Top Ten FAQ's & My Answers

HeelsWearer

I've worn high heels daily for over 30 years now. Needless to say, over that period of time I've gotten a lot of questions about my shoes. Here are the 10 most frequently asked questions and my answers (always given with a smile):

(1) How high are your shoes?  6 inches (sometimes I'll add in they have a 2 inch platform)

(2) How do you walk in them?  I don't walk in them, I teeter-totter in them (usually gets a laugh)

(3) Don't they hurt you're feet? Some days yes and some days no (I usually say whether that particular day is a yes or no)

(4) When did you start wearing shoes like that?  Freshman year of high school

(5) How long have you worn shoes like that? For over 30 years now

(6) Do you have any foot or back problems? Not yet, knock wood (again, usually a chuckle)

(7) Have you ever fallen in them? Yes, I've had my share of falls over the years but that's part of the package

(8) Do you ever wear flats? I don't own any

(9) Why do you wear them? At that point I slip out of one shoe and stand next to them (all 4'10" of me) and they usually say, "Oh, I see why"

(10) Can you drive with those on? I do but I learned to drive wearing high heels

That about covers it for the most often asked questions. I do get some off the wall questions occasionally but not as often as these :fine:. Does anybody else have a FAQ that I don't have? Have a great day, Carol

• Like 9

Interesting post.  You must be around more inquisitive people than I am, or people are expecting a gal to be wearing heels and move onto more interesting questions.  All I have ever gotten are #2 and #3.  I do remember getting #6 one time but I think the questioner was a doctor.

• Like 2

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Very cool topic indeed.  Wish I was more confident while wearing boots, but have only had one comment....A drunk guy in the elevator with me said:  "nice kicks"....

I think he was being sincere because he had enough to drink to lose the usual masculine inhibitions....

• Like 2

My wife gets the same questions..or the most common phrase "I don't know how you walk in those". Lol. If they only knew her husband walks around in the same height of shoes. Hers put her at 5'6" and mine at 6'6" or 6'7" depending on which heels I am wearing. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, HeelsWearer said:

I've worn high heels daily for over 30 years now. Needless to say, over that period of time I've gotten a lot of questions about my shoes. Here are the 10 most frequently asked questions and my answers (always given with a smile):

(1) How high are your shoes?  6 inches (sometimes I'll add in they have a 2 inch platform)

(2) How do you walk in them?  I don't walk in them, I teeter-totter in them (usually gets a laugh)

(3) Don't they hurt you're feet? Some days yes and some days no (I usually say whether that particular day is a yes or no)

(6) Do you have any foot or back problems? Not yet, knock wood (again, usually a chuckle)

(7) Have you ever fallen in them? Yes, I've had my share of falls over the years but that's part of the package

(9) Why do you wear them? At that point I slip out of one shoe and stand next to them (all 4'10" of me) and they usually say, "Oh, I see why"

(10) Can you drive with those on? I do but I learned to drive wearing high heels

That about covers it for the most often asked questions. I do get some off the wall questions occasionally but not as often as these :fine:. Does anybody else have a FAQ that I don't have? Have a great day, Carol

Hey HeelsWearer,

I love your answer to Question 8. It's inspirational!!! :happy: 

• Like 1

I'm impressed with the inquisitive nature of the people you've met in your travels. I've only gotten questions 2 & 3.

• Like 3

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I've had 1, 2, 3, and 9 many times, asked by strangers, and 8 and 10 fairly recently, asked by people who know me. I have one friend who actually wanted me to wear different shoes because I would need to drive. I was wearing 4.5" wedges. She did not believe I could drive in them. People are funny.

• Like 2

I've got an idea. Why don't we keep this thread going and anyone who has said they've been asked certain questions and want to participate give us your answers to the people who ask you questions. I'd love to hear what others have to say. :cheeky:

• Like 4

Sounds like a great idea HeelsWearer, always good to hear from everyone about there interactions.

On 10/27/2016 at 6:56 AM, HeelsWearer said:

I think the only question I have been asked is number 2, I replied " its takes a bit practice it is not that hard" and that was from My brother in Law.

I have had comments but not necessarily questions. 

Great post HeelsWearer, I like the challenge too!

• Like 1

(1) How high are your shoes? nothing under 5". 5-6" for daily wear, 6" and up for special occasions.

(2) How do you walk in them? I have proportionately short legs and extremely reliable balance so I am meant for heels.

(3) Don't they hurt you're feet? Not at all.

(4) When did you start wearing shoes like that?  First time was in 1971 as a child, in public since the late 1990's.

(5) How long have you worn shoes like that? For about 45 years.

(6) Do you have any foot or back problems? No.

(7) Have you ever fallen in them? No

(8) Do you ever wear flats? Only to work or other situations with family members.

(9) Why do you wear them? Same reason the women wear them.

(10) Can you drive with those on? Yes, and many other daily activities as well.

I have only been asked 1,2, and 5. The question asked of me by far isn't even on here and that is "Where do you wear them and what do you wear them with?"  The question has only been asked by women and they seem to be genuinely interested in the fashion angle: other clothing accessories, etc.   HappyinHeels

• Like 3

I must say, you went above and beyond in answering the questions :cheeky:. You must have extremely good balance if you've gone 45 years and never fallen in your high heels. I consider it a streak if I go 3 years without twisting, catching my heel, or just stumbling.  Here's a general comment: It seems a lot of guys haven't had a lot of these questions asked of them. My thinking is that because I'm in public and interact with the public on a regular basis I get to know a lot of people. I think eventually one question or another comes up. Another possibility is that men in high heels is not an everyday sight. I'm sure people notice your shoes but are hesitant to ask you about them if they don't know you. I for one would have a great time complimenting a man in high heels and I'd even stick out a heel and challenge him to a "who has higher heels on." :fine:  HappyinHeels, I may end up on the losing end if I challenged you!!

Edited by HeelsWearer
  • Like 6

HeelsWearer,

I do have great balance or so it seems to others though it seems just normal to me. Played football and baseball in my youth and was always hard to knock down and can scramble up rocks and trees even now.  Maybe it's the Native American/Canadian or it's just good balance I'm not sure but it is a strength I would say. Wearing heels is just an expression of who I am. No challenges inferred spoken or otherwise. 

Don't know why there is a dearth of reaction. It could be there is no time to react or they are not committed enough to react positively or negatively.

Thanks.  HappyinHeels

• Like 1