Trump and the Power Tie

Being a creative sort who has never liked, nor felt comfortable wearing, neckties I can't help but see at least one silver lining in the rise and rise of Donald Trump. He is bound to be the death of the necktie.  Seeing him striding up to take the oath of office the other day with his coat unbuttoned and an absurdly long scarlet tie hanging down below his crotch, one can't help feeling he will succeed in making the necktie unfashionable for at least a generation.  One would have though his fashionable wife would have said, dear, you really need to re-tie that necktie before you step out in public; you look like a naughty school boy.   

Edited by Shyheels

My immediate thought on seeing the Trump red neck-wear [or should that be redneck-wear?] was that his tongue was hanging out, lasciviously!   

I don't dislike ties, although rarely have the need or urge to wear one nowadays.   But what I DO hate is a man wearing a tie which is not properly knotted and is loose, and often worn with the top shirt button undone.   A sight often seen at weddings and similar formal events, where men nominally conform to the expected dress code but clearly feel uncomfortable doing so.   Is it that difficult to be properly turned-out once or twice a year? 

I know that JFK hated wearing a hat and, despite pressure to wear a fedora or similar in public, rarely if ever did so.   I suspect that this influenced many other men to abandon the practice, already dying-out this side of the pond at least.

JFK did indeed dislike hats and is often credited with accelerating the already fading fashion of hat wearing among men. Because of his famous dislike of hats it is often mistakenly claimed that he was the first president not to wear a top hat to his inauguration. In curious point of fact, he was actually the last to wear one!

I am no fan of ties and have not worn one in many years - indeed, I do not even own one!  But if I did own one, and found myself obliged to wear it one day, you can be sure I would tie it correctly.

Edited by Shyheels

Thanks! Alas, the urge is unlikely; ditto the need.

And as for later - I suspect that if I were to front up to the Pearly Gates wearing a tie, St Peter wouldn't have a clue who it was.

Mind you, that might work in my favour...

Edited by Shyheels

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Thanks! Alas, the urge is unlikely; ditto the need.

And as for later - I suspect that if I were to front up to the Pearly Gates wearing a tie, St Peter wouldn't have a clue who it was.

Mind you, that might work in my favour...

I am reminded of the timid little man found by St Peter to be the only man in the 'Henpecked Husbands' queue outside the Gates.   When St. Peter asked him why he was in that queue, normally devoid of applicants, he got the response 'My wife told me to wait here'.   Somehow, I can't see Trump being that man.

1 minute ago, Puffer said:

I am reminded of the timid little man found by St Peter to be the only man in the 'Henpecked Husbands' queue outside the Gates.   When St. Peter asked him why he was in that queue, normally devoid of applicants, he got the response 'My wife told me to wait here'.   Somehow, I can't see Trump being that man.

I don't see him at the Pearly Gates, full stop.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Puffer said:

I was doing some voluntary work, compiling an index to Births, Marriages and Deaths for the library's microfiche of the local paper.  In one in 1960 there was a man who'd warranted a page 2 obituary, reserved for pillars of society.  His widow was on page 1, having died falling out of bed on the morning of his funeral.  I expect he sighed in heaven.

17 hours ago, Puffer said:

Is it that difficult to be properly turned-out once or twice a year? 

If you only dig out a shirt and tie once a year, you usually discover to late (as in 10 minute before your supposed to leave) that the shirt no longer fits. 

• Like 1

I just listened to Theresa May (UK's Prime Minister) addressing the Congressional Republicans in Philadelphia while wearing nice black pumps (Theresa May not the Republicans).  In the address she referenced Ronald Regan several times.  I haven't been following foreign politics too closely (keeping up with Trump is enough).

My question to the U.K. folks: Is this a new Iron Lady?

Edited by Thighbootguy
clarification on who was wearing pumps

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

23 minutes ago, Thighbootguy said:

I just listened to Theresa May (UK's Prime Minister) addressing the Congressional Republicans in Philadelphia while wearing nice black pumps (Theresa May not the Republicans).  In the address she referenced Ronald Regan several times.  I haven't been following foreign politics too closely (keeping up with Trump is enough).

My question to the U.K. folks: Is this a new Iron Lady?

I was less than thrilled when she took over but I have to admit I have been grudgingly (favourably) impressed since. I think comparisons with the Iron Lady are inevitable, but not really valid. They are very different. 

You would like her, though. She is quite a fan of thigh boots.  She even wore a pair to see the Queen once.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I was less than thrilled when she took over but I have to admit I have been grudgingly (favourably) impressed since. I think comparisons with the Iron Lady are inevitable, but not really valid. They are very different. 

You would like her, though. She is quite a fan of thigh boots.  She even wore a pair to see the Queen once.

Shyheels and I would agree except for the part about being grudgingly (favourably) impressed.  Initially she's not David Cameron, and that's a relief, until you remember how terrible she was in government.  In preparation for meeting Trump this week she's taken the trouble to look as slippery as her shiny pink predecessor, then pulled off the trick of patronising herself for being a woman.  You can imagine, I'm cock-a-hoop.

To get back on topic, I wondered today if his fly had broken and he was wearing his tie long to hide it.  Also, does he buy especially long ties?  Do tall men buy longer ties than short men?  A warped mind might imagine something akin to waterboarding, with Trump astride the victim's head as he lay on the floor, Trump's tie tickling the nose.  I apologise if I've destroyed your sleep.

• Like 1

Inauguration day was not the first time I have seen The Donald wearing a tie that hung down below his crotch. He seems to like to wear them that way. Maybe he gets his ties cut six feet long - he could certainly afford custom ties - but as far as I know ties come in the one length. Seven-foot basketball players might have to find longer ones, I don't know. Trump is tall, but not that tall, being about 6'3".

I think he's just a boor. I know that if my kids wore their school uniform ties dangling down like that they'd be told pretty smartly to re-tie them. Nobody tells the president of the United States this, more's the pity.

• Like 1

Watched your PM's speech yesterday and was very impressed.  Funny, I never heard of her until BRXIT caused your Govt to collapse.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

58 minutes ago, HappyinHeels said:

Those who disliked Trump may focus on the necktie while those who liked him are focused on the ties which bind us together. We'll be fine. HappyinHeels

I disliked both of them - - - Boy am I screwed.

• Like 1

Would those ties that bind us together be handcuffs by any chance? :cheeky:

To be fair, I'll say this for Trump - he is actually delivering on his campaign promises, a rarity for any politician, and, as a journalist of many years, I recognise when a guy is getting screwed by the media.

Edited by Shyheels

17 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I recognise when a guy is getting screwed by the media.

Well I hope the media is learning to not chase after bright shiny objects and recognizes "alternative facts" when they are presented, otherwise it will be the public getting screwed and one wonders if how the E.P.A. is fairing under their gag order.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

7 minutes ago, Thighbootguy said:

Well I hope the media is learning to not chase after bright shiny objects and recognizes "alternative facts" when they are presented, otherwise it will be the public getting screwed and one wonders if how the E.P.A. is fairing under their gag order.

Oh, I am not for a moment suggesting the media should not be hard on him and chase up the many, many things they ought to be chasing up. Not for a minute. But they are being as bad as he is in terms of playing stupid games - except it's worse in their case as they, or at least some of them, should know better.  They screw him over gratuitously in lots of dumb ways, and then give him a pass on things that really matter.

You don't wear your powerful tie dangling down below your lap - at least you don't if you hope to look even vaguely like you belong at the negotiating table with the other grown ups

Edited by Shyheels

The tie thing does not bother me in the least - I don't get hung up on the small stuff, bigger fish to fry ya know....  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"