Heeling On The 4Th Of July

mlroseplant

I attended a 4th of July picnic (American Independence Day) this evening. The host was one of my union brothers, an electrician who is not working with me currently, and whom I haven't really seen in a number of years. I decided to wear skinny jeans with a men's polo shirt and my Söfft Belicia sandals with a 3 3/4 inch thicker heel. Maybe some would call it a block heel. Very little platform on these shoes. It's basically like really thick padding.

This was a blue collar, working class party, so I was a little nervous about how I would be received. My host, whom I had roomed with when we were on the road several years ago, asked immediately about my shoes, and I replied in a joking manner. It was ok after that. My host's wife mentioned that she has a pair of sandals almost exactly like the ones I was wearing. She kind of fished around in her questioning to see if I were a cross dresser, but I told her that what she saw there was pretty much as far as it went, except that the heels I'd chosen were pretty low for me. She looked at my wife and said, "Those are low? Is that right?" My wife nodded and said, "Yaaa, that's right." Nothing more was said for the remainder of the evening, except for a little girl about 8 years old came up to me and told me that she liked my shoes.

Speaking of being pretty low, I'm glad that I did not choose higher or thinner heels to wear, because I wound up playing baseball. Luckily, the ground was hard enough to where it didn't slow me down too much. However, I'm considering the purchase of a pair of low-ish wedges just for an occasion like this. I already own 2 pairs of wedges, but they are pretty high and platform-y and really girly and not all that stable on uneven ground and. . . well, I just didn't want to wear them.

Here are a couple of pictures, one of the shoes, and the other of me playing catcher.

post-19325-0-81198700-1436104369_thumb.j

post-19325-0-71865500-1436104382_thumb.j

Mlroseplant, First of all, Happy a Fourth of July. Great story with pictures as proof!! I like your ssndals, they really look nice, but I am not sure about wearing them to play baseball, that took a lot of courage. I have gone to similar outings and had reactions like you received. Some curious questions and that's that. But, I bet you are the topic of discussion at someone's coffee table this morning!! ha ha....

After all they are just shoes. Good for you.

And the best part, you (like me) have a supportive and I assume wonderful wife. Take care, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Hey, Mlroseplant, great shoes! They look just like mine! lol

Glad you had a good holiday and fun picnic! We enjoyed our celebration, too. Our village has a "mile long parade" and my wife (Vice Mayor) marched in it, passing out candy to children. I spectated. I wore a red polo shirt, white jeans, blue ball cap, and blue sandals (White Mountain "Terrace") with 3.5" heels, shown below. After the parade we went to our retirement center dining room and ate picnic food with other residents. A good time was had by all!

Steve

post-4071-0-78181200-1436197747_thumb.jp