Being Camera Ready

Thighbootguy

I was listening to a commentary on NPR and a young lady (millennial) was speaking about political figures and millennials in general and how, in this time of social media, they have to appear "Camera Ready" at all times.  Being a "baby boomer", the idea of looking presentable most of the time was the standard I was used to, but taking it to the "Camera Ready at all times" level presented a new challenge.

Many of us have posted about the concern of being photographed while wearing our heels.  I think it is time we give up on those concern and assume we will be photographed and the pictures will show up on someone's posting somewhere.  I think it's time for us (heelers) to adopt this new level of social presentation and be Camera Ready at all times, after all there are a lot of millennials out there and I don't think anyone can win a battle against the picture taking craze.  I also think the millennials are less concerned about what you have on your feet then most other age groups .

On the positive side, if you expect to be photographed while you are out, it is one less thing to worry about.  Smile and look confident; it makes a better picture.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I have had the "experience" of being photographed while in heels several times.  There may have been other times when I was photographed unknowingly.  When I was photographed, it was done without my permission or being asked, which did irritate me.  One of the times I looked at the person taking the picture and by my look made it obvious that I knew the picture was taken.  The person looked shamed and walked away before I could say anything.  Another time I said nothing, took out my camera and began taking a picture of the person who was photographing me.  The guy started laughing and went away.  He seemed like a jerk.  Unfortunately there are some jerks out there, but most folks are pretty decent.  

I would imagine that there are some pictures "out there" of me wearing high heels, I have yet to see any posted, but then again what would the chances be??  Pretty slim I imagine.  I think it would be fun to see them and the context that they were posted.  

But like you said Thighboot, I can and do expect to be photographed, and always wear my heels wth confidence.  Have fun all...  sf 

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Often walking in heels your gone before a person gets the chance to take a photo. Even if they're behind you phone out in hand the quality of the picture of your backside won't be great and who cares, if your face isn't seen. 

The worst is when i'm in my gym gear, female beside me laying on a matte has her phone pointing in my direction. Can't know precisely for a fact someone is taking a picture but when they point the phone in my direction stare at the photo and do it over again suspicion arises. 

Very odd behaviour for a woman that seen me for years wearing tight gym female clothes yet i change the color of my shirt to a pinkish, raspberry tone this is a moment to recognize and photograph. What's with that? Seeing other woman pause and stare upon what i wear but other times never giving me the time of day only a slight glance recognition.  Only because i wear a pinkish colored top. 

My theory why known women react in such surprising manner to me, only because i change into a feminine colour of pink, they believe having exclusive domain to wear themselves. These reactions i'm getting recently is surprising but similar if i wore stiletto heel not to workout of course but on the street. Goes to show me the prejudice a male faces from most females only because the colour he chooses to wear. Funny thing is i wear exactly the same type of gym clothes only in black, grey, blue no reaction but choose pink there is a consequence that entails. Totally ridiculous...

Although i do this on purpose sometimes understanding human behaviour getting a kick out of it. For example i took some advice on wearing colours for a particular day online. Usually i don't follow such frivolous actions but i knew many woman do. Friday woman wear pink only showing their fertility and so on the article reads. Guess what many women in my gym wear shades of pink on Friday and seen more than the usual amount even exact brand color and hue i wore also.  Yes, i gotten laughed or overhearing it was funny seeing me dressed like that and chuckled upon as woman passed wearing exact same color. 

2016-colours.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 7.51.14 AM.png

ivivva-by-lululemon-size-14-reverse-me-ls-reversible-top-blue-stripe-pink-62e14baae2971d319938c8dd23c80967.jpg

I have a pink turtleneck I wear occasionally and it's no big deal. Never had a negative comment, but I did have a positive one not too long ago. Like wearing heels, you just have to act confidently and nobody else cares.

Steve

@MackyHeels

There are various types of pink. When I looked at the picture "lulumum", I got the feeling that if I stare into that picture for longer than 10 seconds, I am going blind :cheeky:Toooooooooo much highlighter-type pink.

The shirt you are wearing is a quite nice shade of pink, a little more subtle. I like that very much.

I wear pink just as any other color, but I have to admit that I mostly have pink business shirts, not so many T-shirts, etc. - but simply because most men's longsleeve T-shirts come in colors like black, gray, blue and white, whereas the pink T-Shirts from the ladies-section often have huge neckholes which extend way further down to the bust area. I like that your shirt actually seems to have a "men's" neckhole compared to the usual bigger women's one.

Edit: You are in your 20s or 30s, right? Please don't say that you are in your 40s given that slim figure... geez... I really need to start working out more...

3 hours ago, freestyle75 said:

@MackyHeels

There are various types of pink. When I looked at the picture "lulumum", I got the feeling that if I stare into that picture for longer than 10 seconds, I am going blind :cheeky:Toooooooooo much highlighter-type pink.

The shirt you are wearing is a quite nice shade of pink, a little more subtle. I like that very much.

I wear pink just as any other color, but I have to admit that I mostly have pink business shirts, not so many T-shirts, etc. - but simply because most men's longsleeve T-shirts come in colors like black, gray, blue and white, whereas the pink T-Shirts from the ladies-section often have huge neckholes which extend way further down to the bust area. I like that your shirt actually seems to have a "men's" neckhole compared to the usual bigger women's one.

Edit: You are in your 20s or 30s, right? Please don't say that you are in your 40s given that slim figure... geez... I really need to start working out more...

Thanks for the input but i can't show my picture on that i maybe banned. Did show a torso picture of me in a post and gotten reprimanded. The photos are of others but i can attest the color is similar and physique. Some members here  can concur seeing my earlier banned torso picture.  Yes i'm over 40..:shocked:. While i'm sure some MILF at my gym sneaked taking a few blackberry phone pictures of me laying on a matte. She probably using them on facebook to show her friends laughing of a freak she has to tolerate using the gym matte next to her. Bet she is asking her friends isn't this boy pretty in pink.:confused:

While the neckline isn't a problem on many woman tops i've bought Varvatos shirts with similar styles. Yes, people are stunned when i wear such open wide shirt even though it's made for men. 

Working out more doesn't hurt anyone, if in doubt always keep moving. We all can rest when we die. 

baa74dab9c7111aee0a54474ec47b631.jpg

Who knows what type of notoriety will come from anyone's appearance in today's photo recordings. From the time you enter a public venue till the time you leave, expect your image to be on video files in some photographic storage facility with some sort of referencing tag. May your countenance inform and inspire others with the idea that high heels are being chosen to accent male outfits, as well as female attire.

On February 20, 2016 at 3:02 PM, MackyHeels said:

Very odd behaviour for a woman that seen me for years wearing tight gym female clothes yet i change the color of my shirt to a pinkish, raspberry tone this is a moment to recognize and photograph. What's with that? Seeing other woman pause and stare upon what i wear but other times never giving me the time of day only a slight glance recognition.  Only because i wear a pinkish colored top. 

My theory why known women react in such surprising manner to me, only because i change into a feminine colour of pink, they believe having exclusive domain to wear themselves. These reactions i'm getting recently is surprising but similar if i wore stiletto heel not to workout of course but on the street. Goes to show me the prejudice a male faces from most females only because the colour he chooses to wear. Funny thing is i wear exactly the same type of gym clothes only in black, grey, blue no reaction but choose pink there is a consequence that entails. Totally ridiculous...

2016-colours.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 7.51.14 AM.png

ivivva-by-lululemon-size-14-reverse-me-ls-reversible-top-blue-stripe-pink-62e14baae2971d319938c8dd23c80967.jpg

I find your experience very odd indeed, as pink has become quite acceptable for men to wear in the last few years, even on the construction site! Just a few short years ago, I was the only male out there wearing a pink shirt on the job (not every day, obviously). Today, there are many brothers who wear pink to work. Of course, we can thank the Breast Cancer Awareness campaign for that. 

15 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I find your experience very odd indeed, as pink has become quite acceptable for men to wear in the last few years, even on the construction site! Just a few short years ago, I was the only male out there wearing a pink shirt on the job (not every day, obviously). Today, there are many brothers who wear pink to work. Of course, we can thank the Breast Cancer Awareness campaign for that. 

Only answer i can give to the woman's odd behaviour is utter shock or disappointment that the colour stereotype directly assumes my sexual preference. So too reactions when a male wears stiletto heels.  

Once before i wore exact same magenta pink tank top, observed closely woman's reaction was solace with disappointment. Summed it up as female desires for me crashed and burned, only what the colour pink represents when worn by a me.  :confused:(Sorry ladies a guy in heels or wears pink is gay):roll: of course that is utter nonsense but a lot of woman believe it..

Do agree breast cancer awareness month in October wearing pink socks, armbands, headbands, ribbons are acceptable for male to attire even applauded.

In my case i just enjoy poking evoking  any reaction from few women who are haters at my gym. Whenever a male wears what woman enjoy be it particular colour or heels, leggings, making them feel sexy that no man could possibly wear. Once they see me they often get upset discussing it to friends explaining why it is bad idea. Often i overhear discussions and disagreements ensue  amongst the women. One woman was giving me the open mouth stare telling her friend, she finds my clothing terrible. Yet her friend disagrees knowing the clothes i wear are nice and many woman envious to wear it themselves. With further discussion the hater admitted saying, i had okay body,  her friend convinced or conceded  that i didn't look all that bad. 

Tells me something, that sometimes women who protest way too much, or get angry for no reason  for only what i wear, have deeper issues. My belief is they desire me all too much but have objection being seen talking to me, only that they look as  encouraging my appearance. Sort of if the female hater is seen chatting with me in heels or pink top and tights she must like the appearance, which evokes reaction from others making her an oddity or freak like myself. 

In other words i evoke dissonance and some women find that feeling really new never having that sensing it before. Sometimes they laugh it off to one another, trying to hide their underlying feelings which they don't want to admit to themselves. Not to sound conceited but i never heard haters bad mouth my body at the gym in fact it's the opposite. Just enjoy the internal battle woman struggle to figure me out, do they love me or hate it....:wink:

Getting a little bit more back to the original topic, I never thought about it before now, but I guess I do try to look "camera ready" when wearing heels. Every once in  a while, I'll need to go to the grocery store or something, and I don't feel like getting dolled up enough to wear heels, so I won't. What a terrible feeling! But better than being caught on somebody's camera disheveled and sloppily dressed wearing heels. That would not do the cause any good!

All,

Get ready for a dose of frank observation as I look out on our US world in 2016;

If I had to guess what causes the territorial type of reaction by some women  to men wearing pink I would guess it has a nexus to the whole breast cancer campaign which has been commercially overblown. If a man were wearing the same pink to show solidarity with women it would be taken differently but only in that context. Breast cancer is not a new malady but the industry surrounding it is. Medically speaking men also get breast cancer but most of society is uncomfortable talking about it or blissfully ignorant of this fact. Granted the male version is not common and men would not have the stigma or trauma like women suffer when they must undergo a mastectomy but the coverage is certainly slanted their way. In today's world compassionate news coverage is afforded those groups still portrayed as minorities such as women, blacks, hispanics, Muslims. People outside these groups don't seem to have the same priority. How many stories do you see about problems in the Asian community? Persecution against Jews? The assault in general against Christians in the United States? Things affecting men in general, particularly white men, are not afforded the same compassionate coverage. It has become a warfare of one class versus another. I study the media in depth every week and the analysis of the content is eye-opening. The calibre of what passes for journalism now is appalling. I think I'm watching graduates of the TMZ/Jerry Springer School of Journalism.

Massive amounts of money are wasted on generic cancer research and the hierarchy that feeds off of it. I used to donate money until two different cancer survivors (cured by holistic methods and not chemo) urged me not to. Look at professional sports (the NFL especially)  and the over-the-top wearing of pink to show solidarity with women. How many women are wearing the colour that symbolizes men's prostate cancer? There's my point. A man wearing something other than a dress shirt or tie in a bright pink is inviting derision by the fairer sex as they equate the colour with their unique battles. What else would explain such a reaction to a colour?? I said in  another thread equality is great when everyone is clamoring for it but the old maxim "some people are more equal than others" is still evident in many places if one just looks for it. It may offend some but I do not own offensive bones. What IS offensive is when people know or suspect they  are being lied to and choose to not acknowledge it. Use all your senses and you'll be amazed at what you see.  Never vengeful, always vigilant,    HappyinHeels

11 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

How many women are wearing the colour that symbolizes men's prostate cancer?

Since this is light blue, there are quite a lot of people wearing it, probably not having any idea that it symbolized anything.

Awareness Ribbons

Although pink and light blue are both photogenic colors, we seem to have strayed from the threads topic of being ready to have your picture taken when you go out.

Has the proliferation of cameras changed the way you look when you go out?

Has it changed whether you go out at all?

Since there is little defense against having your picture taken, what is the best strategy when you know it is being done?

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I really concentrate on being presentable at all times, for work or casual, even at the gym. I dress 100% femme but not particularly dressy or formal. I wear pink, i wear floral designs, i have some great wedges that have a nice floral design. 

A few people have snapped my pic in the past, no biggee to me.

TBG,

I did go a bit astray but it is related. What we wear and how we wear it is about being camera ready. We all want to feel and look good as we go about our errands, travels, and just living our lives so there is an aspect of not being fearful of an occasional camera. The point is whether a man dons heels or wears pink he is expressing fashion artistry. I imagine the ones that are honest people will take the clearest photos because they do it with  your approval whereas those not having your approval will photograph from a distance or do it on the move resulting in blurry photos.The technology is all around us for sure. Letting strangers whose opinions will never be published and whose lives are want of substance matter in your fashion choices is a useless pursuit. Encouragement and positive reinforcement is the fuel the world needs more of! HappyinHeels

• 3 weeks later...

I've had folks snap my picture while out and did not care. Often i would wave. This happened more when my hair was shorter and i was presenting more masculine, but it still does occur. I think the last time was xmas shopping, which was funny because i was dressed pretty casually.

"What if" i took a picture of a woman dressed really well?  Something i pondered today as a hypothetical, of what could of happened.... 

Was in the parking lot walking towards the entrance of Whole Foods today. In front of me was a beautiful female tall wearing patent 5" pumps with black tight skinny painted on cotton jeans with black top. She was wearing a Khaki blazer which was well fitted, brought a bit of contrast to her monotone black outfit. While i was admiring and desiring to wear her pump heels observing everything, her short stride, being it just rained and walking  off the curb sidewalk, onto the parking lot asphalt.  What intrigued me was what if i pulled out my phone taking a picture of this lean sexy, leggy  female? Changing the dynamic of how we feel getting our photo taken wearing not traditional clothing for a male.

She was wearing a traditional male outfit a blazer coat even though made for a woman no doubt, still a masculine style to be sure.  What if i laughed at her, seeing she was shuffling her feet beware of the wet surface stepping down the sidewalk curb onto the pitched asphalt parking lot as she may fall down and slip.  Wearing a stereotypical male coat me pointed it out to her saying ha, ha, with my ignorance, that's a dudes blazer.... you have on...:giggle:... thus a photo...

Yes, this would make me a redneck but she would probably ignore thinking i'm no fashion guru, woman can wear a male suit blazer and do make them for females.  While others walking towards the store may notice my ignorance or lack of respect come to the side of the beauty queen. Which we all know if you're attractive enough people tend to side with them and being female often helps... Traditionally men fend for themselves while woman are pandered and adored making them feel safe. 

While doing the opposite giving the female a smile saying,  "can i say to you, looking exquisitely  beautiful today, not seeing many woman these days wearing heels.... :thumbsup:.. Would you mind if i took a picture, you look assume.:smile:...... What would the outcome be? While i did dress down wearing my Lacosta grey sneakers and J-brand ONYX wash legging jeans which might of been tighter then her black ones just a tad. Then again i might of said wish i can wear those heels too... The reaction would be predictable as we all know or experienced...:-?

fall-outfit-idea1.jpg

3-Edit5.jpg

3402548e676ce88e86ab910dc54498f8.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well, it's never happened to me personally. Being transsexual, I'm sure some people know. Or do I just blend in. Women will come up to me and tell me I'm beautiful. It is because I'm beautiful and trans, or just beautiful. Any advise I could give, is wear whatever you want. But expect some negative attention, just like women experience.  People stare because the uniqueness or jealousy. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi I'm Carol and I'm new to this board. I have been reading many of the posts this weekend and have found it interesting. I never gave much thought to a man wearing high heels, but I say "why not?" Go for it if you like it. I've seen some very attractive pictures of men with heels on. Yes, be camera ready, smile and be proud of who you are. A question for all of you:

When you wear your heels do you feel like a man who wears and prefers heels or do you feel more feminine? There's no right or wrong answer, I'm just trying to get an understanding of how you feel. As a woman I can say they do make me feel more feminine, confident and overall better. However, full disclosure, this may be due to the fact I'm only 4'10" and feel inadequate without heels on. My 6 inch heels get me up to an acceptable 5'4". As I wrote in my introduction, if I were 5'6" tall I'd probably live in flats. But I do think high heels do add an attractive look to males and females.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeelsWearer said:

When you wear your heels do you feel like a man who wears and prefers heels or do you feel more feminine?

For me it isn't an "or" question, and the answer is yes. 

Your "Go for it" and "Being proud of who you are" comments just about sums up most of the advice offered on this board.  Your advice to smile is also well taken because in today's world we are are almost always on camera, and if were are not folks appreciate a smile anyway.

• Like 2

Thanks Thighbootguy for the kind reply. As I said, this site opened my eyes to a whole different world when I came across it last week. I find it fascinating, especially the insights and perspectives from the guys. I worried I sounded too general and/or too judgmental with my comments and question but you helped relieve my worry. I see you have over 3,500 posts so you've been at this awhile! I'm looking forward to getting up to speed and sharing my experiences and learning from everyone else's. Have a great day, Carol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HeelsWearer said:

I'm looking forward to getting up to speed and sharing my experiences

And we are looking forward to that also. 

• Like 2

Like Catherine , i rarely had any negative comments on what i chose to wear from men or women.  (Even before i transitioned to female) I've had looks of surprise, many double takes and nudges to their partner, and lots of positive comments. These easily drown out the negative experiences.

On 03/10/2016 at 9:33 PM, hh4evr1 said:

@ HeelsWearer

i'm just a man who just likes to wear heel without feeling feminine. I usually wear block/wedge/thicker heels for public wearing. Worn with men's clothes only. 

same with me.  i just see heels as a different fashion

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/3/2016 at 2:07 PM, HeelsWearer said:

... However, full disclosure, this may be due to the fact I'm only 4'10" and feel inadequate without heels on. My 6 inch heels get me up to an acceptable 5'4". As I wrote in my introduction, if I were 5'6" tall I'd probably live in flats. But I do think high heels do add an attractive look to males and females.

Carol:   Sorry to disillusion you, but you will not get an extra 6" of height by wearing 6" heels - anatomy and geometry see to that, alas! :oops:  I doubt that you will add more than about 4.5" - but it's a start!   Maybe some 7" heels are needed?   :cheeky: