What Do You Wear Shoe Shopping

jerbare

I have been thinking about this for a while. I never go shoe shopping without a pair of heels on. They might be pumps or 5" stellots boots or 3" booties but I always have on a pair of heels. I find that the SA is more open and helpful when they see the heels. I know from the past times that I have shopped at Payless when I stop they remark about my heels and some new ones that I might like.

Well today they called about a new pair that I ordered came in. I changed twice to get the look to fit with the shoes. Attached is the pair that I recived and what I was wearing to get them. The new pair are 5" Oxfords I really like the style and have 8 different pair. The one that I wore are a bootie that I also have in at least 6 different stylespost-16522-0-99371700-1418078965_thumb.jpost-16522-0-71122000-1418079034_thumb.jpost-16522-0-64193100-1418079107_thumb.j

I don't always wear heels but I'm almost always freestyling when I go shoe shopping. I agree, it makes for a more positive experience both for myself and the sales assistants, and I think other customers seem more relaxed about it too.

If I have a particular pair of shoes or boots in mind I'll try to wear something suitable for trying them on, both in terms of a style/colours that might work with the shoes and in practical terms too (choice of hosiery, bootcut/skinny jeans or a skirt). Of course that's sometimes not possible, you end up walking into a shoe store on impulse and trying on some unlikely style combinations, which is not that big a deal, it's common to see customers in smart office wear trying on casual shoes or vice-versa.

The last time I went into a shoe store recently I was wearing my black patent court heels with black opaque tights, a tartan bodycon mini skirt and a black turtleneck under a denim jacket. I had in mind to try on some just-over-the-knee black suede boots which would've been impossible to try on with bootcut jeans.

If you like it, wear it.

While shopping for heels and I don't indicate my intentions, for the sales assistant(s) needing to ask me who the heels are for, when I'm not in heels, means that I have already given them an impression that I'm ashamed to be seen wearing heels. With my heels on, they could still ask, but I'm more in control to affirm their inquiry or let them know I'm shopping for a gift. In the latter situation the experience is totally a positive exercise that puts me in the light of being trustworthy and confident. The SA(s) will also have a better outlook in knowing their customer was up front and satisfied with their service as long as the SA(s) act appropriately according to the expectations of their employment, in spite of or due to their personal attitude about guys wearing high heels. 

Sometime I hope to go in to shop wearing a pair of Jasmine Oxfords from Payless - almost mad it to the door once but then fear overcame.  I know that once I have done it - it becomes easier.  Only a couple of years ago did I actuall try on in the store with the help of the SA.  It was a great experience that I have done it many many times with positive results (unless they do ignore my presense in the store.

I do envy those able to go into most any store and find something to try - but at 13, limitations abound.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I just bought the jasmine oxfords I went there wearing a pair of 3" booties I ordered them at the store and the SA called me when they arrived. She went back and brought them out and was with me trying them on.

I have never had a problem there while there with them on I checked out several other heels.

jerbare,

I wear either ankle boots or pumps in the cooler months and wedges in the warmer months but always with at least a 5" heel. I may or may not carry a handbag but generally have a fairly androgynous look except for the obvious higher heels. It not only makes my shopping experience more enjoyable but it certainly sends the message to any sales staff that I am serious about what  I am looking for. You'll get better service every time and likely some nice comments from others as well. It is a tried and tested technique of many here.  HappyinHeels

I don't always get to plan what I am going to wear since sometimes I just go shoe shopping. It's good to wear something easy to get on and off and I try to wear hose so the new shoes go on easier. Nothing worse than seeing a man struggle to get on a pair of woman's shoes. I also try to have/wear very thin socks to get the fit right.

Just bought a pair of boots that I went down 1/2 size with hose but when they stretch I may wear socks.

I like a snug fit. I also find that helps with walking.

Lol! Good answer, Mr Shafted.

If I'm out shopping for boots I normally wear tights, (if it's winter), under bootcut jeans or stockings if it's summer. On my feet I usually wear either combat boots, New Rock knee length 'Reactor' boots or my favourite New Rock 'Cuna' knee-boots. Nothing with a mega-high heel so that I can make a run for it if I need to... I live in a big city on the South Coast & there are a lot of very nasty people around here.

Before I became brave I used to take my lady with me & ask her to try them on for me as we're both the same size feet. If my target shop is crowded with youngsters or it simply doesn't 'feel right', she will still try them on for me, but if the shop is empty she will engage the sales assistant in conversation before asking me if I'd like to try on a certain pair of boots. I find it helps break the ice & can lead to some very amusing exchanges with the sales assistants, who usually end up being really helpful & enthusiastic. One of the young sales assistants has since become a good friend & tips us off when any new boots come in, usually managing keeping a pair aside in my size until I have had the chance to try them on

I wear clothes. :)

I'm sure that is appreciated by all. :penitent:

--------------

When shopping for shoes or anyting else I wear my thigh boots with 5 1/4" stiletto heels.  The shops I go to seem to appreciate what I'm wearing (at least mostWhen shopping of the clerks do).

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I wear clothes. :)

This and a pleasant attitude seems to go far. Just find what you want, ask for it in what you think your size might be, and if they ask if they are for a significant other just say "Actually, these are for me, can I try them on?" and I've never had an issue. Wish I'd known 20 years ago. Oh well.

(formerly known as "JimC")

I have worn heeled boots and/or shoes while specifically shopping for new boots or shoes. However just as many times while not really shopping for heeled shoes I have found nice footwear that I have purchased by bumpimg into nice shops and places unexpectedly. Those times I have have sandals on or something else on.  Just like any shopping, one can really find nice items when you are not looking for them.

That being said if I am online shopping I most definately have a pair boots on!

Okay forgot to add, that I will wear a pair of nice hoseiry or knee highs which is where with any shoes boots anyways.

Nice jeans or pants with a 34" inseam which what I wear with any shoes boots, then depending on season a nice polo shirt

or androgynous top.

Have you bought high heels with the intention of wearing one of the new pair as you leave the store? Have you then visited other stores to shop for more heels holding the bag and shoe box(es)?

I have not, because it would violate my 2 mile rule. I never wear a new pair of heels in a truly "public" place without first trying them out several times around my neighborhood, under the semi-cover of darkness. If I can't walk 2 miles in reasonable comfort, I don't wear them out for real.

This rule has served me well. It's been since my heeling infancy that I've been stuck on the wrong end of a mall in agony.