It Finally Happened

My first bad experience.

At lunch and not hiding my heels at all

Also wearing my Enzo wedges that really stick out. The guy across from me saw them which did not really bother me. I was just going to see how things went. Well he ended up taking a pic. Not sure if he got all of me or just my feet.

I got up and went over and confronted him. He of course denied it.

I saw the phone come out and new he was working up to try to get a pic. I thought about moving to the booth and now wish I had. I also should have said something when he was working on getting the phone pointed towards me but I did not think of it.

Oh well. Just hope my face does not wind up on facebook.

This is REALLY funny/ironic.

I typed in a search for man in heels in my town and a link came up for a man in heels that robbed a bank. I think he had on pumps.

Hope the cops don't come looking for me.

I recently had a picture taking couple do this in Starbucks. The woman was also chastising the guy lightly for being " juvenile" about it. I did not confront them but looked right at him and his face turned very red. I guess i don't really care where the pic ends up. I just wish grown adults would not act like middle school children.

A little more positive perspective: On the other hand you're going out as you look for everybody to see. So if more people see you as you are (if he puts the pic online) thats not that different. Some people might post negative comments but that also happens with other pictures even of the most beautiful person alive (just an example) some people will find something to compain about. And I'm gonna destroy a dutch saying here since translating usually doesn't work but gonna do it anyway: people better laugh about you than cry about you. ;)

It's kinda rude to just take pics of people but it's not the worst bad experience possible either as i've read about people being physically and verbally abused as well.

"He wanted to live life in such a way that if a photograph were taken at random it would be a cool photograph. Things should look right. Fun; there should be a lot of fun and no more sadness than absolutely necessary."

David Nicholls, One Day, 2010

Apple's iPhone currently is the number 1 camera on Flickr - beating SLR and compact camera models. Nowadays, there is a camera everywhere. A camera to take photos with, or even an HD camera for movies - all in one's pocket.

You might also be on a surveillance tape without you even noticing. If you wear heels, you will have to accept that people may take a picture of you and post it somewhere on the net. The only recommendation I can give: Smile. And if you are in a movie, try to walk gracefully :-)

Sounds to me like you're the one that made a negative experience out of it.

Why did you even bother to confront the guy?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

During my mall outing my first "off" experience of the day was the kid and his Dad taking my my picture while trying on shoes in a Torrid store. The last "off" experience was a carload of schmucks yelling, "What the f-bomb," in a violent tone. I'll take the picture taking over violent sounding words anyday.

Sorry that your outing took on an unpleasant tone. Wishing you better future outings.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Facebook / twitter are huge places.the very size of them pretty much assures anonymity. I would be very surprised anyone you know would ever see the image unless you already knew the person who actually uploaded it in the first place. :fine:

It's unfortunately part of modern life. You're going to get your picture taken. It's undoubtedly not the first time. I'd just let it go next time. Then it won't really be negative. Either that, or ham it up!

I haven't seen a picture of me wearing heels on any media ports. Then again, I haven't been curious enough to search either. For the number of times I have publicly worn heels with my shirt and jeans outfits, I'd be really surprised if there weren't some pictures of me around. Wearing heels is a personal choice and when others find it interesting to the point of getting a picture, I'm happy to have opened their minds to the idea, if not the reality there are guys choosing to wear high heels, even stilettos, despite the social programming. Of course I wish the fact that guys wearing heels weren't such anomalies. The only way that is going to be changed is by more people having the chance to see activities that guys wearing heels are also in. Walking a mile in her shoes is a great cause, but showing others you choose to wear heels just because you want to is a better step in the positive directions. Otherwise, manly men will have to continue their secrecies and their deceptions about how they really feel about wearing heels. Kind of ironic that the ones noted for having the greater strength and are socially endowed with stewarding power are having to cower before others, because of the misunderstood and gnarled conception of how men and women are perceived when they choose to wear non-stereotypical items that really have no preference as to who picks to wear it or should I say to wear the pairs of it.

A better scenario, when you saw a guy taking your photo, would be to lift your pant leg for a better view, smile and let him know YOU know he's taking your photo. He'll probably cower and disappear into the woodwork...lol.

Doing it that way shows that you're confident and not at all embarrassed about being seen in heels or having your picture taken.

Steve

If you are going to wear heels in public, you had better gett used to people making comments and taking pictures. Today anyone with a cell phane has a camera so it happens. Also in most areas it is not illegal to take a picture of someone in a public place, so no use in making an issue over it. I like the one response of letting the pic taker know you saw him, then pose for a picture. Run with it, or stay home.

The points about the positives of being seen and being cool about it are right in my opinion. This is the way we pave the way for others. The pettiness of such interactions aside, often people are really curious when the see something outside the norm. I was in a mall once walking behind a heavily pierced and tattooed couple. I was watching the looks and reactions, very interesting indeed.

I think it is more the WAY he did it. First he acted like he was texting. Then I could tell he was zooming in on something on his camera. All the time avoiding looking at me after I saw that he noticed. Then was the gradual working the phone up and turning it in my direction while looking the other way and then taking the pic. This all took a good 15 minutes at least. I new he was working it and I thought about moving to the next table and should have.

I think I would have been OK with it if he had just taken a pic instead of trying to act like he was not taking the pic.

It reminds me of this little black kid that yelled out "boy got on girl shoes" about 20 yrs ago. Just a feeling that has never gone away and neither will this one.

I am willing to accept criticism but the way this happened I just did not like it.

After all I live my daily live in heels And yes I get a few double takes or someone turns and looks as I pass by. I would to if I saw ME walking thru home depot.

I just hope nothing bad happens when my wife or kids are around.

Sorry to hear about your experience Heels, although these situations seem unavoidable these days.  I really like Steve's advice, kind of along the lines of "never let them see you sweat".  Trust me, I'm not saying I would have been able to keep my cool in this situation, but sure wish I could handle it the way Steve prescribes. 

Like Steve says, lifting your pants for a better view, probably would have embarrassed the jerk, and he would have cowered away, but who knows.

I am envious of your courage.

Don

I think it is more the WAY he did it. First he acted like he was texting. Then I could tell he was zooming in on something on his camera. All the time avoiding looking at me after I saw that he noticed. Then was the gradual working the phone up and turning it in my direction while looking the other way and then taking the pic. This all took a good 15 minutes at least. I new he was working it and I thought about moving to the next table and should have.

I think I would have been OK with it if he had just taken a pic instead of trying to act like he was not taking the pic.

It reminds me of this little black kid that yelled out "boy got on girl shoes" about 20 yrs ago. Just a feeling that has never gone away and neither will this one.

I am willing to accept criticism but the way this happened I just did not like it.

After all I live my daily live in heels And yes I get a few double takes or someone turns and looks as I pass by. I would to if I saw ME walking thru home depot.

Yeah, that would bug me too. I don't know how I would handle a situation like that. Probably differently than I would have a year ago.

One of the very few negative experiences I've had was when I was with my wife and one of our kids. Guy had some nerve saying to my wife, "Did you know he's wearing women's shoes? That's kind of gay." My wife shushed me, and nothing came of it. I'm still at a loss to know how to react to that one. Obviously, some people cannot be troubled by etiquette of any sort.

Yeah, that would bug me too. I don't know how I would handle a situation like that. Probably differently than I would have a year ago.

One of the very few negative experiences I've had was when I was with my wife and one of our kids. Guy had some nerve saying to my wife, "Did you know he's wearing women's shoes? That's kind of gay." My wife shushed me, and nothing came of it. I'm still at a loss to know how to react to that one. Obviously, some people cannot be troubled by etiquette of any sort.

I had one somewhat experience where my big athlete of a son defended me by saying " what its to you jerk? " My wife probably would have replied..." no you can't ask him out " 

I would have responded with, "You don't know what you're talking about. Clothing choices actually have nothing to do with sexual preference. I happen to be straight, but I prefer women's heels because they make me taller, they fit better, they're fun, and they're more stylish. There are plenty of fashion forward guys like me who do this but it may be the first time you've noticed. By the way, I have a friend who is gay and he wears a shirt just like the one you're wearing! Have a nice day."

Steve

Great approach Steve!  "Me thinks thou protests too much" is an important concept to remember in these situations.  Guys who are the most vocal are probably the most insecure in their masculinity, and are harboring a secret desire to wear heels. 

Needless to say, this is much easier "said then done" when caught in such an unpleasant situation. 

I like Steve suggestion about showing a little ankle.  Another option is to take his picture (even if your phone doesn't have a camera you can go through the motions).  I pulled that off once.

:camera:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hi Heels2U, I have read your stories with high interest.

Often turns out that what is deceiving is discovering how badly we react to a given situation.
Maybe with more interactions with other people, we could improve our spontaneity

W6ish- The photos are taken in admiration of how great you look buddy.

Have had a little time to reflect on Steve's advice some more.  While I think a comeback like that is great, I would caution against using such a great response, possible physical violence might result, especially if the heckler is in a group.   

Yes, you're right. You don't want to provoke a fight. Good judgment is paramount, and sometimes it's better just to walk away than try to educate an idiot. Always look out for your own safety first. Getting beaten up over clothing is not a good outcome.

Steve

Yes, you're right. You don't want to provoke a fight. Good judgment is paramount, and sometimes it's better just to walk away than try to educate an idiot. Always look out for your own safety first. Getting beaten up over clothing is not a good outcome.

Steve

Hence, my original comment.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

ha ha ha…  I like Steve's comment about the shirt!!!  

Over the years I have been photographed a few times, probably more when I wasn't aware.  I don't really like it, if someone want's to take a pic of me it would be much more civil for them to ask, I would be OK with that.  

However, wearing gals shoes (especially heels) in public, and given the ease of photographing with cell phones etc, I assume the risk that the world is full of un-civil (is that a word?) people who do stupid and unthinking stuff.  I imagine that I show up on some Facebook pages somewhere.  

Generally though it has not been a problem.  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Hi Heels2U, I have read your stories with high interest.

Often turns out that what is deceiving is discovering how badly we react to a given situation.

Maybe with more interactions with other people, we could improve our spontaneity

Yea that's kind of what I have been doing but the problem is I guess I want to be "seen" on my terms.

Like yesterday. I had on an extremely hi pair of boots. I got out of the car to go to lunch and my pant leg was hung up on the boot exposing the entire heel. I just left it and went in to eat lunch. NOBODY noticed.

So I leave and it happened again. I was talking to the lady at the checkout when 2 ladies came up to check out. I could tell that they noticed but I was talking to someone else. I just went about what I was doing. Looking back I wish I had or could have said something. I would have been nice. So something like that was on my terms.

It's little tests like these that get me (you) more comfortable in public.

Don't worry. This has not slowed me down. Is still wear heels everyday and I can think of any place I won't wear them.

I kind of don't look at my favorite shoes the same though.