Feature in Atlantic Magazine

Shyheels

I read the entire article and, while indeed filled with interesting details, it nevertheless gave only a passing mention to someone other than women wearing heels. I found the article perpetuated the notion heels are for and worn nearly exclusively by women these days. AN article of that length could have covered how men have been used in recent fashion shows from Milan to New York sporting jackets and pants and sky high stilettoes. It could have covered the increasing number of men who have been buying heels in retail stores all over the place. It could have done more to inform people about another segment of society for whom heels are popular. Alas, it did not go quite that far and that's a shame.  HappyinHeels

Well, that may be because the overwhelming number of people who do wear wear heels, in public anyway, are women. I have travelled widely in the course of my work, to over 100 countries, and I have never yet (personally) seen a man wearing heels in public. I don't dispute that there are cultural changes taking place, such as you describe, but it is coming from a very low base. As you say, it was a long article and adding 500 words to discuss what an editor will almost certainly decide is a side issue was never really going to be on the cards - assuming the writer knew about and was interested in pursuing it, that is.