Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meganiwish

Member Map

Question

Is there any way we could have the Member Map back?  It was rather fun and I have all sorts of new ideas for its use.

23 answers to this question

I am currently awaiting lots of addons to be updated to this new version.

Please let us know what gets added.  I really don't like the contemporary learning technique of learning by discovery.

I vividly remember going to a seminar on Quest's "Toad for Oracle" with 200 DBAs in the room and having the presenter doing a live demo where he would click on a few things and half the room would say, "I didn't know it would do that."  He would click on a few other things and get the same "I didn't know it would do that" chorus.  This went on for 90 minutes.  At the end I told the presenter (who was from Quest) that they had a great product but lousy documentation.

Sorry for the digression.

No, no, digression is a fine thing.  And I agree with you that learning by discovery can sound uncomfortably like being left to find out.  If it were guided by skilled teachers, now that's a different matter.  It isn't normally, is it?

I love the lyrical incomprehensibility of your post.  I have no idea what Quest is, nor Toad for Oracle, nor do I know what a DBA is, but I'm glad to live in a world where 'toad for oracle' means something to someone.  I just have a mixture of Kenneth Graham and Delphi in my mind.

23 hours ago, meganiwish said:

I love the lyrical incomprehensibility of your post.  I have no idea what Quest is, nor Toad for Oracle, nor do I know what a DBA is, but I'm glad to live in a world where 'toad for oracle' means something to someone.  I just have a mixture of Kenneth Graham and Delphi in my mind.

It's an acquired thing Megan - - I understood it completely, and also can comprehend the "I didn't know - - " also.  Finding out that there was an easier way is always a pain after doing things the hard way for so long.

On 1/12/2016 at 9:53 PM, meganiwish said:

I love the lyrical incomprehensibility of your post.

I will take this as a high complement and offer my apologies.  In my world I used to rail against the use of TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) and here I unleashed one, DBA (Data Base Administrator).

On 1/12/2016 at 9:53 PM, meganiwish said:

I'm glad to live in a world where 'toad for oracle' means something to someone. 

By the way, my favorite author was James Thurber of "My World and Welcome to it" fame (also the book). My favorite Thurber story is "The Night the Bed Fell" of which Keith Olbermann does a somewhat fair reading.  (That being my favorite may explain a lot about me).

In fairness, Data Base Administrator hardly leaves me any the wiser, but thus is the modern world, I suppose.  I grew up with 'Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.'  We used it as a skipping rhyme.  At least you know what they did, though at that age I probably had doubts about the tinker.  Who can guess what a Data Base Administrator does?  It scans dreadfully, too.  Anyway, I'm not convinced about database being two words.

I did enjoy the story.  James Thurber is new to me, as is 'My World and Welcome To It'.  I was an eight year-old Briton in 1970 and we knew not of such things, so fame was perhaps an overstatement.  My American reading is woefully thin, in English, at least.  Steinbeck and Harper Lee, 'On The Road', that sort of thing.  I suppose I know more from films.  Talking of Harper Lee, Mum asked me what I'd like for Christmas and I said I'd like a copy of Go Set a Watchman.  I read an extract in the paper when it was released and it didn't really grab me, but I have to read it.  It dawned on me that what I wanted for Christmas was Disappointment.  In return I got Mum a pair of slippers, which was just what she wanted.  I'm playing the game wrong, aren't I?

1 hour ago, meganiwish said:

Who can guess what a Data Base Administrator does?

Actually not many folks can (or want to).  The DBA is a designer that figures out how data is stored so it can be retrieved quickly and maintained easily.  For example it would be a poor design to have your Username, Gender, and Location stored with each post.  If you change your username, it only has to be changed in one place rather than finding every post and changing it there.  You would have a structure like this:

User Record  -->> Post

User Record contains: UserId, User Name, Gender, Location

Post contains: UserId, DateTime Text

-->> is a one to many relationship   One user can own many posts

UserId is an internal number that is unique for each user that is never changed.

More than you wanted to know

My second favorite Author is from your side of the pond: Douglas Adams of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fame where we learn that "Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is."

Don't Panic

You know, Stephen Fry says that there's a joy in listening to opera in a language you don't understand.  You can concentrate on the music of it in a way you couldn't with the language you use for buying toilet rolls.

It was just the right amount of information, and almost in haiku.  What I know is that eight year old me had more idea of what a tinker did.  I could at least have guessed that he tinked.  I still don't think that Data Base Administrator sounds like a plausible job, like fireman, or baker or zookeeper.

I'm with you on Douglas Adams.  I was held back from being too disparaging about DBAs by his description of how the Golgafrinchans got rid of the 'useless' third of their population, including the telephone sanitizers, and were wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone.  Adams was a great lover of technology, but it's noteworthy that the first page of his books has him describe humans as 'so primitive they still thought digital watches were a pretty neat idea.'  One of the things I like about Adams is that he laughs at things people started doing after he died.  Gene Roddenberry gave the ideas that would one day become achievable and Douglas Adams primed us to laugh at the uses they'd be put to.

I like Slartibartfast.  'You may find this alarming.  It scares the willies out of me.'

8 hours ago, meganiwish said:

I still don't think that Data Base Administrator sounds like a plausible job, like fireman, or baker or zookeeper

Oh well a 40 year career as a DBA up in the proverbial puff of oily green smoke.

IBM used to marker a computer terminal called an IBM 3270 which was the epitome  of PBS (Proverbial Brick Shithouse) construction.  If/when the power supply failed in these units there would indeed be a cloud of oily green smoke.

In actuality though, in the Information Technology (IT [ which is also a TLA, two letter acronym]) world, the DBA is one of the first people called to help put out the forest fires when things go horribly wrong, and dealing with programmers is very much like being a zookeeper.  Most folks, however, think that most of a DBA's ideas are only half baked.

We seem to have strayed from the membership map topic, but this has been fun.

I said it didn't sound like a plausible job.  I cast no aspersions on those who do it, merely on the job title.

I included 'zookeeper' for a reason.  Years ago at university I had a Russian tutor whose little daughter had claimed, in a discussion at school about their parents' occupations,  that her father was a zookeeper.  She obviously deemed 'university lecturer' either too implausible or too shameful.  My money's on the latter.  I know university lecturers.

Now, as for acronyms, I'd be prepared to accept IT as an acronym if it were habitually pronounced 'it'.  To qualify as an acronym it has to be a word made of initial letters: Nato, radar, scuba, acronym.  Alternative Christian Reformers of New York Minorities. ( I believe they're less liberal than one might hope.) A group of initials doesn't really constitute an acronym.  From the same etymology comes 'acrostic'.  It's a poem where the first letter of each line spells the theme of the poem.  It really means, 'Our teacher went to the pub last night and couldn't think what to do with us today.'  Anyway, I can't allow DBA as an acronym.

Straying from the topic?  But of course.  Conversations flow so much more interestingly when you do.  You're right, this is fun, but when they come to apportion the blame it was you who digressed and led me astray.  I'm notoriously easily led, ask Amanda.

Wow the things you learn at hhplace.  For my whole career I thought DBA and TLA were acronyms, only to find out they were initialism.  That means that I'll have to revise TLA to TLI (Two/Three Letter Initialism) and then have to explain the difference between an acronym and an initialism.  I don't think anyone on this side of the pond differentiates acronym and initialism, in fact I doubt if they have ever heard of initialism. 

42 minutes ago, meganiwish said:

I cast no aspersions on those who do it

None taken.   However, please note that hhplace works as well as it does because of the great support @Tech provides and the good initial design of the database by a DBA.

55 minutes ago, meganiwish said:

Straying from the topic?

Not a serious concern.  The topic is merely a launching point for a good discussion (What was the topic anyway?).

As with any good conversation, share and enjoy.   <---click on that

One of my favorites is SNAFU - - which is what the DBA says when they screw up an SQL statement thereby causing the CEO to call him a POS - LOL

If it's beyond SNAFU, then it's TARFU and finally FUBAR.

Time for a translations of the initialism and acronyms:

SNAFU - Situation Normal All F..... Up     This is an acronym pronounced Sna-Fu

DBA -  Data Base Administrator or Doing Business As

SQL - Structured Query Language

CEO - Chief Executive Officer  related to  CFO - Chief Financial Officer

POS - Piece of Sh..

LOL - Laugh Out Loud

TARFU - Things Are Really F..... Up   (I've never used that one and had to look it up)  This is an acronym pronounced Tar-Fu

FUBAR - F..... Up Beyond All Recognition     This is an acronym pronounced Fu-Bar

And here I thought only @meganiwish @Tech and I were the only ones reading this. :roll:

Before this goes further off the deep end let me refer you to the acronym finder.

FUBAR is not to be confused with foobar, a commonly used placeholder in computer programming. Though I suspect that the latter derived from the former.

'So you're after the taste of leaves boiled in water?  With milk?  Squirted out of a cow?'  Not a true quote, I know, but it's late.

22 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

I don't think anyone on this side of the pond differentiates acronym and initialism, in fact I doubt if they have ever heard of initialism. 

It doesn't surprise me, since the time they threw our tea into the sea, rendering it undrinkable, even for Americans.

I particularly like things where the translation is no more enlightening.  'Structured Query Language'.  There's such joy in its meaninglessness. (And it is poetic, as it scans beautifully,  iambically.)

Oh, I know the debt we owe to A.T. Tech.  I think his first names are Amadeus Theophilos.  Those whom the gods love they apportion a thankless task. Or should I say, TWTGLTAATT.  We need an emoticon for that, or failing that, would one of you clever chaps like to come  up with an 'I'm not worthy' one?  Kneeling and paying hommidge (one has to spell it that way now, for fear that someone will pronounce it 'omarje').

As the great Jimmy Young  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Young_(disc_jockey) used to say at the end of his radio programme, TTFN, Ta ta for now.

Is that hommidge to rhyme with garridge and farridge (ukip)?

I think TTFN originated as a catch phrase (not sure that phrase is quite the right word here)  in a WW2 radio comedy. Possibly ITMA (It's that man again) starring Tommy Handley.

Now, now, Amadeus Theophilos, no-one's asking you to enjoy this conversation.  Let's see where it goes, though.

At9, I don't doubt you're right, but it was certainly made more famous by Jimmy Young.  Making a connection, don't you think that Katie Melua was named to have her name spoken by Terry Wogan?  I have no idea how many bicycles there are in Beijing, but I do spend a lot of time nailing wood to the floor.  It's a hobby really.

Of course, Farridge is a given.  I'm only surprised that his political opponents haven't cottoned on.  Honestly, it's a gift, but maybe the politicians aren't that bright, perish the thought.

8 hours ago, meganiwish said:

Now, now, Amadeus Theophilos, no-one's asking you to enjoy this conversation.  Let's see where it goes, though

Now Now let us not discourage @Tech's opinion as he is often correct anyway.  Our goal was to have @Tech keep us up on new features as they are installed.

For some reason (and I'm not sure what that reason is) this conversation reminded me of a phrase that was popular way back when I was an IT (previously defined) teacher that went, "When your up to your ass in alligators, it is difficult to remember that your initial behavioral objective was to drain the swamp".

I doubt we could discouridge A.T. Tech.  He wields the gods' baseball bat, which is handier than Thor's hammer.  Babe Ruth would have been rubbish using a hammer.

'Behavioural objective' (it's so much aesthetically better with the 'u')?  I suppose you meant 'aim'. ;)

I'm reminded of The Simpsons that was based on 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World'.  They wonder how they'll get out of the hole and someone suggests they dig their way out.  You hear Chief Wiggum say, 'No, dig up, stupid.'

OMG!! I'll let the transnational acronym and abbreviation experts keep fighting this one out to the bitter end. Meanwhile, as to that member map we are all longing for, I propose we use really futuristic technology and take our digital crayons and colour the locations of our members.  Perhaps put our favourite shoe style in place of a pin. One could chosse from a flat sandal, a pump, a knee or thigh boot, a wedge, or a  platform sandal. Something like a small avatar icon on a map. Such a map would tell us where the real skyscraper are. :cheeky:  Geographically yours, HappyinHeels