Pedicure - Questions About

HHCraziness

I am thinking about getting a pedicure and honestly I have no idea on what to expect.

I have been partial to closed toe shoes forever but recently I purchased a pair of T Strap Platform Sandals, the toes must be at their the best.

Curious as to the procedure. Average cost involved. Do all Nail Salons cater to men? What if I have polish applied, do I need to wear a thong type sandal? How long for the average polish to dry? How soon can i wear socks and closed toe shoes?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I have not had a pedicure but Here are some observations from my many salon visits:

20 minutes ago, HHCraziness said:

Average cost involved.

Pedicures start at around $30.

21 minutes ago, HHCraziness said:

How long for the average polish to dry? How soon can i wear socks and closed toe shoes?

The salon should have a nail dryer that will completely dry the polish in 10-15 minutes.  Most gals have worn  sandals, but most of my observations were in mild weather.  The polish should be completely dry at the end of the procedure so you should be able to wear whatever is comfortable for you, but I think most of the gals want to show off the polish.

22 minutes ago, HHCraziness said:

Do all Nail Salons cater to men?

Maybe not cater to men but they certainly would not exclude men.  These folks are running a business and a paying customer is a paying customer.  I suspect your tip would make you a "catered to" client on your next visit.

Enjoy your pedicure and let us know how it goes.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

7 hours ago, mwhh said:

There has been a great deal of attention in the press lately concerning the cleanliness of nail salons.  So, it would be prudent to pay close attention to the appearance an practices of anyplace you choose to get your nails done.

I suspect this was posted in the wrong thread.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I've been getting pedicures once a month for the past 5 years or so. It's the "ultimate in pampering." I relax and really enjoy it. Here's the procedure:

• Remove shoes and socks or knee highs, roll up pants legs if wearing long pants. Remove any jewelry such as toe rings or ankle bracelets. Soak feet in warm water (a tub usually with jets and vibration, like a mini-whirlpool bath) for a few minutes.
  • Nail tech dries feet, removes old polish, then applies liquid to soften cuticles, then scrapes growth off nail surface, then trims and files nail edges and buffs surface.
  • Nail tech files off calluses from balls of feel, heel edges, big toe, etc., then applies exfoliating salts and rubs feet and ankles to remove dead skin. Rinse and dry feet.
  • Nail tech applies liberal amount of foot lotion and massages feet, ankles, and lower legs (the massage is the best part!).
  • Nail tech removes lotion residue from nails and from bottom of feet. Put on thong sandals. Nail tech applies clear base coat, two coats of color (optional), and clear top coat, plus optional quick dry liquid and optional cuticle oil if skin around nails is dry (usually in winter).
  • If there is a drying machine, it takes a few minutes for the polish to dry thoroughly so you can put shoes and socks back on. My salon doesn't have one (yet - I'm working on that) and so I wear the thong sandals until the polish dries completely. Be careful if you drive. It's best to just sit in the waiting room until the polish is dry and hard. I have scuffed up soft polish on occasion and it's embarrassing to tell the nail tech you messed up and may you please have a nail redone.
  • Pay bill, leave generous tip, and make appointment for next visit.

If you select a gel coat, you put your toes under a UV lamp for a few seconds while the gel coat cures. It's immediately hard and doesn't require any time to dry. It's more expensive because gel coat is much more difficult to remove, but it lasts longer. I usually get a full month with regular polish on my toes, so I don't see the benefit of gel coat on the toes. At the salon I visit, they charge $40 for a regular pedicure, and I give an $8 tip (20%). My present nail tech is a cute 20-year old gal, and we have a great conversation. She doesn't have the artistic skill that my previous one had, but she can at least put the polish on the nail and, using nail polish remover on a fine paint brush, take off any polish she accidentally gets on the adjacent skin. My previous nail tech would want to do things like pumpkins and witches for Halloween, green shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day, and fireworks and stars and stripes for Independence Day!

Have fun. Pedicures and manicures are a wonderful experience and I love going to the salon each month to visit my girlfriends. I also get a haircut every other month, and an eyebrow waxing on alternate months. At my salon, if I get three things done at the same visit, I get a 10% discount. The attached photo shows a brownish grey nail color I got at my last pedi in early December. It's time for another pedi, which is scheduled for January 5, next Tuesday. Can't wait!

Steve

Aerosoles Platonic brown 2.jpg

Several very good explanations. I'll only add that it is a very pleasant experience, completely non-threatening. Two of the three I've gone to are perfectly fine with adding color on a guy's toenails, and even suggest new colors to try.

Regards, Logjam

On January 1, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Northeasthee said:

I was given a gift card for one about a year ago. All I can say is it was excellent. Lovely lady did the pedicure, even offered to add polish at end. Your feel will feel fantastic afterwards, relax and enjoy! :) 

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I have perhaps become jaded by my life experience. I had my first pedicure in Southern Califormia back in 1994 at a Vietnamese nail salon, and I just loved it. 

Fast forward 17 years, and I found myself married to a Vietnamese woman, hanging out in a nail salon with my wife's friends. I got free pedicures all the time. I became fast friends with one of the women working there, and my feet were fairly constantly pampered. There was some quid pro quo, as I did work for her in my area of expertise, but then came the sad day when she decided to quit the nail business. Sad for me, good for her. I'm not sure it's the healthiest profession. 

After that, I would occasionally bug the women who were still working there for pedicures, and they would give them to me (they have consistently refused to take my money), but it just wasn't the same as it was with my friend. So eventually I stopped going there. To me, my feet are kind of personal, and I'm not going to let just anybody touch them. I learned well from observing the nail shop girls, and so today, I do my own. I usually do my 6 year old son at the same time. 

See the two attached photos: Me and my son on pedicure night, and me and my friend, the former nail technician, who is a high heel girl, and accepts me for who I am at face value. 

image.png

image.png

Wow... family photos.  Not something you normally see here at hhplace.  Enjoy it while you can.  I suspect there will be a time when that young man will not want to admit to his friends that his dad does his nails.  Such are the pains of growing up.

• Like 1

HHCraziness,

You have gotten some great first advice here. Steve63130 summarized the experience at his salon and I have gone there twice with him while visiting and it was a relaxing and lovely experience. I went both times in platform sandals and both times they added color to my toenails. The approach you make take toward an unknown place may be different. Locate several possible places and then check sites like yelp.com for comments from customers. Walk into one of them with the most positive feedback. You don't have to wear heels the first time just ease into it. Ask ahead of time about the fee. Most normal pedicures do start around $30. If they say something like $50 because they think you have never had it done before then walk out. A reputable place will welcome your business and questions. While you are getting your pedicure listen and watch for the signs that tub water is being changed which is a  health requirement. I wear pantyhose all the time and  it does take some time for normal polish to be completely tack-free. You could wear your sandals barefoot on the way out or you could get the gel coat which dries very fast. 

Once you get your first one you will want to get another...and another! It is not only about a nice look but also about good feet care which helps the whole person.

HappyinHeels

• Like 1