Healers profile raised in UK

UKboots

Hi all, 

here in the UK we have a TV show named First Dates, it's a show where 2 people meet for a first date and we watch the date unfold. Recently there has been a breath of fresh air breathed into the show from a guy named Paolo who wears heels and is not afraid to tell people.

I watch this show with my wife so of course stirred up some interesting thoughts. Like I've said a few times I'm pretty sure my wife knows that I have worn or do ossasionally wear heels when she is out so sitting next to her when Paolo appeared on our screen saying his name, how he's looking for love 'oh and I also wear high heels' was let's say a slightly awkward moment.

part of my just wanted her to say something to me about what she deep down knows what I do and that heels are a part of my life, but although I didn't get that she did really like Paolo and was finding him being honest about his heels compelling. She was even gutted for him when his first date rejected him because of his love of heels but also rejoiced when the next week he met an new date and he was much more open to his love of heels.

Even my son who happened to be with us a watched it didn't say anything negative but sort of accepted it.

maybe things aren't as bad as we/feel when it comes to being a little different than the norm....if there is a norm!

Go UK for raising the profile :)

• Like 2

I agree with kneehighs 

For the straight guy who likes women's heel and boots the shows basically a false association it basically is saying that any guy who like that type of stuff is not straight 

Definatly a bad stereotype that heels =gay. I am 100% straight male that has been out in many different outfits from miniskirts and fishnets to thigh high boots. Many of you have seen my pics in my albums.  But never have and never will fully dress. I am a guy in heels that's it  not trying to pass as a girl or made up like one.

I think the big reason why people don't like guys wearing heels is because all the ones that are seen on tv or shown are always weird meaning they aren't like the normal average everyday guy who likes sports,cars,video games ect. most of them are the fethish type or not straight and also want to pose as a women at the same time .

Lol, now I feel I have it totally wrong. You are all very correct, really in this instance again the idea of it's OK for a man to wear heel is maybe because of the fact he is Gay.

I think the reason I personally saw it as a little positive step was because of my wife's reaction and also my teenage son's reaction who by the very definition would be one of those people who would laugh at a man wanting to wear heels but the surprise was he did not.

Again, maybe because Poalo is Gay. Gay or not though, good on him for going on TV and owning his love of heels.

:)

UKboots,

It appears the show did nothing to move the pendulum of fashion-forward thinking in the UK. One way to help actually "raise the profile" is to raise your part of it. You are a cog in the wheel that make up the 60 million people that call the UK home. Change starts in your own household and then with another, block by block, and neighbourhood by neighbourhood and so forth. Equating one's choice of footwear with sexual orientation doesn't seem very European at all. It is akin to pronouncing all women wearing pants as lesbians. The conclusion appears as inane as the one making it. You are playing a fools game and travelling a primrose path if you think your heel-wearing will go undetected much longer. Your decision to wear heels is no violation of any British law, written or unwritten nor of the spirit of the Magna Carta and QEII will neither care or be offended if you partake of heels or not, the choice is completely yours. Take it and enjoy life or live in the shadows forever. Your desire to wear them will never go away and you just understand this right away. Nearly any member here will tell you this. Think about it is all I ask you to do. HappyinHeels

• Like 1

Interesting.....   "Paolo" is gay and likes to wear heels....   I am straight and I like to wear heels...   Hmmmmm, interesting....    sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

There are a LOT of straight guys on this forum who will attest that wearing heels does not mean one is gay, nor does it make one gay. Logically why would it? If you were a gay guy you would want to be attractive to another guy by looking masculine, not feminine. There really is no correlation between the clothes people wear and their sexual orientation.

Conversation:

Him: "I see you're wearing high heels. Are you gay?"

You: "No, I'm not gay. But I do have a gay friend and he has that same exact shirt you're wearing..."

Get the point?

Steve

• Like 2

Steve63130

haha love it.

And of course like all other men who wear heels and are straight I too am straight, 13 years married and 3 beautiful children. Like you all I just love high heels, the experts have many assumptions as to where someone first looks when they meet a person, be it introductory or passing in the street, the eyes, teeth, face, chest ect.....for me it's always the footwear first. If I'm in a public place and hear the sound of heels I have to see what they are and who is wearing them. 

But yes, I too am totally straight, just love heels and like some on here say 'why should the girls have all the fun'

:)

let's be honest here, no TV shows in the UK, or US, will ever show a straight male who wears what a woman wears on her feet, because that would be a big crushing disappointment, why, because a straight male who wear's heels is just like any man who is married, and does not act like an eccentric, or a diva, or acts strange, would never fit their entertainment profile, did Bruce really need to changed his gender, just because he liked to wear dresses, well yes, why, because if Bruce wore the dress with some male clothing, that would not be entertaining, or fascinating, to view, and brings in the ratings, shows like first date, and the Kardashians, show how much narcissism their is in this part of the world, and both shows give us what expensive stuff they wear, young women and girls seem to live in a bubble, and try to live out that bubble, and it all comes crashing down on them.

@Rick24 yes I completely agree with you pretty much summed up what I was trying to say in my other comments. The media won't show a str8 guy who likes heels  and fashion. If they do it's rare if you watch any fashion shows on tv all the guys on there are mostly gay and there the over the top gay ones to. What the media should do I show normal guys who like this stuff. I'm talking about like your normal average day guy who likes sports but also like heels. If they did that it would probely bring more understanding to this subject. But then again we have girls who make fun of guys who wear uggs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new is learnt from the show only advertising the stereotype of some males wearing heels have attraction for the same gender. Although it shows even with the same sexual preference two men have opposite opinions of what they find attractive and comfortable to wear or appropriate.

Only lesson learnt from this is let people pre-judge  me for whatever i wear. It shows me what character people have when they shun or ignore, dislike only because i wear something not traditionally male. Often then not people who overlook it or don't care what i wear are much better human beings. Those who are happy for me seeing my clothing what seems unconventional for my gender, are often impressed that i have the courage to wear what i feel like. 

While those who need to voice their displeasure through laughter i haven't come to handle that eventuality very well.  Suppose that is some of the reason why many people dress down not wanting to be laughed upon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11698798/I-wore-high-heels-for-a-day-and-it-was-a-painful-experience.html

It's a shame that whenever one of these guys does g this sort of thing they don't have a clue on how to walk in heels having never worn them and always wear the most difficult and goofy styles possible making the experience that much more difficult. 

9 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

It's a shame that whenever one of these guys does g this sort of thing they don't have a clue on how to walk in heels having never worn them and always wear the most difficult and goofy styles possible making the experience that much more difficult. 

That is what I was about to say.  How absurd is that.  Most who have worn heels for years wouldn't attempt to walk around town in what he was wearing.  Of course your feet hurt, you moron.  How about maybe trying a pair that a typical businesswoman would wear to work.  Something a bot more typical and without the theatrics.  Quite honestly, this crap pisses me off.

Well, as it goes without saying, until male heel wearers stop acting in a manner which the general public perceives as typical behavior for males wearing heels, true acceptance will never be forthcoming.  Crude, rude, weird and totally unrepresentative attention getting behavior will forever be identified with acute sexual dysfunction, worthy of the looney bin.  Given the social stigma currently connected with males wearing heel, is it any wonder that so many members of this website do not want to be seen wearing heels in public or to have it known by those closest to them that they even have any interest in high heels?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

The nail in the coffin came when Daniel tried to explain further.

“It’s just because it’s not normal,” he said – before immediately regretting his choice of words. “No no that’s wrong, I mean it’s- that’s not- I shouldn’t have said that, not normal, it’s not common.”

I found this the most interesting part. Proving that even people who claim to be at the receiving end of prejudice are not above it themselves. Both interesting and sad at the same time.

• Like 2

freedom of expression as enshrined in customs written and unwritten around the world results in the spectrum we see from the extraordinary and beautiful to the awkward and idiotic. Like Steve Martin said to John Candy in "Trains, Planes, and Automobiles"....'when telling a story try to have a point. It makes it so much more interesting for the listener!" :)   HappyinHeels

• Like 1