booted guy on my flight today

pebblesf

I was working up front today, and was thrilled to see a guy boarding the plane with what looked to be knee high riding boots that had feminine styling. The fellow wore the boots over his pants, so I was envious of his courage and confidence as well.  I couldn't help myself, had to say something, so I smiled and said something like "great boots".  The tall man smiled, but continued on his way by me to the middle of the cabin.  After I served everyone drinks up front, I set out in the main cabin with a trash bag with an eye out for the booted gentlemen.  I found him sitting in an aisle exit seat, with the great boots on display.  I gave him a thumbs up and quietly commented:  your boots are great.  Again, he smiled but said nothing. 

I was really hoping to strike up a conversation with this fellow, but decided not to bother him further, and avoid being "creepy".  I kept my eyes open for him during deplaning, and simply said goodbye avoiding further compliments about his boots, he smiled and left.  Oh well, I think I made the right choice not pursuing a conversation, but can't help wonder what would have happened if I did....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Well, I guess I felt he might not have appreciated me calling attention to his boots, or maybe he feared I was hitting on him or being a creep....Oh well, like you say, I tried....

Or it could be that this was everyday attire for him that he didn't consider special or out of the ordinary.  How would you have responded if someone commented to you, "Nice shirt"?  Most of the folks on this board (unlike the rest of the world) notice boots and heels and think they're special.  Some folks just might think they're normal attire.  How many folks here have commented that they would like to be able to wear boots/heels out and about without drawing any attention?  (I really think we want people to notice, but that's a whole other subject. :penitent:)

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Well, he was a very tall black man, wearing dark jeans tucked inside the cool boots.  I would say the fellow was about 30yrs old, very nicely dressed, and had a great smile.  I should have offered him a free drink, why am I just thinking of this approach now!  Oh well, I guess I was worried the fellow viewed me as "creepy", and wanted to avoid that. 

pebblesf,

You did exactly the right thing by showing a positive acknowledgement but didn't take it to the point of perceived nosy behavior. Don't worry about "drawing attention" to his boots. He's an adult and knew exactly what he was doing when he put those boots on. You accepted him on his terms and that is precisely what he was looking for. Hell, that's what really any of us are looking for but it can more elusive for some than others.

Sydheel,

love your boots with that chunky heel. I have two pair similar to those.

HappyinHeels

• Like 1