Woman fired for not wearing high heels

at9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36264229

"A London receptionist was sent home from work after refusing to wear high heels, it has emerged.

Temp worker Nicola Thorp, 27, from Hackney, arrived at finance company PwC to be told she had to wear shoes with a "2in to 4in heel".

When she refused and complained male colleagues were not asked to do the same, she was sent home without pay.

Outsourcing firm Portico said it set the uniform rules for staff supplied to PwC but would now review guidelines."

I wonder what they would have said if a man had turned up for a comparable job wearing heels:)

Not sure about the exact legal position in the UK but it's running very close to sexual discrimination. In any case the outsourcing company has been made to look stupid in public.Not sure why PwC should be outsourcing that kind of job anyway except for temporary cover. If I was running a company I'd want the public/client facing jobs to be directly employed.

I believe they were within their rights as employers are allowed to set dress codes. The requirements can differ between the sexes as long as the standards are of equivalent degree of smartness. Somehow I doubt the company would feel that a man turning up in 4" heels would represent a similar degree of office smartness, or indeed any degree of smartness at all.

In this particular case the exact legal position looks unclear. Generally in the UK it may be possible for employers to enforce wearing of heels though they must take health and safety into account. I think it would need a case to be brought to an employment tribunal (not applicable in this case) or court to set a legally binding precedent. Or parliament could legislate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36265545

http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/ltext/117-know-your-rights.htm

There have been several news reports in the UK regarding sexual discrimination in school uniform. Here's some:

http://blog.policy.manchester.ac.uk/posts/2016/03/the-battle-over-skirt-only-uniform-codes-does-it-matter-who-wears-the-trousers/

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/school-uniform-is-a-feminist-issue-and-confining-a-little-girl-to-a-skirt-is-sheer-unkindness-10515695.html-0

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8504552/Boy-wears-skirt-to-school-in-protest-against-discrimination.html

This private school has introduced some very fair policies:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/20/brighton-college-axes-uniform-dress-code-accommodate-transgender-pupils

Edited by at9

I think the particular companies dress code needs revising. Perhaps 'dress shoes' should be stated rather than 'high heels' in the dress code. For some even 2" heels can be uncomfortable, and up to 4" could be awkward. Then factor that into a full working day. Each individual has their own comfort factor and that really has to be considered when forming dress codes. I've worked for very large companies in the past, and all have stipulated 'dress shoes' for both men and women. The ladies have all worn a variety of shoes from flats to 5" heels, depending on their own preferences, all within what anyone would define as 'dress' footwear.

My question is, what was the company trying to acheive by enforcing heel heights??

Edited by Northeasthee

I understand that women face discrimination in the workplace, on many fronts and in many guises, and I deplore that, but by and large when it comes to corporate dress codes they have it pretty easy. In most offices - the overwhelming majority the traditional suit and tie, in sombre colours, are de rigueur for men. No option, ever, not even on the hottest and sultriest of days. The corporate equivilent of a burka. Women on the other hand can and do wear quite a wide variety of outfits to work, in pretty much whatever colours they fancy, and whatever best suits the weather. 

This is wrong in my opinion and a vestige of a dying patriarchy. Whatever dress codes are created should apply completely equally to both genders. This includes men wearing skirts, kilts etc, and women in suits and wingtips.

I do agree that dress codes in general should tend toward the more casual. Formal business dress creates another level of "have and have-nots" in society. Make no mistake about it, it was always meant to. 

Here in the Pacific Northwest, i can say that it is largely gone. You can see executives in jeans most days of the week. The suit still makes an appearance in government and a few related businesses, but by and large it is gone. I notice the difference between Seattle and Washington DC for instance, is fairly great in dress code. Elsewhere the more casual look is catching on. Even the traditional business casual of men in khakis and polo shirts is being challenged. 

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

You don't see that sort of thing in London, at least not in The City.

You don't find heels and dress up folks here. Maybe some of the church crowd. Hec, Some guys think dressing up consists of putting on a clean baseball cap, and work boots that don't have mud on them.

I wouldn't be surprised. There didn't seem to be a lot of personal animosity there, just some jobsworth enforcing what amounted to a silly policy, one that apparently was not a policy in the office where she was being sent. 

Edited by Shyheels

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:55 PM, robbiehhw said:

This is wrong in my opinion and a vestige of a dying patriarchy. Whatever dress codes are created should apply completely equally to both genders. This includes men wearing skirts, kilts etc, and women in suits and wingtips.

I do agree that dress codes in general should tend toward the more casual. Formal business dress creates another level of "have and have-nots" in society. Make no mistake about it, it was always meant to. 

Here in the Pacific Northwest, i can say that it is largely gone. You can see executives in jeans most days of the week. The suit still makes an appearance in government and a few related businesses, but by and large it is gone. I notice the difference between Seattle and Washington DC for instance, is fairly great in dress code. Elsewhere the more casual look is catching on. Even the traditional business casual of men in khakis and polo shirts is being challenged. 

Robbie,

I agree with you. You won't find me wearing a suit and tie to the office. Jeans and casual tops, shorts (often with tights or pantyhose), and heels are the rule. I even keep a spare pair of heels at the office, under my desk, in full view of anybody who stops to visit.

Steve

• Like 1

I have the pleasure of working from a home office when I am not travelling which means I can wear whatever I like, usually boots, jeans and a jumper. I do not even own a tie.

Talk about dressing for work - I read a story today about poultry workers in the US who are obliged to wear diapers to work since they are not allowed bathroom breaks. Now that is nasty... Puts the kerfuffle about wearing heels into perspective.

I'm wondering if this was a deliberate set-up by the woman concerned, a 'wannabe' after her fifteen minutes of fame. To be honest I used to like it when in 'the good old days' the majority of women wore heels (and skirts) to work. Perhaps that's because I'm an old 'fuddy-duddy in their seventies.

• Like 1

Certainly possble. Social media makes it easy for anyone to achieve fame or notoriety with but a single post and no doubt plenty of people do just that. As to the attractiveness of women in heels and skirts that seems to be the point the feminists are railing against, as though attractveness was inappropriate in the workplace. It isn't or shouldn't be. As anyone with a lick of sense knows, male or female, looking sharp in the office is a big key to success. Ideals of attractiveness tend to be fairly steady through the years and while there may be sexual undertones to it, and elements of gender stereotyping, of both sexes, for the most part it is not about sex. We live in a visual culture.

Overlooked in all the feminist umbrage is the fact that corporate men are subjected to at least as much, possibly more, pressure to conform and appear a certain way - as cookie cutter executives dressed conservatvely in suit and tie, to all appearances the ideal loyal unflinching cogs in the company machine, the very incarnation of the 50s breadwinner.

I agree killer heels. I read recently that according to the 'experts' the high heel has had its day for the time being. It stated that even for evening wear the trainer (sneaker) is king. Even showed some pictures of fancy ones with diamentines (? spelling), cut out toes and heel areas, etc. As I've stated on thsi forum before, in the city I live in the heel seems to have been dead for many years. I occasionally go into the city in the evenings and from the 'hundreds' of women there, many smartly dressed to go clubbing, you could count the number wearing 'proper' heels on the fingers (and that would not include the thumb) of one hand.

On May 12, 2016 at 6:36 PM, nyenor said:

I'm wondering if this was a deliberate set-up by the woman concerned, a 'wannabe' after her fifteen minutes of fame. To be honest I used to like it when in 'the good old days' the majority of women wore heels (and skirts) to work. Perhaps that's because I'm an old 'fuddy-duddy in their seventies.

Our national news is now reporting That the workers for this company do not belong to any Union and this incident was, in fact, produced to call attention to the "less desirable" working conditions with the intent to get workers to join the union.

A spokesman for the company (which,incidentally, is a European owned corporation) outlined the working conditions practiced by their management which are much more generous than those demanded by the union, which results over the past 12 years in workers constantly defeating Union attempts to unionize the plant.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

11 hours ago, vector said:

Actually - Canada.

Have to wonder if this was the first job she ever had in heels. Also wonder if the shoes fit properly.

Something just doesn't sound right from reading this article

Steve,

You should come out from behind the desk and take your act to the stand-up stage. Strap on those heels and make us laugh. Call yourself the newest member of the Columbus Comics? The Granville Gagster? The Clown in Clogs?  Your humor is an untapped resource which could help get us through our darkest days. Think of the possibilities: Hosiery sales by day and clogged comedic relief by night. Simply brilliant!!!!!  HappyinHeels

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 0:12 AM, nyenor said:

I agree killer heels. I read recently that according to the 'experts' the high heel has had its day for the time being. It stated that even for evening wear the trainer (sneaker) is king. Even showed some pictures of fancy ones with diamentines (? spelling), cut out toes and heel areas, etc. As I've stated on thsi forum before, in the city I live in the heel seems to have been dead for many years. I occasionally go into the city in the evenings and from the 'hundreds' of women there, many smartly dressed to go clubbing, you could count the number wearing 'proper' heels on the fingers (and that would not include the thumb) of one hand.

Unfortunately so.. I hope the situation will change. Seems even slim. ..glamorous young women on a night out  will do anything to avoid  wearing proper heels these days. 

On 11/05/2016 at 5:04 PM, Shyheels said:

I understand that women face discrimination in the workplace, on many fronts and in many guises, and I deplore that, but by and large when it comes to corporate dress codes they have it pretty easy. In most offices - the overwhelming majority the traditional suit and tie, in sombre colours, are de rigueur for men. No option, ever, not even on the hottest and sultriest of days. The corporate equivilent of a burka. Women on the other hand can and do wear quite a wide variety of outfits to work, in pretty much whatever colours they fancy, and whatever best suits the weather. 

Always enjoyable to see a WASP complain about discrimination ;)

Edited by meganiwish

9 minutes ago, meganiwish said:

Always enjoyable to see a WASP complain about discrimination ;)

Who says I am a protestant?

And the enforced wearing suits jackets and ties, and the resentment thereof, is hardly confined to WASPS! 

It's a real bee in my bonnet, so to speak