Permanent Heels

Dancer Girl

Anyone here have an issue with walking without heels?  Over the years I have become more and more dependent on heels and currently my heels are close to 2" off the ground. I have tried going back to wearing lower heels to re-stretch my tendons but to no avail.  Find that as I age I need to do more exercise and without being able to wear runners I am limited to some yoga at home and swimming.  I have recently found a trampoline park that allows me in barefeet but that is 30 minutes away.  Have tried over the past several months but does not seem any better. Any ideas?

I don't have any ideas other than seeing a doctor or physical therapist. I wear high heels daily but don't suffer to the extent you do. I can go barefoot with my heels on the floor for about 15 or 20 minutes before I start getting cramping in my Achilles and arches. How long have you been wearing heels and how long ago did this condition start? I only ask because I've read you can stretch yourself back to standing flat-footed. Best of luck. Let me know how you make out.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem. My doctor gave me stretching exercises to do which were uncomfortable, he also told me i wouldn't be able to wear heels again once I managed to stretch down so I didn't bother with it. Then a couple of years later I saw another doctor who told me that I would still be able to wear heels or not as I wished. He gave me similar stretching exercises and advice which I stuck to and now I can go barefoot or wear flats if I like. I do still get pain if I make the transition from heels to flats too quickly so at the end of the day I do a wee bit of stretching while sitting down after taking them off. Not sure I'm going to start investing in flat shoes though. Everything is the wrong height and my feet are too long and I feel unbalanced in them. But hey I'm free!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I'm forced to do a lot of stretching daily between heel changes.  I also hike in hiking boots regularly.  At this point I can confirtibly wear 6inch+ almost 24/7 but still be comfortible in flats.  The streaching really helps and keeps my feet flexible.  Since I don't wa t to be forced to wear heals when I'm 80 years old I think keeping my feet flexible is important.  My husband forced my feet to stretch when I get home from work before my ballet boots go on.  

• Like 1