The BOOT

hh_pe

My heel wearing days are on hold, hopefully only for a few months. I have developed tendinitis of the Achilles Tendon due to a bone spur rubbing the tendon.  The doctor has put me in "the boot", a low top walking boot, for four weeks to keep the ankle from flexing.  What I find interesting is how many people do not notice the boot under my jeans.  They notice my awkward stride, and then only realize I have the boot on after I point it out to them.  From a psychological view point, it is further evidence backing the statements many other members have made indicating the general public does not notice what type of foot wear you have on.  To help walk "normally", I have worn one of my 1-inch flats to match the height of the boot without anyone taking a second look.

I got stuck with one of those after toe surgery (bone spur) several years ago.  I found it convenient to wear a black knee high boot on the other foot to match "the boot".  Another gal in the office had a much more severe foot injury and was in a "boot" for a long time.  She thought the match boot style was neat and often wore the same thing.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hope you recover quickly HHpe.  And, you are right, we tend to be "our own worst enemy" as my Mom would say.  A lack of confidence certainly causes me to be more uneasy and noticeable when I'm booted publicly.  The other thing I'm guilty of is thinking others are like myself, I always look at everyone's footwear usually before looking at their faces.  The fact is that most people have little interest in what shoes/boots others are wearing, they are much too busy playing with their phones or getting to wherever it is they are trying to go. 

Needless to say, it is kind of hard NOT to notice a guy in 5" heels, even when not paying attention.  I don't have the "confidence", or the figure to pull off the look I desire, although I am making "small strides" when it comes to booted confidence.