Getting Pumps That Fit

Bcup

I seem to have a terrible time getting a pair of pumps that fit well and that are not too tight or so loose that they fall off when walking. If I buy in my normal size they seem to be loose and won't stay on. I love the look of pumps and would like to wear them more. What is the secret here? I am comfortable with a 3 inch heel or so. Thanks for any help.

Heather

Sadly, there isn't any secret to it. If you're like me, you will hardly ever find a pair of pumps that work really well. If I try a pair of pumps that are the right length, they are too tight at the front of the shoe, simply because my feet are much wider than the average woman's foot that the shoe was designed for. So I have to go up a size, and then the toe area fits reasonably well but the shoe is too long, and it wants to fall off as I walk. So, mostly it has to be boots, sandals, or something with straps that work better. I have occasionally found a wide fitting style that works, but those are rare.

Try Aerosoles shoes.  They come in size 12 and are very comfortable.  I had the same problem, wanted a nice pair of pumps but could not get the proper fit, until I tried Aerosoles.  I have only one pair (Magical Power - and they are - ha ha), and they are perfect!!  I have also tried other Aerosoles pump styles, all have similar comfort.  

And their sandals are nice too!!!   Try 'em and see what you think….   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Like I try to tell my wife, or more like we argue about it. Don't buy shoes that fit like you want them to in the store. Shoes stretch. It may take a few wearing and I have even had to resort to liquid shoes stretch but in the end I win.

Example. I bought a pair of BAKERS boots that were advertised as 8.5. They were size 8. They were very tight. It just took a while of wearing them for short periods. Now I can wear them for days....and I have.

The other thing is your trying to put a foot that has not been accustomed to a pointy shoes into a pointy shoe.

It has taken me years of wearing woman's shies, not on a daily basis, to REALLY get my foot trained for woman's shoes. My big toe use to really bulge out of the side of a pair of pumps but now they dont. I had these really pointy narrow boots on for like 2 days that finally "broke" my feet so they would fit heels. I could tell this was happening over the years though. Those boots were the last straw.

I've had sucess in using a good quality shoe stretcher.  I have wide feet and almost all my heels started off squeezing my toes.  Secret is to stretch them slowly.  Also keep in mind that leather stretches better than man made materials, although I've had good results stretching both. they make a "high heel" shoe stretcher that has the toe part angled from the main part so it fits much better into a very high heel shoe.

Try Aerosoles shoes.  They come in size 12 and are very comfortable.  I had the same problem, wanted a nice pair of pumps but could not get the proper fit, until I tried Aerosoles.  I have only one pair (Magical Power - and they are - ha ha), and they are perfect!!  I have also tried other Aerosoles pump styles, all have similar comfort.  

And their sandals are nice too!!!   Try 'em and see what you think….   sf

I'll echo those comments of Aerosoles shoes, as I have many pairs of them and they are very comfortable pumps, to wear.

Also Naturalizer, is another brand of comfortable, pumps and shoes.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Hey Bluejay, do you buy Naturalizers in wide widths?  Because their regular width shoes I find to be on the narrow side.  Seems I used to be able to wear most of their shoes in size 11, but the last couple years, there is no way I could wear an 11, and even the few 11 wides I have found tend to run small for me.  Then I go to a 12, and they are simply too long.  I have had a lot of trouble with Naturalizer these days.  I found a pair of their "Lennox" pumps, a very basic pump with a maybe 1/3 inch platform, in the sale rack at my local Famous Footwear and was so excited to see a size 12 (must have been a return as they don't ever have 12s on the regular shelf).  I tried them on and even though a 12, my toes were getting srunched (and these are somewhat rounded toes) and the shoe was digging into the top of my foot at the base of my big toe.  Would have bought those, but the fit was awful for me.  Or maybe they were just a factory defect and that's why they were returned to begin with.

Hey Bluejay, do you buy Naturalizers in wide widths?  Because their regular width shoes I find to be on the narrow side.  Seems I used to be able to wear most of their shoes in size 11, but the last couple years, there is no way I could wear an 11, and even the few 11 wides I have found tend to run small for me.  Then I go to a 12, and they are simply too long.  I have had a lot of trouble with Naturalizer these days.  I found a pair of their "Lennox" pumps, a very basic pump with a maybe 1/3 inch platform, in the sale rack at my local Famous Footwear and was so excited to see a size 12 (must have been a return as they don't ever have 12s on the regular shelf).  I tried them on and even though a 12, my toes were getting srunched (and these are somewhat rounded toes) and the shoe was digging into the top of my foot at the base of my big toe.  Would have bought those, but the fit was awful for me.  Or maybe they were just a factory defect and that's why they were returned to begin with.

Most of my Naturalizer shoes are regular width. I wear a size 11 and they fit fine.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

My previous post said it was rare for me to find a pair of pumps that fit really well. I thought I would add just a bit more to the discussion. It is generally true that if you find a pair of pumps that fit perfectly in the store, they will very quickly become too loose and tend to fall off as you walk. They must be just a little too tight initially, because they will stretch. My own experience is that when I first put on a pair of high heeled pumps, even ones that I've worn a number of times, they feel too tight at first. After 20 to 30 minutes, the shoes stretch a little and adapt to the shape of my feet, and at the same time my feet adapt a little to the shape of the shoe, and then they feel fine.

The trick is to know just how much too tight they should feel in the store, especially since some shoes (leather) will stretch more than others (synthetic). You can't spend half an hour in the store walking around in a pair of shoes to judge how they will fit, so getting the right fit involves some guess work and some experience. Adding to the problem is the fact that most shoes are not available in half sizes above size 10. In my own case, most size 11 shoes are too small (an 11W is sometimes OK) but size 12 is too big. Size 11.5 would be just right, but isn't available.

Consider a cushioned insole.  They take up a little space and add a lot to the comfort.  There are also pads that go into the sides of the heel box that help the shoe grip the foot.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.