wambound37

Hi all I hope some of you can share some of your experience with me. Which are more painful to wear; seven inch pointy stilettos with no platform or ballet heels? Of course with training they can both be tolerable just want people's initial thoughts when they first started wearing them. 

Many thanks in advance,

Wambound37 

I have no experience with either style (5 1/2" is my limit) but before you start wearing either style, first locate the closest Emergency Room. :penitent:

31 minutes ago, wambound37 said:

Which are more painful to wear

Shoes aren't supposed to hurt, they're supposed to look good.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

34 minutes ago, Thighbootguy said:

I have no experience with either style (5 1/2" is my limit) but before you start wearing either style, first locate the closest Emergency Room. :penitent:

I'm not planning anything yet I'm just intrigued. Thanks for the reply tho 

Edited by wambound37

5 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

Methinks with these kind of heels comfort is not part of the equation. You wear them because they look good. The fact that you have to endure the pain may be even part of the equation.

I generally don't go much past 5.5 either (i may have a 6 in the collection some place) and have never worn ballet heels, but just looking at examples of both, i'd say the ballet heels when laced tightly would transfer more of your weight off the front part of the foot. Of course that would transfer it to the calf and the heel and that would have it's own challenges.

Ballet boots do not put bend your ankle as bad as 6"+ heels, and it is possible to get the padding right so you can 'walk'. Longest I went was 45 min before having to sit. I kept losing my second toe nail trying that though, so lost interest.

I put walking in quotes as it is not a graceful movement, but it is forward movement.

• Like 3

(formerly known as "JimC")

I rejoice that a number of you can wear such extremely high heels. For me to wear the high heel shoes with the sloping needed to negotiate the height over 16cm is more than the physical mechanics of my feet and ankle construction will allow. Even the wearing of my 6" stiletto single soled pumps hasn't gotten me anywhere close to feeling I could think of wearing them for the public venues that I already enjoy wearing my 4 to 5" stiletto heels at.

I have never tried ballet heels and have only one pair of single-sole sandals at 5" high. Everything else is a wedge, pump, boot, or sandal with some sort of platform from 3/4" (1.7cm) to 4" (10cm) high. The lowest heel of any kind I own is a  pair of mule slides from Target (the only pair my wife ever got for me ) from Target at 4.5" high. Everything else is 5-8". 5-6" is for everyday wear, 6-7" is for going out to eat or movies and above 7" is for clubwear or in the bedroom with the wife. I wouldn't get something I couldn't wear out somewhere because of the pain. HappyinHeels

I agree, even though my height is 4.5 to 5.25, I know I look goofy when I go higher. And if you know you look goofy there's no way to cover that up. Also only well fitting heels 5 to 5.25 will look right. 

I rarely wear anything higher than four inches as I do a lot of standing and walking while on my little adventures, and I value comfort over heel height.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

10 hours ago, JeffB said:

I rarely wear anything higher than four inches as I do a lot of standing and walking while on my little adventures, and I value comfort over heel height.

Ditto 

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

On 8/29/2016 at 7:50 AM, Carherine said:

I wear 3 to 4" heels every day. For me, no sense in hopping around. I would rather be more graceful. 

And from this guy's perspective, I'd rather see a lady in a pair of heels she can walk in - gracefully and (at least) reasonably comfortably.  She will be more willing to wear them more often and for longer periods of time rather than rushing to get them off her feet because she can;t stand it any longer.  So more power to you Carherine!

I'm usually 5" minimum and can walk fine in my single sole 6-1/4 and 7" platforms.    I agree with you guys that lower the heel if you can walk better and be comfortable.  BUT,,,,,,, there is a small voice inside that is saying "it's better to look good then feel good".  Lol

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CAT said:

I'm usually 5" minimum and can walk fine in my single sole 6-1/4 and 7" platforms.    I agree with you guys that lower the heel if you can walk better and be comfortable.  BUT,,,,,,, there is a small voice inside that is saying "it's better to look good then feel good".  Lol

I'm with you buddy, but get so disappointed when I get a pair of boots that are difficult to walk in.  There is such a variance in fit/ease of walking between brands and heel styles.  I'm still looking for 6" boots that I can walk comfortably, and with confidence.  I wish my feet were bigger, I still say that larger feet have an easier time in higher heels. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, thighhighboots said:

I think it just depends on the outfit, the mood, and what you are planning on doing in them.....  :fine:

I know what I would like to be doing in them !!!!!

• Like 1

On August 30, 2016 at 4:49 PM, RonC said:

And from this guy's perspective, I'd rather see a lady in a pair of heels she can walk in - gracefully and (at least) reasonably comfortably.  She will be more willing to wear them more often and for longer periods of time rather than rushing to get them off her feet because she can;t stand it any longer.  So more power to you Carherine!

Thank you. 

My wife always selected shoes color and style to accent her dress.  Heel heights were mainly a comfort consideration.  Heel Height, really not as important as overall fashion appropriateness, decreasing with her age.  I guess that's why they're listed as "accessories in the female fashion world.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

To me those kinds of shoes just look like high heels taken to the point of parody.  I read somewhere that Christian Louboutin said that 120mm or five inches was about as high as heels should go because beyond that they lose their proportionality and sense of elegance. I would agree with that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shyheels said:

To me those kinds of shoes just look like high heels taken to the point of parody.  I read somewhere that Christian Louboutin said that 120mm or five inches was about as high as heels should go because beyond that they lose their proportionality and sense of elegance. I would agree with that. 

Not sure if Mr. Louboutin has made exceptions to that rule, but some of his heels look really high.  To my eye, the line gets crossed at anything much above 4".  But we all have our likes and dislikes!  :cheeky:

2 hours ago, RonC said:

Not sure if Mr. Louboutin has made exceptions to that rule, but some of his heels look really high.  To my eye, the line gets crossed at anything much above 4".  But we all have our likes and dislikes!  :cheeky:

It depends on the length of the foot. My size 11 look great with 5 inch heels much like size 6 with  4 inch heels. 

3 hours ago, RonC said:

Considering he's put out a few models listed as 130mm, with size 40 Hot chicks being measured closer to 137mm. But to go with his point I've not seen people walk in them as gracefully as 100-120mm.

(formerly known as "JimC")

On 9/1/2016 at 10:50 AM, RonC said:

Yes, everyone has their own taste for sure, and for many, it evolves with time. For me, at this present moment, anything less than 4 inches in my size 9 looks short and stumpy to me, especially if it has any sort of platform. Maximum height that looks "right" to me is about 5 1/2", with a very few exceptions. Having said that, my skill set does not extend to actually being able to function in 5 1/2" single-sole shoes, and probably never will. However, I like the look of a 5 1/2" heel, so many [make that "all"] of my shoes in that height range have a 1" platform, give or take 1/4". Even these require constant practice, as I discovered last week when I pulled out some sandals with a 4 1/2" difference between the toe and the heel. I have been lazily casual this summer, wearing a lot of wedges with much less steep angle most of the time.

Having just done a shoe inventory, 90% of my collection falls between 4 1/2" and 5 1/2" in heel height, with a definite cluster right around 5", give or take 1/8".