President Trump! Say it ain't so!

On 10/11/2016 at 11:19 AM, maninpumps said:

Megan , Americans do have the right to vote absentee ballots

I know, I was making a point about what Bubba had said before.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:26 AM, at9 said:

I think somebody has failed to spot the joke. We'll even include some tea in the deal:fine:

Careful, now!  You know where this went last time.  I don't think the tannin agrees with them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amanda said:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-pumps/ivanka-trump~7093

I noticed these the other day while shopping online.

I have to say I do like the idea of less world war with trump and the helm.

I also never liked the idea of TTIP.

No doubt the new First Lady will do much do much for heels!

3 minutes ago, Amanda said:

Yes I think it's time they sorted themselves out.

Industrial military complex is not what we need on our planet.

Eisenhower said exactly the same thing sixty years ago, urging people not to let those guys get too powerful. And Eisenhower was a man who knew a thing or two about the military!

Edited by Shyheels

I agree totally. I wonder how, when and if reality ever returns, and indeed what will constitute "reality" in the future. I keep seeing references to a post-truth world. 

As a journalist of many years experience I now find myself in a position of doubting or just plain disbelieving almost anything I read of the election coverage and transition. 

Edited by Shyheels

19 hours ago, Amanda said:

A post truth age. Hmm, now there's a thought.

Haven't they always been lying?  (Oh dear, did I say that out loud?  But I don't think I've been found out)  Not that I'm interested in how earthlings think, but what are these 'situational ethics rules'  you speak of?

Edited by meganiwish

Situational ethics are those wonderfully flexible sets of morals that bend and warp to meet the circumstances of the moment and thus still keep you within a broad and loosely defined morality. Those situations when your idiosyncratic set of ethics tells you it's perfectly acceptable to lie, cheat, deceive, steal etc. No absolutes. 

Yes, politicians of all stripes and business leaders, public relations flacks, marketers and advertisers have always lived in a post-truth world. It's just that nobody thought up a smart-clever term for it

21 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Situational ethics are those wonderfully flexible sets of morals that bend and warp to meet the circumstances of the moment and thus still keep you within a broad and loosely defined morality. Those situations when your idiosyncratic set of ethics tells you it's perfectly acceptable to lie, cheat, deceive, steal etc. No absolutes. 

Ah, amorality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meganiwish said:

Ah, amorality.

Precisely. But situational ethics sound better as it suggests you do indeed have ethics of some sort.

As a journalist I always thought that Ethics was a county in England. I was in my forties before someone told me otherwise... :-)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Precisely. But situational ethics sound better as it suggests you do indeed have ethics of some sort.

As a journalist I always thought that Ethics was a county in England. I was in my forties before someone told me otherwise... :-)

It was there that the girl went to the doctor with a chest infection.  He put the stethoscope to her and said, 'Big breaths.'  'Yeth, and I'm only thixthteen.'

Shyheels. Love the comment about "Ethics' being a county in England. Just brilliant. I am a big crossword fan and in one book of crosswords I frequently buy, one clue that often appears always makes me laugh - A county in W England - answer Essex. Really? You could not go further EAST in England than Essex.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nyenor said:

Shyheels. Love the comment about "Ethics' being a county in England. Just brilliant. I am a big crossword fan and in one book of crosswords I frequently buy, one clue that often appears always makes me laugh - A county in W England - answer Essex. Really? You could not go further EAST in England than Essex.

Essex, Middlesex, Wessex, Sussex but no Norsex. I always found that strange.