends plus relative length v width. 

Us blokes tend (note generalisation) to have wider feet compared to the gals at same length.

on the few pairs ive tried i have a few options but none are perfect solutions

-- wear stocking socks a bit thicker (dernier 30) or so as these slude and compress your feet

-- if barefoot rub a moisturiser over feet

-- use a shoe horn

good luck

james

Regards

James

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all I'm jealous of someone who can wear size 38 which means you can buy just about any model of any brand.  :-)

Second, that's strange, because women need to get into their boots too. 

Repeat what others have said about socks, stockings, bags, shoe horns, etc. to make sliding in easier

@mlroseplant:  It sounds like you need one of these:  http://www.shopfallenwoods.com/_p/prd1/586115121/oak-bootjack

Edited by alphax

It's a function of you foot's shape: HIGH ARCHES.  

I have size 10 women-shaped feet with high arches. The only boots I have without zippers are Uggs and two pairs of Madden Girls calf-high boots that I can get on and off...they are hard to get on and hard to get off. Otherwise I have given up all hope of ever fitting boots without zippers.  I ordered some Steve Madden KHB this winter but couldn't even get my foot halfway around the ankle choke hold, had to take them back.

The high arches make our feet too voluminous for the choke hold at the ankle, and if you add more material there the shoe would not fit correctly once you get your foot in.

The good news is there are plenty of great boots in our sizes (7 and 10) with zippers.

On 1/31/2017 at 5:11 AM, maninboots said:

I seem to have huge problems getting into boots without a zip, high heels seem to be worse, I'm only a uk size 5 (euro 38) so women's sized feet really, admittedly with high arches which probably doesn't help, I sometimes have to go up 2 sizes just to get into them which then looks and feels way too big, *snip*

More thoughts: 

With some shoe brands, in their high heels about 4 inches and up, you have to go up one size to get the correct fit.  Whenever I buy heels online, I have to ask the merchant or manufacturer for sizing advice.  Some fit true to size, and some don't.  See #2 in this article:  http://www.sheknows.com/love-and-sex/articles/5540/factors-to-consider-when-buying-and-wearing-high-heels-for-romance

I was trying to find this illustration that I saw way back when on why this is so, but I can't find it.  It had something to do with the geometry of the foot in high heel position and how the gap to the back of the shoe increases with higher heel height.