Jeggings- To tuck or not

Schnubab

Hi all, so a bit of a personal question this one.

I recently bought my first pair of jeggings, and noticed that the "bulge" that is not too visible in the likes of say skinny jeans is somewhat evident with jeggings. So this has led me to start "tucking" when I am going to wear something like jeggings and I was wondering whether any other members have had the same issue and if so, how they go about it.

Ah, the old "to tuck or not to tuck" debate. I'm with you on this one--I don't like the bulge. Not that I am unhappy with my own plumbing and gender, I just don't like the way it looks with such slim clothing. My solution is to not wear the things that show too much of me, or to simply cover it up with a long shirt or sweater. Other, more radical, solutions I find to be too uncomfortable.

On the other hand, there are those who enjoy showing off, perhaps in the same way that a woman might enjoy showing cleavage up top, but it's not for me.

I don't know if what I am about to say is correct or not.  We are used to seeing women with those types of leggings and of course they look way different than we do.  Society has told us that they look great but us men don't look so good because there is a bulge in our pants.  

I like to wear leggings very often and find that we have to get used to looking differently.  Like wearing heels it will be a little bit of a shock at first but who's to say that at any given time women will not find it nice or even attractive. 

I know that I may be deviating from the main topic but I find that we should be able to show what we've got.

On 11/25/2016 at 2:10 AM, mlroseplant said:

Ah, the old "to tuck or not to tuck" debate. I'm with you on this one--I don't like the bulge. Not that I am unhappy with my own plumbing and gender, I just don't like the way it looks with such slim clothing. My solution is to not wear the things that show too much of me, or to simply cover it up with a long shirt or sweater. Other, more radical, solutions I find to be too uncomfortable.

On the other hand, there are those who enjoy showing off, perhaps in the same way that a woman might enjoy showing cleavage up top, but it's not for me.

I too have made use of longer tops and coats that would cover up the area, but I must admit, I do from time to time wish to wear shorter clothing that fits just a bit more snug to create a streamlined silhouette.

16 hours ago, Thighmax said:

I don't know if what I am about to say is correct or not.  We are used to seeing women with those types of leggings and of course they look way different than we do.  Society has told us that they look great but us men don't look so good because there is a bulge in our pants.  

I like to wear leggings very often and find that we have to get used to looking differently.  Like wearing heels it will be a little bit of a shock at first but who's to say that at any given time women will not find it nice or even attractive. 

I know that I may be deviating from the main topic but I find that we should be able to show what we've got.

For me it is all about trying to go for a smooth lined body shape and for me personally I do not like having my bulge on display :P When I look at myself in the mirror it's as if my eyes are automatically drawn to it as it stands out and does not compliment the clothing silhouette that I may be going for. On the other hand, I do also think it would help others be a little more accepting of my clothing choice as it would give them less reason to say I should not be wearing that type of clothing.

12 hours ago, aristoc said:

Prefer one less battle of the bulge to worry about for me in tight skinnies. Nice smooth lines preferred so 'giffgaff' is my friend. 

Smooth lines all the way! I am learning the way of the gaff ;) 

16 hours ago, Thighmax said:

To say it's a bit of a shock at first glance is understatement when i observe others reactions of me wearing them. Depending on the environment your surrounded in. Reactions can vary from being utterly upset having a woman scream  almost knocking me off my feet from her decibel level. Others may only quietly ignore me, while others smirk saying, they don't mind it.

You will never satisfy people with your attire whatever the style or gender.

After reading this post i boarded a train from work to go home. Seen a black young 30 year old male sitting across from my seat about 20 feet away. He was well groomed shaved head, leather short jacket moto, black suede loafers with gold accent matching his leather purse on his lap. At first didn't feel he was shockingly wearing anything out of the ordinary only dressed totally in black and his pants were short and snug wearing no socks. His atitude was smiling upon everyone suppose he was judging there appearance comparing himself, undoubtedly he was attractive from my hetrosexual opinion.

As i kept looking more i noticed he was sitting with his thighs and shoes oddly for a male tightly close together as most woman do in a skirt with heels etc..  Then he stood up letting someone sitting beside, having space to exit out. My eyes bulged out seeing this young man was wearing black leggings with faux back pockets. He was about 6 feet tall with lean well toned legs similar to a  fit 16 year old girl, with narrow hips.

He had confidence to wear it and was not ashamed wearing a short jacket showing off his buttocks, didn't look at his bulge. He didn't feel he was self conscious at all in fact was revelling in it.  He walked off the train on his toes as though wearing heels. He showed a body language, mannerisms  of a very feminine woman, or stereotypical portrayal of televisions  flamboyant gay male. 

Seeing others observing they didn't even notice or care what he had on, although one look towards him many might believe he might be flamboyantly gay so no laughter or finger pointing was done or stark stares. Even myself trying not looking, but focused on some females sitting nearby him, while taking glances  from time to time.

So i get it wearing leggings can make others feel uncomfortable around you. Some pretend not to notice but in reality they do, it's difficult not to show some facial reaction or opinion either a big smile thumbs up, or the simple trying not to look, ignoring you holding in the many thoughts, opinions of a male in leggings.  

So can people get comfortable or use to seeing a guy in leggings i doubt that very much. My thoughts is i wear them almost daily at the gym but also have to be aware some locations (workplace) or types of people (kids) may not be suitable wearing them. Some say if you got the body you might as well show it off. In my case i hear haters complaining about me to others but replies back are, i don't care, or if i looked like him, i be showing it off also. 

So yah! show what you got and let the chips fall where they may. Sooner or later you will get feedback one way or another. In my case i look at myself knowing i got faults but also see others having them also females in particular. So none should pass judgement that someone should look or wear certain things only because it flatters their body better than others.  It's only someone's opinion some people like the colour red others hate it, doesn't mean you can't wear red. 

My peeve of people wearing leggings is they match it up with athletic sneakers looks as they are about to workout. The real deal is they wear them as casual attire and have no intentions to workout or do anything athletic. Only reason i see this phenomenon is to be provocative and very comfortable. It annoys me when i see females at work wearing leggings or shopping.

One female told me reason she shops in leggings is trying on clothes is quicker and less disgusting. Meaning she felt when putting on clothes that others tried on could give her some skin rash or disease that transferred onto the garments.  After thinking about it makes sense who knows how many women tried on some skinny jeans and left some sort of  virus transferred onto the fabric waiting for you to try on next. Yuk is the word yikes..

Edited by MackyHeels
  • Like 1

I would tuck, I know underwear is not discussed here but something snug should take care of everything. Seeing as girls worry about "camel toe", I think a man's bulge is something that would not look good in jeggings / leggings so anything to sort out your, ahem, cargo is appropriate if you choose to wear such. I wear a skirt so if I am in a formal pencil skirt then I take care of how the contour of my skirt is... I thought the thread was about tucking the jeggings into boots...:nono::cheeky: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heelsrus2000 said:

I thought the thread was about tucking the jeggings into boots...:nono::cheeky: 

HA! SURPRISE!

I think we're doing a pretty good job so far of keeping this a reasonably clean, "how do I achieve this type of look" discussion. The LAST time we had this discussion, it kind of devolved. Let's keep our fashionable aspirations!

• Like 2

From my modest upbringing, I think jeggings, leggings, and tight skinny jeans should present a smooth front (if the front is not already covered by a long top) as they were designed to do.  How that effect is achieved is up to the individual wearer.  If your wearing them with boots or heels, they should be the center of attention.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Go to pinterest, search for "dos donts jeggings" ... and you would find a gazillion of photos how to wear them. One very common theme that applies both for jeggings and leggings: Wear a top that is long enough to cover the front of the jeggings/leggings, e.g. a very long turtleneck. This way, you don't have to think about tucking.

Why do women prefer to wear a longer top with leggings/jeggings? -- as much as the front might look smooth, there is also no space for imagination left when looking at the booty. For slim women, that might be a nice look, but 90% of what I've seen literally asks for a longer top. Very visible when standing in line at a fast food restaurant... :baking:

• Like 1

Hmm! A most interesting topic. Just to toss in my two cents worth, I guess it all depends on how you want to be perceived while in public, and if you worry about displaying your....plumbing while wearing skin tight clothing like jeggings. If you're concerned with your image, or seek to present a smoother, sleeker profile, then, by all means, go ahead and tuck, it's the wise thing to do. Now, as someone who wears skirts out in the open, including some rather snug denim numbers, I don't worry about that bulge, I don't pretend to be anything more than a guy in a skirt, so I don't much worry about how I'm perceived. But, hey, wearing long sweaters with jeggings is a nice combination. As for gaffs, I've never used one, so I have no idea what that's like.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

It is clear that there are various viewpoints on how one could present themself in a pair of jeggings or leggings, i.e. tucked or not. I personally think it is better for me to present a smooth lined appearance and I for now will make do so with the use of a gaff as well as tops with a longer length.

I recently got a few new pairs of heels and will take a few pics when I get a chance to show the effect. :)

8 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Is that really comfortable 

It takes a little bit to get used to it (not sure whether you've looked intothe particulars of tucking), however, it's not actually uncomfortable at all I find.

• 5 weeks later...

If they are tall boots you should generally tuck. If they are ankle boots you cuff the jeans and let a sliver of skin show. If they are in between, tucking is still the best option as you can only cuff your jeans so high. Another option is boot cut jeans but this is about jeggings.

3 hours ago, aristoc said:

Great fashion advice there Robbie. Spot on. 

Although I fear this is more of a plumbing issue further up the drainpipe. :shocked:

Lol yes, i thought i'd offer the other tucking advice too - You'd maybe would be surprised how stretchy many skinny jeans or jeggings are though and some of us have little of that offending equipment to worry about. I also still stand by by thought that many wear long tunics or sweaters anyways :)

Edited by robbiehhw

• 2 weeks later...

I go the dance belt route.  No, they don't flatten the bulge.  They are more like a brassiere smoothing out the explicit details and providing support.   But With the likes of Errol Flynn gracing the screen in "Robin Hood", Burt Lancaster doing likewise in "The Crimson Pirate" and widespread annual performances of "The Nutcracker", it has a solid track record of enabling thin skin tight bottoms to earn a family friendly "G" rating.

I do like idea of using tunic length tops to cover the area.  It starts working the "what I'm not showing" mystique that my wife disapproves of as too racy.  Its practice by the ladies does get me going and like my mama always said to me: "Turn about is fair play".