One Doctor's Opinion

Steve63130

I found this quote on the internet today, in an article on foot care:

"You Can Wear High Heels

"Women ask me all the time if high heels are bad for their feet, and I tell them, 'Not necessarily.' If you're heading to a party or a job where you'll be sitting a lot, it's fine to wear a two- to four-inch heel. It's when you stand or walk in them all day that it becomes a problem. High heels put pressure on your Achilles tendon and may cause your feet, knees, and hips to become overworked—which can lead to posture and balance issues. Your feet also may not absorb shock as well when you're wearing heels, which can be painful. So you should only stand in them for two hours, if possible. Then, when you get home, stretch out your Achilles tendons and run some cold water over your feet and legs for 10 to 15 minutes. It'll soothe any pain you're feeling. And if you just can't resist dancing the night away in a pair of heels, choose a sturdy wedge to lower your risk of what I call a 'Gloria Gaynor fracture.' It's hard to pay attention to your feet when you're getting down to 'I Will Survive,' and you might twist an ankle." —Rock G. Positano, D.P.M., M.P.H., director of nonsurgical foot and ankle service at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City"

Steve

• Like 2

So I wonder, is this a case of picking and chosing till we find a doctor who says what we want to hear? That because one doctor goes against countless others it now has to be true? The Internet Has Therefore Spoken?

In the end though he doesn't say that much that goes against established medical opinion. Don't wear heels that are high (2" to 4" are hardly high heels), don't stand on them for all day and take time to recover. In this case using cold water. Hardly a flaming endorsement of high heel wearing. I suspect he just changed tactics, instead of telling people not to wear high heels, knowing the aficionados will not listen anyway, he hopes giving safe guidelines will fall less upon deaf ears.

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Sugar, bacon, coffee, alcohol, fizzy drinks, fruit juice, red meat, spaghetti sauce...the list of things that are bad for you grows and grows and grows. 

Thank you for illustrating my point exactly. :cheeky:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Sugar, bacon, coffee, alcohol, fizzy drinks, fruit juice, red meat, spaghetti sauce...the list of things that are bad for you grows and grows and grows. 

Whoa! You forgot tobacco! LOL

Steve

On 03/05/2016 at 3:48 AM, Steve63130 said:

Whoa! You forgot tobacco! LOL

Steve

On 03/05/2016 at 5:24 AM, Shyheels said:

Left that one out deliberately. Figured that one genuinely is bad for you - in a more serious sort of way.

Bait taken. :)  I read a piece recently about the EU banning the advertising of e-ciggies, the nicotine for which comes, of course, from tobacco (as does the nicotine in gum and patches).  The author told of how he sat in a caffeine fuelled  meeting where no-one seemed aware of the irony that they were talking about the dangers of a drug taken in doses too small to be harmful.  Disassociate the nicotine from the smoke and the harm largely disappears.  The e-ciggie people have found a safe way of using tobacco, as did snuff users before them.  Smoke your coffee and you'll get your caffeine.  You'll get emphasema too, unless you're one of the ones who lives to be ninety and doesn't.

Edited by meganiwish

I recall reading where the world's oldest recorded human being, a French woman named Jeanne Calment, quit smoking at the age of something like 114. I guess by then the damage had been done. She lived only another eight years. Tragic. A life cut short by tobacco. 

Yup I think it depends where the Doctors live and practice. Most of them near my town (read, very much country) do not even know what a heel is not along make a positive/negative comment about them. As Swedeheeler said,  "Ergo sum. To live is dangerous :lol:"  I agree, everything we do can lead to death if you want it to. I have seen some very good looking women Doctors wearing outstanding heels and said to self, wow she looks amazing in those heels! I think their opinion would be worthy of comment as well!  Thanks Steve for the quote!

Just back from an exhilarating bicycle ride through town and country - wonderful for being fit and healthy, and can also easily kill you. On bicycles, as in life, it is a matter of finding the right balance...

Edited by Shyheels

14 hours ago, mtnsofheels said:

...everything we do can lead to death if you want it to.

Life: a 100% fatal, sexually transmitted condition...:fine:

• Like 1

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

22 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I recall reading where the world's oldest recorded human being, a French woman named Jeanne Calment, quit smoking at the age of something like 114. I guess by then the damage had been done. She lived only another eight years. Tragic. A life cut short by tobacco. 

Yes, she lived to 122.  I read a wonderfully angry piece by Katherine Whitehorn in The Observer, who was livid that the woman's doctor had advised her to give up smoking at the age of 117 (what's three years between friends?).  It is hard to imagine that the man had any grasp on reality, yet he was allowed to practise medicine.  It tells you all you need to know about the antis on any position.